There are 282 users in the forums

NFL calls hit by Bears' Jon Bostic 'spectacular'; fines him $21K anyway

Shop 49ers game tickets
Its football. Save the penalties and fines for the players who intentionally hit to harm people, not the guys trying to make a big play.

The NFL is ruining its own product. Its becoming a league of players with no individuality who are barley allowed to tackle anybody.
why is he getting fined? It's not like he spun the ball or did an incredible hulk move or something else really dangerous like that
[ Edited by ninermedic on Aug 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Completely legal hit--he did nothing wrong! I swear, Goodell is ruining the game.

He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Parents have been discouraging their kids from playing football, and honestly, how can you blame them? Head trauma is almost impossible to avoid. You either have to create a super large helmet or simply disallow hard hitting.

This is a myth bro
He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Parents have been discouraging their kids from playing football, and honestly, how can you blame them? Head trauma is almost impossible to avoid. You either have to create a super large helmet or simply disallow hard hitting.

Take the Harbaugh approach. Say it's gonna be less competition for little Jack
As someone who has had a concussion and has tore a ACL I rather have 2 more concussions today than tear my ACL again. That s**t hurt for weeks and still bothers me 15 years later
[ Edited by 99problems on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:37 AM ]
totally ridiculoud.

thats the same hit dashon put on the murderer last year. he got fined too.
shoulder to shoulder hit.

we should be talking about swearingers fine not this.
spoken like somebody who has never made a tackle.

you have to hit with your shoulder pad. thats what he did. didnt lead with the helmet. same hit as dasho to murderer last yr. shoulder to chest. their fining those guys bc it looked like it hurt.

swearingers hit was dirty . leroy hills hit on manningham was scumbag dirty crap. those should be fined not these textbook shoulder to chest hits.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that's b******t.

ps. the dude made under $1k for that game, got fined $21k.
At .35 seconds you can tell it was helmet-to -helmet (side). That's considered an illegal hit. NFL made the right call. I wouldn't say it was intentional though.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer does not = NFL. But yeah I think the fine is BS

Uh, the NFL did label it "spectacular" on NFL.com the title above the video of the hit. And the ironic thing is, they STILL have the video there, but they changed the caption, although as you can see below, they still have "spectacular" in the link.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000230462/Bostic-s-spectacular-tackle-forces-incompletion

I don't agree with this at all and if parents watch the NFL and actually think its comparable to anything their kids will see at the pee wee, high school, or college level then they are completely clueless. Everyone of these guys are all world athletes. The guys struggling to make an nfl roster are probably ten times better than most kids will ever play against in their lives.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I don't agree with this at all and if parents watch the NFL and actually think its comparable to anything their kids will see at the pee wee, high school, or college level then they are completely clueless. Everyone of these guys are all world athletes. The guys struggling to make an nfl roster are probably ten times better than most kids will ever play against in their lives.

From my experience, yes, parents are being irrational when they keep their kids out of football at the younger pee-wee levels. In many years involved with youth football I've seen ONE kid held out of a game for "concussion-like symptoms", and that was last year in this new era of hyper-cautiousness. Truth of the matter is the kid in question is a big baby, got his bell rung slightly, and milked it for all it was worth.

But once these kids start hitting puberty, gaining mass/muscle/speed around 12-14 yrs old, they don't have to be future NFL or D1 players to produce the collisions that can cause head injuries. There are things we can do to try and mitigate this, tackling techniques, equipment, penalties, etc., but the fact remains it is a violent sport and that risk is always there.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Completely legal hit--he did nothing wrong! I swear, Goodell is ruining the game.

Everyone who plays the game should know the risks. If they're concerned about head trauma, they shouldn't play. Period. The game shouldn't be catered to them. Nobody is FORCED to play football for a living.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
it was obviously not intentional. Fines should only go to repeat offenders of intentional helmet on helmet hits.
The real issue with all this is America's Sue first mentality.
Share 49ersWebzone