There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Owen Marecic Convertible MG of Specialness

The more time that passes seems the less likely we are to sign him. If it isn't done on Monday I don't think it happens.
Last time our HOF coach got a man crush on a RB/FB, it didn't work out well. Remember Walsh little man-crush on Tommy Vardell... I still do.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ice49er:
I rather have Owen Marecic than Nate Stupar. Stupar only started 7 games at Penn State at OLB. Marecic started 14 games at ILB and 4 years at FB at Stanford.
If you wish to bash this move then please tell me why you want Stupar over Marecic.

by nfl standards, marecic is unathletic in space. he would be hopeless as a nfl linebacker. while he's nothing special, stupar can move in all directions better than marecic. marecic's only hope, in the nfl, is as a straight-ahead, lead blocker. he has an hard time beating defenders with his athleticism. that's the difference between college and the nfl--special athleticism.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by Ice49er:
I rather have Owen Marecic than Nate Stupar. Stupar only started 7 games at Penn State at OLB. Marecic started 14 games at ILB and 4 years at FB at Stanford.
If you wish to bash this move then please tell me why you want Stupar over Marecic.

by nfl standards, marecic is unathletic in space. he would be hopeless as a nfl linebacker. while he's nothing special, stupar can move in all directions better than marecic. marecic's only hope, in the nfl, is as a straight-ahead, lead blocker. he has an hard time beating defenders with his athleticism. that's the difference between college and the nfl--special athleticism.

Hip flexors! Man why you looking at my a$$
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
There is no point to him. Bruce Miller is faster. Where are we going to play him? And who from the 53 are we going to cut to put this guy on the roster so we can never play him? LB? No way he is going to play that on our team? Special teams? We are going to cut from the 53 just so Owen Marecic can be on the roster?

This move is rediculous and makes no sense. If he can't make the Cleveland roster what in world is he going to do on our roster?

the argument that if he couldn't make Cleveland how could he help the niners may not be valid, as im not sure id trust the Cleveland organization to get the best out of a propsect
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
What do you mean?

There were reports about Costanzo just having been a really weird dude in the locker room, ranging from just being an oddball in a not-so amusing way to him being kind of pervy.

links please--id love to read them...always like something a bit salacious..i presume it wasn't coming from the matts (maiocco or barrows)...maybe grant cohn, he seems desperate
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I'm a little worried about this one though. I mean, by all accounts, Harbaugh is in LOVE with Marecic. His ability to make a rational decision on this one might be clouded because of that.

I mean, if I was the 49ers coach, and Shakira was on the waiver wire, I would put her on the 53 and not even give a s**t if she could play football. I just want her on the damn plan sitting near me.

Harbaugh likes Marecic because he was an excellent football player at Stanford, not because he likes the way he shakes that ass.

I think it goes beyond that. He likes EVERYTHING about him. He just LIKES the guy, as a person, personality, leader, football player, etc.
His wife even said that he looks at Marecic like a man looks at a beautiful woman. Like he is in awe in his presence. How talented can he be if he can't make the Cleveland Browns 53?
If he was a special teams demon he should have at least made their 53.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by redrathman:
There is no point to him. Bruce Miller is faster. Where are we going to play him? And who from the 53 are we going to cut to put this guy on the roster so we can never play him? LB? No way he is going to play that on our team? Special teams? We are going to cut from the 53 just so Owen Marecic can be on the roster?

This move is rediculous and makes no sense. If he can't make the Cleveland roster what in world is he going to do on our roster?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/153846-san-francisco-49ers-selects-bruce-miller-central-florida/page5/search=Bruce%20miller

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. To take a guy who was one of the best sack artists in his league and try to force him into becomming a FB. A position he never played before at any level. The guy got so many sacks for a reason... And there are OLB pass rushers his size. At least try him there first for goodness sake...

This is the type of guy the WZ faithful will gleefully call "bust" or "wasted pick" in a year or a few years. But you see we busted him! We are asking him to play something he never played before and is not comfortable with. Rather than the super productive defensive player he was. OLB pass rusher would be perfect for him. He can rush the passer and was productive at it. Try him there!

Yeah. I'm going to default to Harbaugh in evaluating fullback talent. Maybe he's going to replace Dobbs and Tukuafu in the jumbo package. Maybe he's going to play special teams. Either way, I'm not thinking it's the dumb move I've ever seen.

straight up called SD out on his b******t!

LOL. Now let's hope we can do the same thing to him with his mindless bashing of Jon Baldwin.
it's not like any other team has rushed to pick him up, although lockette landed on the ps in another city.
There's a 10 mile long list of questioning the decisions JH/Baalke make.

Hey clones! Wake Up! These guys know what they're doing.
haven't seen anything on this rumored signing in a day or so. I'm thinking it's not going to happen.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Last time our HOF coach got a man crush on a RB/FB, it didn't work out well. Remember Walsh little man-crush on Tommy Vardell... I still do.

Vardell came in at the tail end of his career and wasn't a bad fullback. Walsh also drafted Craig, Rathman, and Beasley.

I'd say his worst decision was allowing Lawrence Phillips on the roster.
  • Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
There's a 10 mile long list of questioning the decisions JH/Baalke make.

Hey clones! Wake Up! These guys know what they're doing.

As there should be. if everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking.

During the Nolan Era the 'zone just questioned every damn thing the team did. These days is pretty much the little stuff we question.

#GoodTeamProblems
has he signed yet?
Originally posted by jreff22:
has he signed yet?

nope

nothing imminent - maiocco twitter