There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL calls hit by Bears' Jon Bostic 'spectacular'; fines him $21K anyway

link
looks like the hit was shoulder to shoulder...was not called on the field...after further review the NFL still can't get in right....
[ Edited by Hitman49 on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
Don't know what more Bostic could have done. He didn't aim high with his helmet. He hit him in the chest/shoulder. I can't blame players for aiming low and destroying someone's knee if these type of hits are going to be fined.
That's BS.

ps - Bears fan - jrg
There was absolutely nothing wrong with that hit. Who's the vagina that hands these fines out?
Completely legal hit--he did nothing wrong! I swear, Goodell is ruining the game.
I posted the link to their FB page asking for an explanation. I do not expect an answer though.
The NFL is the most hypocritical sports organization on the planet. This is just another example of that. "Spectacular hit, oh, and call your lawyer, you are soooo getting fined."

They'll try to offer some non-sense excuse as they always do. They'll probably say he "lowered his head", of course, the way the rules are written now, you can call a penalty for anything. The REAL rule is this: "You cannot hit a player hard." How often is a "hard" hit fined? It seems like every time there is a "hard" hit, there is a fine and/or a penalty.

Here is the problem. Your head is right there, in between your shoulders. It cannot be moved. There is nothing you can do to prevent head injuries unless you create big fat helmet, or you tell players that they cannot hit hard anymore (which is essentially what they have done, without officially saying it of course).
If you are low, you are leading with your head. It is physically impossible to avoid slamming your head into someone, unless you are attempting an "arm tackle", and who performs arm tackles? Players who get cut from a 53 man roster because they can't tackle the ball carrier effectively.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Completely legal hit--he did nothing wrong! I swear, Goodell is ruining the game.

He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Parents have been discouraging their kids from playing football, and honestly, how can you blame them? Head trauma is almost impossible to avoid. You either have to create a super large helmet or simply disallow hard hitting.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The NFL is the most hypocritical sports organization on the planet. This is just another example of that. "Spectacular hit, oh, and call your lawyer, you are soooo getting fined."

They'll try to offer some non-sense excuse as they always do. They'll probably say he "lowered his head", of course, the way the rules are written now, you can call a penalty for anything. The REAL rule is this: "You cannot hit a player hard." How often is a "hard" hit fined? It seems like every time there is a "hard" hit, there is a fine and/or a penalty.

Here is the problem. Your head is right there, in between your shoulders. It cannot be moved. There is nothing you can do to prevent head injuries unless you create big fat helmet, or you tell players that they cannot hit hard anymore (which is essentially what they have done, without officially saying it of course).
If you are low, you are leading with your head. It is physically impossible to avoid slamming your head into someone, unless you are attempting an "arm tackle", and who performs arm tackles? Players who get cut from a 53 man roster because they can't tackle the ball carrier effectively.

The NFL wants action, big hits, and points scored. It fills the seats and gets the TV contracts. The downside is that they're becoming financially liable for head traumas. They're just trying to save face and fight the legal claims.

It's not Goodell's fault that this is a litigious society. McDonalds was forced to shift to "healthy" options because fat people knowingly ate the fast food. Football players know the risks of playing the game, yet some still successfully sue the league. Goodell's has to react to protect the owner's pot of gold.
Great hit, btw.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer does not = NFL. But yeah I think the fine is BS
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I slowed that down and he totally did hit him in the chin with his helmet but that's not why the fine is BS. it's because the guy took two steps and was able to protect himself. just because he didn't see the guy doesn't mean it he should be fined
On NFL Access the NFL VP of officiating explained why this was an illegal hit.

People aught to stop with the mob mentality of blaming Goodell for everything. There's a department that reviews plays and metes out the fines. It's not Goodell.

Please let's not use this for validating an obvious and intentional dirty hit Swearinger (sp?) laid on Keller. I'm glad he's not not a Niner. Hate dirty players.
he lead with the crown of his helmet which is an illegal hit