LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Its a good move.

He is expendable now and we will add picks that give us more ammo to land an impact player in next years draft.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
After how thin we became at OLB towards the end of last year, I'd much rather keep Haralson. I really don't want to end up having to sign a Clark Haggans or Eric Bakhtiari again.

This^
Another draft pick. We aren't going to use him much anyway.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Guess the dont remember what happened last season with all the injuries.

Keep haralason. We have no idea what shape dial and carridine are going to be in

#FireBaalke

Fire Baalke? Who is this? Miley Cyrus?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Trade him, let Lemonier and Skuta play, both are as good as Haralson, who has slown down. Not best pass rusher anymore. Plus we could keep an extra DB, WR or Cam Johnson.

Never been impressed by Cam Johnson. Not even when he was at UVA.

And Haralson was never a great pass rusher, but he's very stout against the run. If one of our OLBs goes down, we could use Haralson on run downs and Lemonier on passing downs--much like we did with Haralson and Aldon in 2011. I'm not sure Lemonier is ready to step in as more than a situational pass rusher right now. Keep in mind that he was a down 4-3 DE at Auburn and has hardly any experience in coverage.
anyone know how much he is counting aginst the cap??? They might be thinking they could get the same production from the younger guys at a bargin price...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
should be able to get something for him
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
After how thin we became at OLB towards the end of last year, I'd much rather keep Haralson. I really don't want to end up having to sign a Clark Haggans or Eric Bakhtiari again.

I agree...but they also didn't have lemonier and Skuta last year. They won't keep FIVE OLBs. Harlason has some value. Makes sense.

I'm with you on this. The Niners have a scary task of trying to stay competitive in the coming years, as contracts start to get pricey. They'll need a flood of draft picks to keep us in the race for the Superbowl every year. Trading a backup who may have value isn't a bad idea. We have 2 young guys that seem to have proven enough to the coaching staff to take Haralson's spot. Why not get something for him if he may be cut anyways. It also may mean more money to keep a more important player on our team.
Does this mean the team feels comfortable that Brooks won't be suspended for any length of time? If he's suspended and Harolson is traded, are we really ok playing against GB with Aldon and Skuta/Lemonier combination for all of the OLB snaps?
  • bret
  • Veteran
I thought it was very interesting that Skuta got more snaps than any other OLB last night. I figured they were trying to figure out if he gave them enough versatility to warrant keeping him on the roster (I figured Haralson and Lemonier were locks and Cam was on the bubble). But this actually even makes more sense: converting a back-up as he approaches 30 into draft picks is good strategy if the other back-ups are good enough. Of course, as good as Haralson has looked this summer, it doesn't make a such a decision easy. But over the long haul, it's the right move!

Although Lemonier has run himself out of some plays, his first step is AMAZING! I could actually see him coming close to double digit sacks in a back-up role!

Originally posted by bret:
I thought it was very interesting that Skuta got more snaps than any other OLB last night. I figured they were trying to figure out if he gave them enough versatility to warrant keeping him on the roster (I figured Haralson and Lemonier were locks and Cam was on the bubble). But this actually even makes more sense: converting a back-up as he approaches 30 into draft picks is good strategy if the other back-ups are good enough. Of course, as good as Haralson has looked this summer, it doesn't make a such a decision easy. But over the long haul, it's the right move!

Although Lemonier has run himself out of some plays, his first step is AMAZING! I could actually see him coming close to double digit sacks in a back-up role!

While I agree with you on Lemonier's ability and potential, it might be a while before he gets enough opportunities to get double-digit sacks. It's not like Aldon or Brooks are coming off the field on passing downs all that often.
Doesn't make sense to me. They're not going to get a mid-round pick for him, they're going to get a late-round one...
Depends what we get and who we plan to keep. I'm sure he wants to start somewhere and he isn't getting younger. We could just be trying to do right by him. I certainly like him for depth. But some of the young guns could be making him seem like excess baggage. 4OLBs should be enough.
Denver will need an OLB for 6 games....
Originally posted by jreff22:
Not a fan of replacing a vet with a rookie right now...not to mention depth will be key this year.

IMO, Lemonier and Skuta as backups and Cam Johnson on the PS again is plenty of depth. I see Skuta (who's not a rookie) as Parys' replacement and this flexibility (ILB, OLB and special teams) trumps Haralson's limited skill-set.
Share 49ersWebzone