There are 291 users in the forums

NFL Sunday ticket...Is it worth it??

Shop 49ers game tickets

NFL Sunday ticket...Is it worth it??

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
No but it's a service, that's like sueing direct tv because you only want one channel

It's the whole Chris rock...how much is it for one rib..not one order..just one rib

LOL. Great comparison, and exactly right.

It isn't a great comparison, because Directv has a monopoly on Sunday ticket. They don't have a monopoly on tv networks, so they can choose packages to offer, and consumer demand and competition will keep them honest. When no one else can offer Sunday Ticket, there is no competition to keep them from ripping off customers. They can argue that they offer a decent value for the number of games they provide, but the value isn't there for a customer that has no desire to watch the extra games. They are being forced to accept lesser value because there is no other company that can allow them to watch all of their team's games. That's supposed to be illegal. We'll see if the courts care.

So your saying right now I don't have to pay for the lowest basic dtv service I can just pay for one channel at a really low price since they don't have control of the networks ?

The NFL not direct tv are the ones that came up with the packages, just like mlb and nba. You don't see those leagues selling individual specific team packages...plus dtv is just the higher bidder for the NFL ticket

The reason it's high because of profit sharing and its the easiest way for the NFL is selling all teams..without losing money because one team is selling more..which could cause legal action that the team selling more individual packages should get more of a % of the cash since people want to watch more of their team.

With all that said, it's more NFL than direct tv

Couldn't have said better myself man, this isn't DirecTV's fault, maybe some, but the blame is on the NFL, they're the ones who wanted it on one provider, and they set the price, and the guidelines for how it's distributed, so if they say all or nothing then that's it.

For me, I like having every game at my disposal, I can flip from say local game between Giants and Browns, to a much better game that isn't on local, like Ravens/Steelers, because I have the ticket, I think giving it on a team by team is a nice idea, but no way will they set it so low, probably $100-$150 Minimum for 1 team, would you rather pay $150 for 1 team, or $250 for every team? I rather pay for every team.
No but it's a service, that's like sueing direct tv because you only want one channel

It's the whole Chris rock...how much is it for one rib..not one order..just one rib

It isn't a great comparison, because Directv has a monopoly on Sunday ticket. They don't have a monopoly on tv networks, so they can choose packages to offer, and consumer demand and competition will keep them honest. When no one else can offer Sunday Ticket, there is no competition to keep them from ripping off customers. They can argue that they offer a decent value for the number of games they provide, but the value isn't there for a customer that has no desire to watch the extra games. They are being forced to accept lesser value because there is no other company that can allow them to watch all of their team's games. That's supposed to be illegal. We'll see if the courts care.

So your saying right now I don't have to pay for the lowest basic dtv service I can just pay for one channel at a really low price since they don't have control of the networks ?

The NFL not direct tv are the ones that came up with the packages, just like mlb and nba. You don't see those leagues selling individual specific team packages...plus dtv is just the higher bidder for the NFL ticket

The reason it's high because of profit sharing and its the easiest way for the NFL is selling all teams..without losing money because one team is selling more..which could cause legal action that the team selling more individual packages should get more of a % of the cash since people want to watch more of their team.

I'm saying that if any cable or satelite providers chose to provide on channel at a time, that would put pressure on the other providers to do so as well. Competition is present to hold providers in check, to some degree. Since Directv has a monopoly on Sunday Ticket, there is no competition that influences pricing or products that are offered.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Couldn't have said better myself man, this isn't DirecTV's fault, maybe some, but the blame is on the NFL, they're the ones who wanted it on one provider, and they set the price, and the guidelines for how it's distributed, so if they say all or nothing then that's it.

For me, I like having every game at my disposal, I can flip from say local game between Giants and Browns, to a much better game that isn't on local, like Ravens/Steelers, because I have the ticket, I think giving it on a team by team is a nice idea, but no way will they set it so low, probably $100-$150 Minimum for 1 team, would you rather pay $150 for 1 team, or $250 for every team? I rather pay for every team.

Same here...love watching all teams
I'm saying that if any cable or satelite providers chose to provide on channel at a time, that would put pressure on the other providers to do so as well. Competition is present to hold providers in check, to some degree. Since Directv has a monopoly on Sunday Ticket, there is no competition that influences pricing or products that are offered.

It's a NFL thing , not dtv thing
  • THEB
  • Veteran
If you call DTV and let them know youre interested in cancelling your service, they will transfer you to their Retention team. The retention teams job is to keep you as a customer. If you let them know that you arent willing to pay $X.xx per month for their TV packages because all youre really interested in is NFL Sunday Ticket, and you cant afford to pay for ST and the package both, they will offer ST to you free of charge.

This only really works once since they note your account, but at least it gets you through your 2 year contract, then you can just cancel your service after year 2, put the service in your wifes name, get 2 more years free, rinse and repeat.

I used to work as a Customer Service and Retention supervisor for DTV, and i would regularly encourage my agents to use these practices. it is common for the agents to have these requests, and they will usually do it without hesitation. If for some reason it doesnt work, you probably got a new agent or someone having a bad day. Just hang up and call back later.
Originally posted by THEB:
If you call DTV and let them know youre interested in cancelling your service, they will transfer you to their Retention team. The retention teams job is to keep you as a customer. If you let them know that you arent willing to pay $X.xx per month for their TV packages because all youre really interested in is NFL Sunday Ticket, and you cant afford to pay for ST and the package both, they will offer ST to you free of charge.

This only really works once since they note your account, but at least it gets you through your 2 year contract, then you can just cancel your service after year 2, put the service in your wifes name, get 2 more years free, rinse and repeat.

I used to work as a Customer Service and Retention supervisor for DTV, and i would regularly encourage my agents to use these practices. it is common for the agents to have these requests, and they will usually do it without hesitation. If for some reason it doesnt work, you probably got a new agent or someone having a bad day. Just hang up and call back later.

Nice, but if you've been with them for 5 years...?

Or since 1999!
I have had sunday ticket since 1999...
Any way for me to get a free year?

Not to completely change the subject here, but I bet you we are only a few years away from having an "a la carte" cable service provider.
Nicely said! The NBA offered something like this (perhaps this has already been mentioned in the thread, I've only read the last few posts). If I remember right, they offered three different packages:
1. follow 1 team
2. follow 4 teams
3. entire league

Like you said, the lower packages weren't priced cheaply enough to justify settling for it. I'd rather pay more and get every single game.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Nicely said! The NBA offered something like this (perhaps this has already been mentioned in the thread, I've only read the last few posts). If I remember right, they offered three different packages:
1. follow 1 team
2. follow 4 teams
3. entire league

Like you said, the lower packages weren't priced cheaply enough to justify settling for it. I'd rather pay more and get every single game.

With the NBA League Pass that was if you bought through NBA.com, you could choose I think 6 teams, or the whole package, and there wasn't much of a difference, unless you had a few buddies willing to split the cost. But yeah the difference that the NFL Ticket may be isn't worth it to me, my Dad uses my online portion, and he is a Vikings fan, so it wouldn't be an option for me, plus like I said I like everything, all 32 teams, NFL RedZone, etc.. That's why I buy it every year, yeah I try to get a discount, been with them for almost 10 years, only off one year in 2009, started in 2006-2008, then back in 2010 till present.

Same here...love watching all teams

It's a NFL thing , not dtv thing

What 49AllTheTime said it's an NFL thing, even if DirecTV says sure we'll do 1 team, the NFL may come in and say NO, all or nothing, it's up to the NFL on how it's distributed, not DirecTV.

So many people are quick to blame the providers, blame the networks and leagues who do these deals, and say what it has to be.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
is it worth it?

not this season, niner fans.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I used to get it for around $250. Usually around 5 or so games are prime time that you wouldn't need the ticket for. So it works out roughly to around $20 a game. Considering a ticket to Levi's in about $9,000 I'd say that's worth it.
It is EASILY worth it, if your love of football is high, and you don't live where your team plays. Before ST, I would drive over to a bar every Sunday that had the channels. I would spend far more money doing this vs enjoying the games in the comfort of my own home. Like others say, even when not watching SF games, you get to pick and choose the better games to watch.

Worth it.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
It is EASILY worth it, if your love of football is high, and you don't live where your team plays. Before ST, I would drive over to a bar every Sunday that had the channels. I would spend far more money doing this vs enjoying the games in the comfort of my own home. Like others say, even when not watching SF games, you get to pick and choose the better games to watch.

Worth it.

+1,000,000,000,000

And, plus more.

You kidding me? Insane worth it. I get to watch the Rams games, all your dumbass games and all other games I want to watch. This is not even a question in real life.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Or since 1999!
I have had sunday ticket since 1999...
Any way for me to get a free year?

I used to do it every season. I truly only have direct tv because of the NFL network and ST. At a minimum, you'll get it half priced and with addition discounts, such as free HDTV or $25/mo off for a year
Share 49ersWebzone