There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Haralson....

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
STUPID MOVE. Don't do it. Sometimes, I don't know about this team.....

Sometimes I think people think we take 70 players into the season...
Originally posted by Thechad49:
I thought Haralson looked really good this preseason, almost better then Ahmad Brooks in my opinion..I think it would be a mistake to let him go rightnow..we need to find a way to keep him.. I honestly don't think Cam Johnson has looked all that good..he's decent versus the run but that really it. Baalke needs to Keep Haralson on this team!

Sigh...

People not getting it. LOL.

He HAS looked good. THAT is why he has value. Niners have too many quality players at one position so you TRADE one with value for SOMETHING of value before you cut them FOR FREE.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
STUPID MOVE. Don't do it. Sometimes, I don't know about this team.....

Sometimes I think people think we take 70 players into the season...

Yuuup...that and there is a vocal minority that hate anything and everything that isn't their idea.
I thought Haralson looked really good this preseason, almost better then Ahmad Brooks in my opinion..I think it would be a mistake to let him go rightnow..we need to find a way to keep him.. I honestly don't think Cam Johnson has looked all that good..he's decent versus the run but that really it. Baalke needs to Keep Haralson on this team!

Sigh...

He HAS looked good. THAT is why he has value. Niners have too many quality players at one position so you TRADE one with value for SOMETHING of value before you cut them FOR FREE.

Great point. He does have some value (though not as much as some people suspect) so you put it out there and see what/if anything you can get for him. If it's nothing, you cut him and move on with younger guys that offer the same or even more value.

Sigh...

Great point. He does have some value (though not as much as some people suspect) so you put it out there and see what/if anything you can get for him. If it's nothing, you cut him and move on with younger guys that offer the same or even more value.

Exactly. Whats at issue here isn't the cap. Its not Haralson playing poorly. It's about ROSTER SPOTS, plain and simple.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I was pissed when I heard the news earlier this morning. But his value is pretty high right now. Haralson is better than Aldon, and most LBs in this league, against the run...and Haralson can rush the passer.

I think after Denver lost Drumerville to the Ravens with that contract mistake, and lost Von Miller for the half of the season... they would be on the top of the list of teams asking about him.

the reason I think the 9ers would want to do it now is because Parys is obviously on the last year of his contract...and he will get paid much much more going to different team...so I don't we will resign him. SO if you are going to lose him anyway, and you have this young draft pick that has showed potential who will for sure be on this team....well then you want this draft pick to get as much reps as possible through out the season and practice.

slippery slope though...if we are trying to win a SuperBowl this year should we take that chance? Will a 4th round pick be worth it? (I don't think a team will give more, even though imo he is worth it)

its tough, but I'd like for us to keep him...and worry about the draft later...there is a point where you have make an exception on the penny pinching.

Are we talking about the same Parys Haralson????

I don't think anyone would question that Parys was one of our best, when it came to holding the edge and stopping the run.....and that he can rush the passer, not as good as Aldon and Brooks, but he is good as well.

And yes I think Denver would love to get a proven OLB, because of their current situation.

as far as his worth... That is just me. I'd give him up for a 3rd round pick sure....but 4th round or 5th, etc? I just feel it would be more important for our SuperBowl run for us to be stacked depth wise...especially with a proven vet like Parys....this is not a journey man LB, he can be starting and playing well for another team imo.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM ]
besides Lemonaye (ima spell it how it sounds) which other OLB would you keep over Parys? one who could step in for a missing starter, and not lose that much production?
It's a simple formula. If we can get someone to trade a 4th or better (or maybe even a 5th), I say pull the trigger. However, it's nice to have quality depth behind Brooks and Aldon Smith with no need to worry in case a starter goes down. It's similar to the Culliver situation. It hurts losing arguably your best corner, but we had so many guys behind him the loss doesn't hurt as much as it would hurt another team. This is the luxury Parys Haralson provides. A veteran presence capable of starting, solid run stuffer, low contract, and was willing to remain with the team KNOWING he would not be starting with the slight chance he may not even make the team. Of course there are also sentimental reasons which many say have no place in football. However no one can tell me that it won't mean more to see guys like Haralson and others that suffered through the Mikes, the Hostlers, and other disgraces over the years finally reach the summit of the NFL.

All of that to say this, if we can get a 4th or better (just me being greedy), go for it. If not, keep your quality depth.

Sigh...

No your not getting it, I think we should try trading Cam Johnson or just release him....Not Parys!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's a simple formula. If we can get someone to trade a 4th or better (or maybe even a 5th), I say pull the trigger. However, it's nice to have quality depth behind Brooks and Aldon Smith with no need to worry in case a starter goes down. It's similar to the Culliver situation. It hurts losing arguably your best corner, but we had so many guys behind him the loss doesn't hurt as much as it would hurt another team. This is the luxury Parys Haralson provides. A veteran presence capable of starting, solid run stuffer, low contract, and was willing to remain with the team KNOWING he would not be starting with the slight chance he may not even make the team. Of course there are also sentimental reasons which many say have no place in football. However no one can tell me that it won't mean more to see guys like Haralson and others that suffered through the Mikes, the Hostlers, and other disgraces over the years finally reach the summit of the NFL.

All of that to say this, if we can get a 4th or better (just me being greedy), go for it. If not, keep your quality depth.

Couldn't agree more!

Sigh...

No your not getting it, I think we should try trading Cam Johnson or just release him....Not Parys!

....and Cam Johnson WON'T MAKE THE TEAM. Who said anything about Cam Johnson? The other players we are talking about are Lemonier and Skuta...and Skuta was signed to be a special teamer. The teamers have to come from somewhere. Skuta offers more flexibility. He is NOT a better OLB, but that isn't the question here.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
....and Cam Johnson WON'T MAKE THE TEAM. Who said anything about Cam Johnson? The other players we are talking about are Lemonier and Skuta...and Skuta was signed to be a special teamer. The teamers have to come from somewhere. Skuta offers more flexibility. He is NOT a better OLB, but that isn't the question here.

I don't think that's a all caps worthy certainty. He's played well. And who's "we", you and Harbough lol ?
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:

I don't think that's a all caps worthy certainty. He's played well. And who's "we", you and Harbough lol ?

Caps had nothing to do with Cam himself. The caps had to do with someone misunderstanding my point. I never said Cam over Haralson. My point is we may not be able to keep EITHER of them.

I THINK the we is me and GOFD and a few others. Correct me if I'm wrong there Ghost.
The niners are doing the obvious--you have too many good players so try trading them before cut-down day. Smart teams will offer little and hope to pick up guys on the waiver wire, but if a good team needs one or two guys to be solid they may over pay...which is what Baalke is hoping for. Smart GM just keeps being smart.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The niners are doing the obvious--you have too many good players so try trading them before cut-down day. Smart teams will offer little and hope to pick up guys on the waiver wire, but if a good team needs one or two guys to be solid they may over pay...which is what Baalke is hoping for. Smart GM just keeps being smart.

Correct.

See Smith, Alex.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM ]