There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Owen Marecic Convertible MG of Specialness

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ertheman:
can someone tell me a few occasions where a player was used wrong and went somewhere new and The coach utilized him better. besides a QB. please bc saying that harb will know how to use him is stupid. If the player is good then he can f**kin figure out how to be productive in his predicament. the dude is not good and will do nothing for us. mark my words. Harb just wanted to get one of his former fave players some money. he probably has financial problems or something.
LOL, who knows... you could be right
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
all the players you guys are listing had potential...they were drafted high or showed rare ability.

and why is Marshall Faulk's name mentioned? dude was great in Indy.

we are talking about a slow/short for his position FB/LB. I would love for him to surprise me in some way, but I just don't see it when I see his highlights.

Blocking H-Back that understands the offense - can train McDonald and recognize immediately from film what they ask Walker to do.

Jim didnt run the pistol in Stanford

He still doesn't really. We aren't a pistol offense.
what the hell all of yall are totally changing the subject... it was not about low draft picks being useless or what ever...it was about players doing bad for one team, then going to another team to being much better.

the very few who did do that were because they had potential...either Athletically or were just gifted in on the field.

Ahmad Brooks was ALWAYS gifted athletically.

I understand your point. Players are who they are, more or less. But schemes and position adjustments can have a huge affect on a player's productivity. Here are my examples:

Justin Smith- First round talent, massive physical attributes. The Bengals wanted him to be a 4-3 end that racked up sacks. He just didn't have the speed around the edge. The switch to 3-4 end, which many said was a mistake since he is somewhat undersized for that position, resurrected a promising career. If he stayed in Cincinnati, he would have never been a pro-bowler.

Ahmad Brooks- Again, Cincinnati. They could never decide what to do with him. He spent time as an ILB, OLB (4-3), and defensive end. Massive potential but never used properly.

Doug Flutie- My favortie no-Niner QB of all-time. He just needed to ply his trade in the CFL for a few years before another team would give him a shot. The Patriots wanted him to be a savior. Buffalo just wanted him to be scrappy and win some games.

I have no idea what Owen Marecic will bring to the team. I think Miller is a much better FB. But who the hell knows? Miller has done well, but would you say he is a superstar? Perhaps Owen can either push him, teach him, or provide some asset that Miller can't.
Didn't we bring in a guy named Chris Harper to be our H-Back? We have Baldwin as well...and now Marecic. I wonder if we'll ever actually use them some day.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM ]
At least we don't have to bring in a dline guy as an extra blocker on goal line plays.
If Marecic is activated for games, like it seems he will be, which current activated player will get replaced come gametime? and which special team's player is he going to replace...and do you think so.

Still just seems very confusing with this signing.

maybe its that #41 guy Verhone (sp?) Safety mainly used for Special Teams.
If Marecic is activated for games, like it seems he will be, which current activated player will get replaced come gametime? and which special team's player is he going to replace...and do you think so.

That would be my best guess as well.

Originally posted by hofer36:
there interest in marecic came before the start of the season and seems generated by harbaugh's affliction for him more than anything else

Fixed.
Had a huge impact being active for this game... when other players come back from the PUP list, someone else is going to have to get cut.
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows1m
Source: #49ers plan to release fullback Owen Marecic, whom they signed last month.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Source: #49ers plan to release fullback Owen Marecic, whom they signed last month.

they just signed him to scare Bruce Miller
peace out loser
Originally posted by crabman82:

Oh really? LMAO! That's some ground breaking news. What, they signed a guy NEVER to use?

How about when? How?
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows3m
A little intrigue: The #49ers will release two players (one of whom is Marecic) and presumably add two. All to be revealed in due time...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home