LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Lemonier is already better.

Skuta is arguably just as good and much more versatile.

Stay with me on this children...

1+1=2

Again...

1+1=2

You got some proof of that Mr. Scientist?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Lemonier is already better.

Skuta is arguably just as good and much more versatile.

Stay with me on this children...

1+1=2

Again...

1+1=2

Lemonier is not better. he has more physical skill to work with. Skuta can't tackle runners. I see Haralson as contributor based on the last three games I have seen. More than Skuta.

Nobody is saying haralson isn't a good player. If he weren't then they wouldn't think they could trade him.

The thing is tho is that they are going to keep Lemonier. He's young, promising and cheap. They also used a 3 on him and won't let him walk. So who else do you keep? Skuta or Haralson. One plays special teams. The other does not.

You trade Haralson because there is a decent chance you are going to release him anyway. Its not about skill...it's about the number of players you have at that position.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Which player has outperformed the other in pre-season though at the OLB position: Skuta or Haralson? Haralson or Johnson?

I don't see why they wouldn't keep 9 LBs on the roster.

OLB: Smith/Lemonier/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Wilhoite
ILB: Bowman/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Haralson

I rather do that than carry Tukuafu. 6 DL, 9 LB, 10 DBs is 25 defensive players. 25 for offensive players, and 3 for special teams.

I have no idea, I don't get to see practice. Haralson is gone after this season though, pretty much no matter what happens, whereas we have Lemonier/Johnson/Skuta all signed for at least 2 seasons. If one of them can produce as good or better in some areas, then why not trade the player who will be of 0 value to the team after the season. What's happening is exactly what everyone expected before the draft; we don't have enough roster spots on the team for all our good FA's and draft picks. With that in mind why not trade a fringe backup player for a future one when our needs possibly change?

Again, Haralson is of no value to us next season, so if we can get a 5'th round pick today then why not? As a backup making a very low salary, Haralson may not even be worth a 6/th7th round supplemental pick if we just lose him in FA.

Edit: And I think both starting OLB for the Saints are out for the year, so Baalke might able to fleece them in a trade.
[ Edited by Disp on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
As opposed to NOTHING. People aren't getting this. They won't keep 5 OLBs. Who gets cut? Lemonier? Skuta? Haralson? Skuta would be the logical choice....if he wasn't brauight in specifically for Special Teams and has played well as an OLB in the preseason.

Why can't we keep 5 OLBs Marvin? With Carradine and Dial to PUP we won't be keeping many DL. We probably only keep 5 CBs, maybe 6. We can get by with 4 S since Spillman. I'd keep Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta over an extra S like Robinson, Thomas, Ventrone or an extra DL like Jerod-Eddie or Divens. Ideally we will keep 4 but not like we can't keep 5.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Really? We were 5 yards and 4 crappy offensive play calls away from winning a 6th ring. Not sure we missed him all that much.

we were also like 10 yards away from losing to the Falcons. Point is, we might have won the SB with some margin to spare if our pass rush had been fresher.

And that could have been anyone; didn't have to be Parys. Replaceability is my point.

I don't understand your point, we obviously didn't have an adequate replacement for him last season based on the playtime of our starters. Is there a surefire player that can replace Parys for this season? I don't think that is clear.

My points:

1.) We didn't have a surefire replacement for PH last year and still nearly won it all. How valuable is he really? They could've picked up anyone to replace his limited production; they just chose to go with limited backup OLB depth (in other words, he made ZERO contributions last year) and we damn near won the whole thing.

2.) Not even Parys is a surefire player given he didn't even play last year, and before that, wasn't all that productive to begin with (what are we REALLY getting in him?)

3.) His versatility is limited to OLB; other players offer more.

If you're talking about Parys Haralson from 2009, that's a different story. We're talking about Parys now and it's not that hard to replace what Haralson is now; low sack veteran OLB who plays the run decently and is good in the locker room. That's pretty much it. Not saying he's worthless; just saying he's easily replaced and I'm really not sure why that's controversial.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM ]
I've never liked him. Dude is way overrated, won't miss him one bit
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Overrated pass rush ability, but he is a legit OLB. We could do ALLOT worse.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Or we might be able to do a lot better, especially in filling out other roles like special teams...you don't know for sure until you replace him. I just doubt that if he goes away, the season will be lost and that seems to be the reaction from some on this board.

Sure we could. I just don't see the point in paying his salary to be a backup. Everyone always says he's great at setting the edge (just like Manny lawson ) but when you have Willis and bowman patrolling the middle who can run sideline to sideline a dead cat could set the edge on this defense.
Sure we could. I just don't see the point in paying his salary to be a backup. Everyone always says he's great at setting the edge (just like Manny lawson ) but when you have Willis and bowman patrolling the middle who can run sideline to sideline a dead cat could set the edge on this defense.

Very true.

Very true.

Sign this dead cat. Will probably come cheap... Just not sure how many games it'll last.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Guess the dont remember what happened last season with all the injuries.

Keep haralason. We have no idea what shape dial and carridine are going to be in

#FireBaalke

Yes, but this isn't about Dial/Tank. They are D-Lineman. Parys is an outside linebacker. Its b/c we now have Lemonier, Cam, and Skuta. And prob will keep Wilhoit and Moody at ILB. I love Haralson, he is a great tackler. Hope he gets a chance to start elsewhere
Makes sense to me. I'm impressed with Cam and lemenoir. Let the young guys flourish.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by natrone06:
Makes sense to me. I'm impressed with Cam and lemenoir. Let the young guys flourish.

Good point, I also wouldn't mind giving Cam Johnson a shot.

...ok I change my mind I hope he gets traded.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Why can't we keep 5 OLBs Marvin? With Carradine and Dial to PUP we won't be keeping many DL. We probably only keep 5 CBs, maybe 6. We can get by with 4 S since Spillman. I'd keep Haralson, Lemonier, Skuta over an extra S like Robinson, Thomas, Ventrone or an extra DL like Jerod-Eddie or Divens. Ideally we will keep 4 but not like we can't keep 5.

Totally this. We need a four man roation at OLB. We won't have that with Skuta. We can lose Tukuafu, Jerod-Eddie, Robinson, Thomas, or Divens. Haralson is an impact #2. None of the others listed here are. It's about the people baby, not just the depth chart.

We can always stash one of those guys on PS in case we have an injury epidemic.
Share 49ersWebzone