LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Will football become ghettoized

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I think there is a lot of misapprehension out there as to why people join the military.

I'm going to be one of the last people to criticize those who join the military, but the fact is that these days, lots of people join the military because they can't get a job, because they don't have the money to go to college and because they're running out of options. And, having been there myself, I'll share a dirty little secret that everyone pretends not to notice - some people join the military because they want the opportunity to kill people. But the biggest issue is the economy. When there was high employment, it was "can you see me? can you hear me? You're in!" There were court rulings specifying military service rather than jail time. Nowadays, the military can afford to be a little more choosy. But, Gladwell comparing the situation in the NFL to the military to me just shows what an elitist, Ivy League bubble he exists in.

And that's part of the story. Your observation is correct--for the enlisted side of the military. But it's not so true for the officers, and this is a really overlooked thing (I will not get into all of it here because it's really an entirely different discussion)--the officers in the military are like 80% the sons/daughters of officers in the military. I am an officer's son, did 5 years enlisted before I crossed over, so I've seen it from both sides: there are tons of privates who joined because there was nothing else to do, and they don't last more than 4 years before they jump out. But going through ROTC and BOLC (officer basic) and now working on a brigade staff...sounds cheesy, but it's in their blood? These are smart guys, could be doing other things, but they are officers because they come from officer families. It's an overlooked aspect in this discussion

BUT

the overall discussion isn't totally wrong, because the military is still "marginalized" as it continues to draw from the same pool...it's just not all "ghettoized" dead-enders with nowhere else to go.
[ Edited by ninermedic on Sep 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM ]
You guys are missing the point completely.

What he means is that it will become like boxing... as in if you participate in the sport of boxing, you're putting your life at risk.

He is 100% right in that sense. Football is getting WAY more violent, and there is more risk in playing.

Where he is wrong is that the sport isn't going to lose popularity because of this whatsoever.
ghettofied = proper term....avoids the uncouth, inter-vowel glottal stop
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
You guys are missing the point completely.

What he means is that it will become like boxing... as in if you participate in the sport of boxing, you're putting your life at risk.

He is 100% right in that sense. Football is getting WAY more violent, and there is more risk in playing.

Where he is wrong is that the sport isn't going to lose popularity because of this whatsoever.

Football is becoming less violent. It will be flag football within 5 years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Football is becoming less violent. It will be flag football within 5 years.

When the technology becomes available to determine the effects on the brain for specific collisions get ready for flag football. There will be actors, athletes, girls and politicians all lined up to play each Sunday. It won't be as violent as the Lingerie football league.
I don't read articles with make believe words... It usually means the whole article is make believe as well.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
A basketball court is cheaper to install and maintain, and doesn't need as much space. It's one of the main reasons the sport became so popular in urban areas. In the same space you would need to put in a football field, 3 basketball courts can be installed.

This. It's not that you can't play football in the streets or on a field, but it's much easier to play basketball (or soccer), because all you need is a basic court (or field) and a ball. And even the most basic game is pretty comparable to the real thing. Football, Baseball and Hockey by comparison, require many more people and a lot more equipment to be anything close to "real". Not to mention a lot more space and field set up. That is a very big reason why in lower income areas/countries basketball and soccer are much more prevalent.

In regards to the article though, I don't think he's comparing the NFL to military in a way that is derogatory or insulting to the military. He certainly doesn't say the NFL is as risky, noble or valuable as military service. Just that the decision making process of whether that career is an option. And there is a parallel, but there always has been. Mostly two types of people (in general) join the military or go into the NFL. Those with an innate desire and ability for that type of work, who by personal choice, family environment or other circumstances know that is their goal, in spite of any risks involved that may deter others. Or those that in spite of those risks, see it as a means to an ends.

But the comparison stops there. Regardless of why you want to play football (let alone try and make it to the NFL), it is a very active choice and you have to work your ass off to even have a chance at the college level. And then it's exponentially harder to make it to ANY kind of pro level where you can do it for a living, and even more so, actually playing in the NFL. So, it's no one's "default option" because they don't have other avenues to pursue. Whereas the military, at times, has been a choice for those who are basically just a "warm body" who are willing to risk being just grunts and/or cannon fodder.

But IMO, the next step in his logic is terribly flawed. First, the NFL is already what, 85-90%+ minorities? And most of those players most are black. So, given the socioeconomic realities involved, that means you've already got a mid to high percentage from lower income or "ghetto" environments. How much is that really likely to change? It's not like you are talking about the NFL of the 60's. Only the absolute best players make it to the NFL (or college teams) and it is very much in spite of their racial or economic background.

Second, it's complete horses**t to think that "ghetto" parents/kids will be less risk adverse than other parents or kids. Especially with other options available. Just as many "ghetto" moms may push their kids toward other sports instead of football as suburban ones. And regardless of how much that does or doesn't happen in any socioeconomic area, for every 1 kid that goes to a different sport instead of playing football, there will be 3 more willing to take his place.

So, if anything the argument could be made that the QUALITY of the NFL will decline because they will be getting more of the second tier athletes and more of the elite athletes will choose/be pushed toward other sports. That is something that is a definite possibility.

But nothing about the "dangers of the game" will significantly change it's makeup in terms of the socioeconomic background of the players, and with that the "look or feel" of the NFL.
I wasn't really worried that he compared the NFL to the military--it was more just a concern that many people in general don't get the military. IDK, I might not get it. I can only speak for myself and my experience
Why not? The entirety of American culture has been, dumbed down, dirtied, ghettoized, rednecked, and made foul by a generation that lionized ignorance, and scoffs at intellect. Hopefully the children of this generation will rebel against stupidity, crassness, and incivility and demand a more sophisticated and enlightened culture.
While his ideas were legitimate -- there will be a butterfly effect of informed parents directing their kids to other activities -- the terminology was absolutely unnecessary. What a moron.

the nfl is a n***a's sport.
ninermedic: "But going through ROTC and BOLC (officer basic) and now working on a brigade staff...sounds cheesy, but it's in their blood? These are smart guys, could be doing other things, but they are officers because they come from officer families. It's an overlooked aspect in this discussion"

Good point. And, I don't think it's cheesy at all. With officers, it's very often a family tradition.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Nfl revenue in 2011 was $8.8 BILLION

NBA revenue that year was $3.7 billion

and thats only with 16 regular season games and way fewer playoff games

These numbers will change with time. The NBA is gradually going global, and the revenue streams are going to grow in a way that the NFL won't be able to match. The international interest in the NBA is quite formidable, and the NBA hasn't truly harnessed the money that lies in markets like Europe and Asia..it's just a matter of time though.
Originally posted by kray28:
These numbers will change with time. The NBA is gradually going global, and the revenue streams are going to grow in a way that the NFL won't be able to match. The international interest in the NBA is quite formidable, and the NBA hasn't truly harnessed the money that lies in markets like Europe and Asia..it's just a matter of time though.

Actually, the numbers are dropping for the NBA. NBA finals reached an all-time high in Nielsen rating in 1988 with the Jordan-led Bulls at 18.7, but viewership has been dropping ever since. This year's finals had an average 10.4 rating. By contrast, this last Super Bowl had a Nielsen rating of 46 and Super Bowls are always in the 40's. NFL playoff games tend to range from the low 20's to the mid 30's. Basketball has a long way to go before it becomes even remotely competitive with the NFL in terms of popularity. So, I'm not sure where some of you guys get this impression that NBA basketball is going to overtake the NFL. The trends don't even begin to tell that story. The trend is actually the opposite - NBA basketball is losing fans, viewers and is much less popular than it used to be.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM ]
And by the way, the above demographic information is why the NBA is desperately trying to open up other markets because it's clear that they are never going to touch the NFL in the United States which is still by far the largest market for entertainment on the planet.
Share 49ersWebzone