LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Overused Labels in the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
In light of the raging debate about the future of AJ Jenkns I thought that I should createna thread on overused terms in football. I'll start off with the too often used bust label. Many fans and sportswriters alike love to throw the term arpund prematurely. I wanted to bump the Anthony Davis thread to illustrate this point, but it has been locked. But reading a few pages of it will show how crazy Niner talk was and is with that term. It's almost as if some fans revel in the failure of their own team's players. This bust thing has gone so far thay some people sre even labeling late round picks (Ronald Johnson from USC for example) busts.

Now this doesn't mean AJ will pan out as a player, but let's not have short term memory here and sct like every 49ers rookie will burst obto the scene like Patrick Willis or even Bruce Miller for that matter. The talent in Jenkins is there. And when it clicks for him, watch out.

BTW, this thread isn't limited to the word bust. We can add others like elite, stud, shut down corner, etc.
Running quarterback.
Good one. CK is definitely NOT a running QB. I've tried to explain that to so many people.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Running quarterback.

This is the big one that gets me.
Manning,Brady
Glad to see others are as annoyed as I am with this constant "running quarterback" mantra. Here's the thing - none of these QB's want to be known as "running quarterbacks", even the ones who run a lot more than Kaepernick does. They all want to be able to stand in the pocket and fire passes. Kaepernick is just a lot better at doing that than a lot of other fans realize. He's a quarterback who can really fly when he has to and when he does, it makes the highlight reel so that's most of what other fans see.
the biggest thing i hate about nfl fans is how quickly they want to label someone a bust or a beast. everyone wants to have the ability to say they called it first. reality is these things take time to play out and often rushes to judgement end up being inaccurate after the fact. years ago rookies were given time to get their feet wet and what not, now after a slow start as a rookie, you're a bust. must be this new social media era we're living in.
[ Edited by crabman82 on Aug 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM ]
I don't think this is an overused label, but I just want to say it annoys me when fans call a player "garbage." None of these guys are garbage. The worst guy on the field was probably the best athlete ever to come out of his home town.
  • thl408
"Gimmick offense"

Just because it's unconventional, doesn't make it a gimmick offense. It carries a negative connotation, it seems. To me it's not a gimmick, it's a version of evolution in an offense that is trying new ways to attack.

The read-option play out of the pistol formation is considered gimmicky, but it tore apart defenses last season. Doesn't seem negative to me. Even Peyton ran a read-option looking play last week.

Run and shoot: it worked for awhile, until the Oilers couldn't hang on to a 4 TD lead by not being able to run the ball. I can still see it being a viable option if the defense has sub par nickel/dime DBs. It should still be used in the proper situation imo.

Wildcat: it worked for awhile, until defenses did not respect the pass. It could be still be used when the situation dictates it.

4-6 defense: I've never heard it described as a gimmick defense even though it has the characteristics of an offense that is labeled a gimmick. Unconventional, different from how a "standard" defense plays.
Physical, they're a very "physical" team -- as if every snap in every game for every team isn't physical.

"The next (insert HOF players name)"

And I can't accept "The Catch 2 or 3" Only "THE catch" was special.
The most annoying phrases to me, "He's one of the best players at his position in the NFL." It seems every game, every week that get used 3-4 times.

"Blue Collar Team" - way over-used.

The one that used to be applied to us, that drove me bonkers, "They're a finesse team."
Originally posted by thl408:
"Gimmick offense"

Just because it's unconventional, doesn't make it a gimmick offense. It carries a negative connotation, it seems. To me it's not a gimmick, it's a version of evolution in an offense that is trying new ways to attack.

The read-option play out of the pistol formation is considered gimmicky, but it tore apart defenses last season. Doesn't seem negative to me. Even Peyton ran a read-option looking play last week.

Run and shoot: it worked for awhile, until the Oilers couldn't hang on to a 4 TD lead by not being able to run the ball. I can still see it being a viable option if the defense has sub par nickel/dime DBs. It should still be used in the proper situation imo.

Wildcat: it worked for awhile, until defenses did not respect the pass. It could be still be used when the situation dictates it.

4-6 defense: I've never heard it described as a gimmick defense even though it has the characteristics of an offense that is labeled a gimmick. Unconventional, different from how a "standard" defense plays.

I remember back in the mid 80's the 49er offense was referred to as a "gimmick offense". Now look, most of the NFL is using a version of Walsh's offense. There was one ex-player who used to call some of the 49er games on TV. I remember him specifically stating numerous times..."Yeah, but it's a gimmick offense." It used to irritate me every time I heard him say it. Can't remember his name though.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Originally posted by thl408:
"Gimmick offense"

I remember back in the mid 80's the 49er offense was referred to as a "gimmick offense". Now look, most of the NFL is using a version of Walsh's offense. There was one ex-player who used to call some of the 49er games on TV. I remember him specifically stating numerous times..."Yeah, but it's a gimmick offense." It used to irritate me every time I heard him say it. Can't remember his name though.

Unless you are lined up with a FB in a traditional 21 look and run the ball 60% of the time, you are a gimmick offense. Funny how they never explain in detail what a traditional offense is. Unless you run 100% of the time, you are a gimmick.
Cancer. Who has access to the locker room or the inner workings of an NFL team to determine this
Share 49ersWebzone