There are 189 users in the forums

Eagles WR Riley Cooper at country concert: "I will fight every n****r here"

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ballistic:
calinig4life

^ I just read that out loud

now my black friends want to jump me

RIP

Why cause I said cully doesn't want to play with gays, I guess.
Originally posted by Amir:
n***a and n****r doesn't always mean a black person in today's world. based on the video, he was talking s**t and about to fight some white dude. people are gonna make a big deal out if it but it's really not.
"I will jump that fence and fight every n***ER here, bro."

Yeah, definitely trying to fight the white dude in the video who most likely is just a friend/part of his group. There

there are no black people at country music concerts.

I'm guessing you've never been to a country music concert..........
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
n***a and n****r doesn't always mean a black person in today's world. based on the video, he was talking s**t and about to fight some white dude. people are gonna make a big deal out if it but it's really not.
Just what fukking planet did you drop out of that make you think such a thing?

I understand why this statement could be inflammatory to a black person (or any person, really) but it's correct.
What planet did he drop out of? Let's talk about planet CTA, anywhere in Chicago. Notice those around you.
Mexican thugs: Every other word is n***a
White thugs: Every other word is n***a
Black thugs: Every other word is n***a
Asian thugs: Every other word is n***a
Of course, the way Riley Cooper said it was not thuggish but more, "I'm a Southern white boy at a country concert and... whoops I just offended most of America with a racist slur."
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Ignore Amir, can't tell if he's trolling, or just intentionally trying to be obtuse.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
you have to cut a drunk guy some slack.
alcohol takes away your judgment. you say stupid stuff you know is wrong.
if cooper holds the same definitions of various black people in his mind as chris rock does, then when he gets drunk he'll just start saying it all, no matter that it's unwise in various social situations because people will not understand his point of view and be offended.

but, in general, i think people should realize that what people say and do when they're drunk is not a clear definition of who they are. alcohol allows the stupid, primitive, animalistic side of all of us to run amok, with little governance from our refined, civilized self. people need to understand this, and not persecute drunk people for their drunken words as if they were cold, calculating and sober.
[ Edited by xcfan on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM ]
Ya know I would almost let it pass if he wasn't wearing a cutoff flannel at a kenny chesney concert. You couldn't make this s**t up.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Ya know I would almost let it pass if he wasn't wearing a cutoff flannel at a kenny chesney concert. You couldn't make this s**t up.

you mean the phili meathead persona isn't who he is?
Standard boilerplate, free speech, free to deal with consequences etc etc etc

BUT

Why are people going to so much trouble to try to justify this guy saying this word?
I will say this, Vick forgave him man to man rightfully so as a man who sinned himself and as the leader of that team so I think the team eventually will. The man has apologized to everyone now and he should be allowed a second chance just as Vick was. No one is perfect and life goes on. As a black man I have to believe that the man is truly sorry and for me personally if you don't say it to me or in my presence then the slur doesn't mean a da@n thing to me and I won't lose sleep over it. If you say it to my face and direct it to me, now we have a problem. This should blow over, no life was lost yet feelings were hurt but time heals everything. There will be athletes to use this as bulletin board material so they can lay a good lickin on him from time to time though. That much is inevitable but Riley will get through this and be a better man for it
Originally posted by xcfan:
you mean the phili meathead persona isn't who he is?

I associated the image to a more southern part of the country specifically an area where wheat farms are common. I was just trying to add a little humor to the situation.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I will say this, Vick forgave him man to man rightfully so as a man who sinned himself and as the leader of that team so I think the team eventually will. The man has apologized to everyone now and he should be allowed a second chance just as Vick was. No one is perfect and life goes on. As a black man I have to believe that the man is truly sorry and for me personally if you don't say it to me or in my presence then the slur doesn't mean a da@n thing to me and I won't lose sleep over it. If you say it to my face and direct it to me, now we have a problem. This should blow over, no life was lost yet feelings were hurt but time heals everything. There will be athletes to use this as bulletin board material so they can lay a good lickin on him from time to time though. That much is inevitable but Riley will get through this and be a better man for it

The Vick comparison is very smart.

I don't know how Riley is in the locker room but if this was really just a drunken bonehead, and he has a good rapport with the players in the locker room, then I'm sure the worst the reaction he will get is a couple of jokes at his expense.

I wonder if Philli will fine/suspend him.

Originally posted by eonblue:
I associated the image to a more southern part of the country specifically an area where wheat farms are common. I was just trying to add a little humor to the situation.

The Vick comparison is very smart.

I don't know how Riley is in the locker room but if this was really just a drunken bonehead, and he has a good rapport with the players in the locker room, then I'm sure the worst the reaction he will get is a couple of jokes at his expense.

I wonder if Philli will fine/suspend him.

I think they fined him and really that is enough because I am sure he already feels like absolute sh!t about it and I guarantee you won't see him repeating this behavior again. Sometimes we all have to learn lessons the hard way. The players will follow Vick and rally behind Riley. You might have 1 or 2 outliers but for the most part they will have his back and will probably grow closer with him. Fact is Riley has worked closely and played with more blacks than I have for a big part of his life and he knows that people are people much moreso than the average American. This more than likely was a drunken statement
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
My question is this, he can apologize 24/7 for the next 6 months if he wants, but how the heck is he going to be able to convince people that he isn't racist ?? And if things don't pan out well in the Eagles locker room for him, tell me which other locker room in the league would be OK with it ?
Originally posted by aTx49er:
"I will jump that fence and fight every n***ER here, bro."

Yeah, definitely trying to fight the white dude in the video who most likely is just a friend/part of his group. There

there are no black people at country music concerts.

I'm guessing you've never been to a country music concert..........

That part surprises a lot of people.
Originally posted by Rascal:
My question is this, he can apologize 24/7 for the next 6 months if he wants, but how the heck is he going to be able to convince people that he isn't racist ?? And if things don't pan out well in the Eagles locker room for him, tell me which other locker room in the league would be OK with it ?

I think the answer to your question is he wont be able to convince everyone and there's no guarantee he can convince the locker room. The locker room has a better understanding of his character than the general public does and if he is indeed a racist than his comments will probably resonate with his behavior. He's going to have to put the work in, and probably the least important but most effective method of clearing this up would be for him to perform on the field. If he can help the team be successful the team will be much more likely to accept him. As far as other teams are concerned I can't tell you how that would workout but I guarantee he would meet some resistance. He would have to meet with leaders of the team and gain their trust. Vick vouching for him this morning was pretty huge for this process.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So a racist, murderer and a virgin preacher walk into a bar...

That's what I was thinking. There needs to be a punch line there somewhere.
Share 49ersWebzone