There are 230 users in the forums

Concussion and the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Glad they got some jack. The NFL has enough $ where it won't even make a dent.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
AP NFL ‏@AP_NFL

MORE: Judge rejects preliminary approval of $765M #NFL concussions settlement, worries it won't cover enough players http://apne.ws/1gFFprW
NFL just got screwed. I expect the final settlement to be at least double that amount.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Jcool:
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits

They knew broken bones could happen... NO ONE knew about head injuries and the long term repercussions till VERY recently

"i had no idea getting my head bashed in for 10-20 years would have long term effects"

riiiight, better sue the high schools and colleges too i guess

when players like jim mcmahon are asked whether theyd play all over again knowing what they know now, they say yes. its b******t

Why you so mad? It's not even your $$$

The NFL settled on their own and are happy to help some players with severe neurological problems.

He is mad because of the pussification of the NFL as a result.

+1

+2 if you gave me millions of dollars i would gladly switch brains with one of those vegetables
What We've Learned From Two Years of Tracking NFL Concussions--
When FRONTLINE started investigating the NFL's concussion crisis in 2012, we ran into an early stumbling block. We wanted to know how many head injuries were taking place in the league each season. The trouble was, no major news organization was keeping count. With little to go off besides the NFL's own numbers, we decided to try it ourselves.

For the past two seasons, FRONTLINE's Concussion Watch project has been tracking which players have gone down with head injuries, and how long they sit out post-concussion. Over that time, more than 300 players have been added to the league's official injury report because of a concussion. With Super Bowl XLVIII now over, here are five takeaways from the data:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/what-weve-learned-from-two-years-of-tracking-nfl-concussions/
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits

They knew broken bones could happen... NO ONE knew about head injuries and the long term repercussions till VERY recently
Up until recently it was thought it took way more head blows than a football player got to cause long term damage. Only boxers were considered to be at risk.
Seaus to opt out of concussion deal

A few things I noticed from the article:
-Seaus are represented by a Class Action law firm, not a firm specializing in wrongful death/personal injury
-thus the key line in the article is :"Strauss said he hoped other players might follow the Seau family's lead and opt out of the deal to force the two sides to negotiate a better deal."
The NFL office should make Wes Welker sit out a season.

What was it, 3 concussions in 9 months???

Not sure of the amount but his situation is very dangerous.

I was a amateur boxer, fought in the Golden Gloves in NYC and for a while on the National Team. I've seen the aftermath of negligence in this area.

This is serious stuff and I hope for Welker's family thy sit this guy.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The NFL office should make Wes Welker sit out a season.

What was it, 3 concussions in 9 months???

Not sure of the amount but his situation is very dangerous.

I was a amateur boxer, fought in the Golden Gloves in NYC and for a while on the National Team. I've seen the aftermath of negligence in this area.

This is serious stuff and I hope for Welker's family thy sit this guy.

I was just joking about this in the fantasy draft, about Welker and his ton of concussions
The conduct of the NFL and the team owners has been shameless in this matter. I wish someone would organise a one week boycott of all games to make a public statement. I think this issue will, in time, either destroy the NFL or else force major changes on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/sports/football/nfl-concussion-research-tobacco.html?emc=edit_th_20160325&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=60440494&_r=0

The NFL in 20 years...

50 years...

It really was something...

(This may be a slight overreaction)
Originally posted by English:
The conduct of the NFL and the team owners has been shameless in this matter. I wish someone would organise a one week boycott of all games to make a public statement. I think this issue will, in time, either destroy the NFL or else force major changes on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/25/sports/football/nfl-concussion-research-tobacco.html?emc=edit_th_20160325&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=60440494&_r=0

the american greed never fails.
The problem with the NFL isn't concussions, its the repeated head trauma. Hit after hit, brain rattling around against your skull that a helmet can't do anything about.

CTE will probably doom the sport in 20 years.
The problem with the NFL isn't concussions, its the repeated head trauma. Hit after hit, brain rattling around against your skull that a helmet can't do anything about.

nah we'll just have robots playing football

No, not as long as there are poor people living in our society.

There will always be those willing to take the risk for the $

Can you imagine the head trauma in boxing? Look at Ali, yet boxing still lives on. Same with MMA.
Share 49ersWebzone