LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Concussion and the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

BREAKING: The NFL's nightmare scenario is over. Judge announced settlement between the league and the 4,500 players suing over head trauma.

[ Edited by English on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:49 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

NFL getting off easy with that kind of cash RT @MikeGarafolo: Settlement in the NFL case is for $765 million
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Per the release, the $765M is "to provide medical benefits and injury compensation for retired NFL football players, fund medical and ..."

(Concussion statement) "... safety research, and cover litigation expenses."

Some of the breakdown: $75M for medical exams; $675M to compensate ex-players; $10M for research/education.

I'm separately told that the payments for individual players will be capped at $5 million.
[ Edited by Jcool on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM ]
I don't know if the NFL did get off "cheap," there probably is solid evidence NFL covered up what it knew about concussions and had dirty hands that resulted in players going back into the game too soon.

But the major problem with the lawsuit is if the players even knew the correct information, would they have listened/changed behavior?

I don't think its cheap when you factor in comparative negligence/assumed risk (that the players were knowingly putting themselves at risk).

Anyways, hopefully the players can get some proper treatment and see some improvement.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I don't know if the NFL did get off "cheap," there probably is solid evidence NFL covered up what it knew about concussions and had dirty hands that resulted in players going back into the game too soon.

But the major problem with the lawsuit is if the players even knew the correct information, would they have listened/changed behavior?

I don't think its cheap when you factor in comparative negligence/assumed risk (that the players were knowingly putting themselves at risk).

Anyways, hopefully the players can get some proper treatment and see some improvement.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Furthermore, the NFL can pay over time and avoid discovery of what exactly was and was not known, and when. Seems like another big W for NFL
[ Edited by Jcool on Aug 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bryan Fischer ‏@BryanDFischer

RT @WillBrinson: Key term in the NFL settlement? "No Admissions of Liability or Weakness of Claims"
Originally posted by Jcool:

RT @WillBrinson: Key term in the NFL settlement? "No Admissions of Liability or Weakness of Claims"

Every settlement agreement I've seen, and I've seen at least 100, contains that
24 mil per team over time. Wow did they get off cheap!!
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Every settlement agreement I've seen, and I've seen at least 100, contains that

Yeah. Its standard language. They aren't admitting guilt, just paying to make it go away.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
So are they allowed to tackle now?

Originally posted by Antix:
So are they allowed to tackle now?

Naw. They have better hitting in the lingerie leagues now. Seriously.
I'm suing my high school football team
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits

f**k lawyers.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

They knew broken bones could happen... NO ONE knew about head injuries and the long term repercussions till VERY recently
Share 49ersWebzone