LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Overused Labels in the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
"Game Changer"
i find it annoying when they say running the football or doing whatever with the football, just call it a f**kin ball, i know im watching football already
"still has some in the tank" "break out year"

Speaking of older players, when did Reggie Bush become an old NFL vet? I thought he was still trying to have a break out year.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I hate when anybody says "light a fire under his ass". Not really a label, but the most annoying sports cliche to me.
some of you people don't understand what a label is
Tony Romo
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Oh, every player that isn't a top ten draft pick apparently has a chip on his shoulder. That's cute.

Yes. I wasn't drafted in the top ___, yet I have the opportunity to make a couple million dollars over the course of the next 4 to 5 years. Oh the horror.
"first down"
The next (_insert legends name here_)

That one drives me crazy, mostly because of Brady.
Originally posted by thl408:
"Gimmick offense"

Just because it's unconventional, doesn't make it a gimmick offense. It carries a negative connotation, it seems. To me it's not a gimmick, it's a version of evolution in an offense that is trying new ways to attack.

The read-option play out of the pistol formation is considered gimmicky, but it tore apart defenses last season. Doesn't seem negative to me. Even Peyton ran a read-option looking play last week.

Run and shoot: it worked for awhile, until the Oilers couldn't hang on to a 4 TD lead by not being able to run the ball. I can still see it being a viable option if the defense has sub par nickel/dime DBs. It should still be used in the proper situation imo.

Wildcat: it worked for awhile, until defenses did not respect the pass. It could be still be used when the situation dictates it.

4-6 defense: I've never heard it described as a gimmick defense even though it has the characteristics of an offense that is labeled a gimmick. Unconventional, different from how a "standard" defense plays.

4-6? I'm assuming you mean "46".

Unconventional in terms of the aggressiveness.....high risk/reward. Needs a lot of defensive talent to pull off, perhaps no longer possible in the modern era of free agency and salary cap.

The type of defense that made Montana struggle against Chicago in '85 and Steve Young against Houston in '93. I think combined TD passes by Montana & Young against those teams in 3 games is like 1 or 2.

Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
Seems funny that this moniker sticks around considering it refers to the fact that they were the second Giants in town. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they were ever called the New York Baseball Giants. Just the Giants and I'm glad they are not the San Francisco Baseball Giants.

I'm gonna mess with some NYG fans with the NY baseball Giants to refer to SFG.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
Seems funny that this moniker sticks around considering it refers to the fact that they were the second Giants in town. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they were ever called the New York Baseball Giants. Just the Giants and I'm glad they are not the San Francisco Baseball Giants.

I think New York Football Giants is their legal name...not sure but that would kind of explain the logic behind the moniker still being in circulation.
Originally posted by SaksV:
I think New York Football Giants is their legal name...not sure but that would kind of explain the logic behind the moniker still being in circulation.

Wait a second, why are they called the New York Football Giants? They've played in Joisey the last 37 years. Is New Jersey so insignificant that they can't get the team that plays in their own state to be called by that name. Call them the New Jersey Football Giants, or just keep insulting the state of New Jersey.
Possession receiver. Every stinking receiver in the league tries to possess the ball.
Game manager...isn't every qb supposed to manage the game?
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone