There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Overused Labels in the NFL

Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
- Skill position player

- Elite quarterback

- Football IQ

- Gun-slinger

- Anything out of Mike Mayock's mouth

skill position player only differentiates between Linemen and those that can touch the ball.

Yeah and it's annoying! "Skill" position? So the other positions don't incorporate skill? Should have chosen a better term!
The single biggest over used term from my perspective is "shut down corner."

And right along with the shut down corners is them "taking away 1/2 the field."

Drives me crazy.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
- Skill position player

- Elite quarterback

- Football IQ

- Gun-slinger

- Anything out of Mike Mayock's mouth

skill position player only differentiates between Linemen and those that can touch the ball.

Yeah and it's annoying! "Skill" position? So the other positions don't incorporate skill? Should have chosen a better term!

LOL i totally agree, it's a slap in the face to the other positions. Just call them the "faster" guys? it makes more logical sense, or "speed positions"
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by maltz88:
The single biggest over used term from my perspective is "shut down corner."

And right along with the shut down corners is them "taking away 1/2 the field."

Drives me crazy.

"taking away 1/2 the field"...more like taking away ONE player lol
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Cancer. Who has access to the locker room or the inner workings of an NFL team to determine this

well you CAN'T deny that T.O. was a cancer, maybe Moss when he didn't get his way as well
"controlling your own destiny"

isn't destiny already decided? hate that stupid phrase every time they start using toward playoff time
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
game manager.

This phrase could mean, he's smart, makes good decisions, but has no arm strength and we're looking for someone long term.
Player not named...
game manager
bust
locker room cancer
running quarterback
diva
[ Edited by xtm059 on Aug 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]
"Passing League"
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
"controlling your own destiny"

isn't destiny already decided? hate that stupid phrase every time they start using toward playoff time

Okay, that's deep. But, you're right - destiny, by definition, cannot be controlled. It's pre-ordained.
Originally posted by 16to87:
New York football Giants

Seems funny that this moniker sticks around considering it refers to the fact that they were the second Giants in town. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they were ever called the New York Baseball Giants. Just the Giants and I'm glad they are not the San Francisco Baseball Giants.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
"controlling your own destiny"

isn't destiny already decided? hate that stupid phrase every time they start using toward playoff time

Okay, that's deep. But, you're right - destiny, by definition, cannot be controlled. It's pre-ordained.

des·ti·ny noun ˈdes-tə-nē plural des·ti·nies Definition of DESTINY

1: something to which a person or thing is destined : fortune <wants to control his own destiny>

2: a predetermined course of events often held to be an irresistible power or agency

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/destiny

Hmmm, I get your point but it is kinda funny that even Websters uses it in that way as an example.....just saying, semantics are so very fun






/thread
Oh, every player that isn't a top ten draft pick apparently has a chip on his shoulder. That's cute.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home