LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

ESPN NFC West Blog

Shop 49ers game tickets
Unfortunately, we've got the worst writer/blogger covering our division for ESPN in Mike Sando. He's just a big Seahawks homer and always makes excuses for them...you can tell he covered the team for years before joining ESPN. To make matters worse, he relies on this guy named Matt Williamson occasionally for opinions on talent within our division. Here's the latest beauty from Matt (courtesy of Mike) from a blog just posted in ranking the WRs for each team in our division:

Williamson: People think Boldin is better than he is because they remember the playoffs. He is slow. He is always covered and great at making contested catches, but he is always covered. I might rather have Chris Givens from the Rams. And a healthy Sidney Rice would definitely be my No. 2 without Harvin or Crabtree available.

Are you kidding me? Don't even mention Givens and Boldin in the same sentence - Boldin is way above Givens in talent and experience. And, Rice as the #2 WR in the division w/ Crabtree and Harvin hurt? It's a shame a big-name media outlet like ESPN has these guys trying to cover our division. Can we get a petition going to get Sando and Williamson removed from writing anything about the NFC West?
I feel the same way.

I used to read the blog a lot... when I found out that Sando used to cover the Seahawks exclusively, I started to question his objectiveness. Every time I read something he writes, I feel like there's a bias to it. It's totally possible I unfairly judge him, but at this point, it's one of those "can't un-see it now that I've seen it" sort of things.
Snooped his Facebook once, his kids got Kap Jersey's from Sando's dad for the Superbowl. Seems like the rest of his family are Niner Diehards. But yeah, he's a big ole Hawk Homer.
[ Edited by mattster03 on Jul 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
He has become almost unreadable since the Seahawks became relevant, putting a Seattle spin on every article regardless of which team the article is about.

And Matt Williamson can suck a bag of dicks, like honestly that dude bashes the niner players every chance he gets.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
CAWK lovers don't deserve our attention--don't read/comment on their crap articles...
Originally posted by 5280High:
He has become almost unreadable since the Seahawks became relevant, putting a Seattle spin on every article regardless of which team the article is about.

And Matt Williamson can suck a bag of dicks, like honestly that dude bashes the niner players every chance he gets.

And to hear Sando defend Williamson..."It was his opinion based on years of personnel evaluation for ESPN.com and in the NFL itself"...I don't care what Williamson was before his current gig with ESPN and what he is now. Those who really know football can call bullsh*# when we see it, and we see it a lot from Williamson (and Sando). Williamson is off in his analysis many times, so much so that it makes me think he's just trying to stir things up intentionally to get people to read his stuff. Williamson is also originally from Seattle I'm guessing? Seems like he's also always high on the Seahawks.
Let them keep their jobs just so when can see them eat crow when we own this division for years to come. Let them see Kap beast and stew over it
Who cares what the asshats think, I mean really...
Yeah he sucks but I want his job SOOO bad...
It's just how it is.

Hater-ade.

Even when we win the SBowl, they'll definitely find something negative about us in the win.

Whose the more expendible of the Matts? he should sent to take over for Blando, who can go back to jamming with John Clayton at his moms house in seattle...
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Aug 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Personally, I enjoy reading Sando. He seems fair in his treatment of the teams.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Whose the more expendible of the Matts? he should sent to take over for Blando, who can go back to jamming with John Clayton at his moms house in seattle...

Ha, exactly. Sando and Clayton should stay in the Seattle area where they live...that way, they can talk up the Seahawks to each other all day long. Clayton's annoying, too, and in my opinion is incredibly overrated in covering the NFL and giving his "takes" on teams, talent, etc. Yes, bring in Matt Barrows to be the new ESPN NFC West writer. That's my vote.
Clayton at least tries to remain objective and professional even though sometimes he does have bias, Sando just sucks putting everything the niners do with a skeptical or negative spin while praising the seahawks every move.

Share 49ersWebzone