There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Haralson....

  • dj43
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,155
I've been gone for most of the afternoon and just got back to hear this news. I'm neither surprised nor disappointed. It seemed pretty obvious Haralson was fighting for a roster spot as the #4 or #5 OLB.

To me it came down to the fact that Skuta is valuable on ST and had been playing well since the move to OLB. Lemonier is going to be the first guy off the bench when a pass rush is needed. That makes Haralson a disposable piece. He was going to be released had NO not come calling desperately to replace Will Smith. This way NO gets a guy they need for only a 7th rather than getting into a bidding war that might have cost them more if they had to compete with other teams after his release. Haralson winds up on a nice team and we get a 7th. That is more than I expected as I analyzed where PH stood on the depth chart.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm confused. Since when was Parys Haralson this impact pass rusher that would have solved our pass rushing woes late last season when Aldon and Justin got hurt? HE'S NOT. That's why we drafted Lemonier, and you can actually see his pass rush ability pop off your TV screen. No way is Parys a better situational pass rusher than Corey, and no way is he a better ST player than Skuta. Parys was an extra body with no clear role. That's why he was traded.

He ain't a pass rusher like Aldon, but he is a way better run stuffer and plays better pass coverage than either Aldon or Brooks...why do you think they used him the way they did in 2011? Lemonior is just learning the OLB position, no don't he has more talent than Parys, but Parys has experience along with good play making ability....Skuta could have been saved to the PS this year.

He's not a better run stuffer than Aldon. Maybe in 2011, but not in 2012. That's why Aldon had the full-time starting role last year. Aldon has far more range against the run, it was just a matter of getting the technique and experience. And Parys was NEVER good in pass coverage.

We didn't need additional run-stuffing last year. We needed additional pass rush, and Parys doesn't provide enough of that. That's why we got Lemonier. He'll be far more effective in a reserve role than Parys.
I just love how everyone says so and so could be stashed on the PS. News flash there is limited number of PS slots. Cant keep everyone. Again ill side with historh witb tbis team and tbis position. It has been the most consistant and productive of all the groups over the past several years spanning back to Nowins first season. So if the team thinks they are better ill take their word.
Thanks for taking a pay cut because you wanted to stay with the team...only for this to happen. I applaud your efforts when you were with the Niners.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I think people don't get the concept of a situation dictating compensation just as much as a players talent. We did trade a 6th round pick for Anquan Boldin. Why? BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO BE RELEASED.


But to trade would mean taking his contract as well. That was a big sticking point. I doubt PHs contract was much of a factor.

It doesn't matter. The point is that something other that the players skill decorated the price. With Boldin it was the knowledge that the Ravens would probably release him for salary cap purposes. With Haralson it was the knowledge that he'd probably be released for a roster spot.
I hate losing him, but at least he has the opprotunity to be a starter again.

My favorite comment from him saying bye to the team.
Frank Gore told Haralson, "When we play y'all, be easy on me."
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Thanks for taking a pay cut because you wanted to stay with the team...only for this to happen. I applaud your efforts when you were with the Niners.

I wouldn't cry for Haralson. He's gonna get a chance to start this year that he wasn't going to get in SF. If he plays well his next contract will be much larger than otherwise. IE, it's a better opportunity.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I'm confused. Since when was Parys Haralson this impact pass rusher that would have solved our pass rushing woes late last season when Aldon and Justin got hurt? HE'S NOT. That's why we drafted Lemonier, and you can actually see his pass rush ability pop off your TV screen. No way is Parys a better situational pass rusher than Corey, and no way is he a better ST player than Skuta. Parys was an extra body with no clear role. That's why he was traded.

He ain't a pass rusher like Aldon, but he is a way better run stuffer and plays better pass coverage than either Aldon or Brooks...why do you think they used him the way they did in 2011? Lemonior is just learning the OLB position, no don't he has more talent than Parys, but Parys has experience along with good play making ability....Skuta could have been saved to the PS this year.

He's not a better run stuffer than Aldon. Maybe in 2011, but not in 2012. That's why Aldon had the full-time starting role last year. Aldon has far more range against the run, it was just a matter of getting the technique and experience. And Parys was NEVER good in pass coverage.

We didn't need additional run-stuffing last year. We needed additional pass rush, and Parys doesn't provide enough of that. That's why we got Lemonier. He'll be far more effective in a reserve role than Parys.

Please...that's not the case at all...won't ever know because Parys was hurt all year last year.

Yeah we needed more run stuffing and we needed depth at OLB with Parys gone. Like Ive said Lemonior is a future stud....but Parys is better right now...for this year anyway. And way better than the webzone hero Skuta.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,509
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
I wonder what the saints fan think about his trade.

They are still absolutely clueless about football. Adding a 49ers backup to the worst defense in history =



http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/%5Bmod-title-edit%5D-saints-trade-get-parys-haralson-49ers-306479/index11.html#.Uhw2dxv91Bk
[ Edited by Disp on Aug 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
It doesn't matter. The point is that something other that the players skill decorated the price. With Boldin it was the knowledge that the Ravens would probably release him for salary cap purposes. With Haralson it was the knowledge that he'd probably be released for a roster spot.

and those at the head of the waiver line have so many needs they cant afford to give up high draft picks on an aging player. Better off getting him off of the waiver wire or drafting then get into a bidding war using draft picks. We will get one maybe two seasons out of Boldin. A team on the rebuild cant afford a rent a player.
Actually I'm gonna chalk this up like this.

Parys for Senecca Wallace.

End thread, I'm going to bed!

Matt Maiocco ✔ @MaioccoCSN The Haralson trade/salary dump is a business decision made with an eye toward the big contract(s) that the 49ers know are coming.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174335-haralson/page48/#tXhdkf2GeeGc78eG.99

This is what I'm most interested in concerning this trade. If one of the main reasons we dumped Haralson was to free up $ to extend Iupati (we can't work on extensions for Kap or Aldon until after this season, I believe, due to the new CBA), I'm all for it - plus, we gain a 7th rounder to add more talent, package in a trade, etc.
Would've liked to see him get a ring with us but what's done is done. Wish him well and hope that draft pick is a good one.
Wow the saints fans really have no idea what kind of deal they got do they?
Also, Lemonier, Skuta, and Cam Johnson better be ready to step up if called upon should something happen like last year when we needed quality depth at OLB (...had to go w/ an aging Haggans at times with Aldon hurting - had me wishing for Haralson back then).