There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eagles WR Riley Cooper at country concert: "I will fight every n****r here"

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Heres the thing, Not even the black community can grasp centuries of slavery, lynchings, etc. Not a single one of them were alive then. Not a single one of them have grandparents that were alive then. It only effects black culture because they have allowed it to be a social crutch that is at this point in time and history become a huge burden to the growth of their race and culture.

Why is it acceptable for blacks to hold a century old grudge over something they did not experiance and over something that no one alive took part in? Its a social crutch, and those in power love manipulating that crutch because it keeps the black community exactly where those in power want it.

If its acceptable for blacks to hold onto historical grudges indefinately why not Jews? Why not the irish? Why not anyone for that matter. Go back far enough in history and every single race and culture has been enslaved at one point or another, and generally speaking for a lot longer time span than africans in the west.

Here is the thing about slavery that the black community has failed to grasp. Slavery has never and will never be about race through the history of hummanity. It has always been about those in power exploiting those without power. Blacks have enslaved other blacks, whites have enslaved other whites, arabs have enslaved other arabs, asians have enslaved other asians. Its about power.

I don't have the time or energy to respond. All I will say is your twisted view of history makes me sad. . For my personal health I think it may be nice to lock the thread or at least move it to the parking lt.
Originally posted by Antix:
I'm a black (if that matters) and I kinda feel bad for dude. It's not really all that fair to him. For one, there's plenty of white guys (players, owners, coaches) who have said n****r in a derogatory way, but they didn't have the misfortune of getting caught. Also, he picked the WRONG slur to say. if he had said chink, f*g, c**t, dyke, etc he woulda gotten off far easier.

He was drunk at a country concert. Half those people say n****r 10 times before they brush their teeth in the morning. I don't find the word itself that offensive, it's the actions behind it. Somebody can be 1000x more racist without ever uttering a word than he was by saying n****r. Like I said, sucks for him.

I agree with you that ACTIONS are far more relevant than words.

People will say cruel things when they are angry. Racial slurs are cruel, so they are ideal to say when you are angry at someone.
Remember when Michael Richards was doing a comedy routine and was being heckled, and then he called the heckler the "n" word? He was SO angry, you could see it in his eyes. He was angry that he was being heckled, so he tried to think of the most hurtful thing he could.
Cooper looked really angry. I don't know what instigated that anger, but obviously something did, and he felt like using a hurtful word.
I'm not saying anger justifies anything, but its not as bad as ACTIONS.
For example, the real question is, will Riley Cooper harass a neighbor who was black? Would Riley Cooper refuse to order food from a black waiter? Would Riley Cooper refuse to sit next to a black person on a bus? Etc.

Actions are the real test for racism. Racist remarks in anger, or racist remarks in jest (with your friends), are no where near the same level as racist actions.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Heres the thing, Not even the black community can grasp centuries of slavery, lynchings, etc. Not a single one of them were alive then. Not a single one of them have grandparents that were alive then. It only effects black culture because they have allowed it to be a social crutch that is at this point in time and history become a huge burden to the growth of their race and culture.

Why is it acceptable for blacks to hold a century old grudge over something they did not experiance and over something that no one alive took part in? Its a social crutch, and those in power love manipulating that crutch because it keeps the black community exactly where those in power want it.

If its acceptable for blacks to hold onto historical grudges indefinately why not Jews? Why not the irish? Why not anyone for that matter. Go back far enough in history and every single race and culture has been enslaved at one point or another, and generally speaking for a lot longer time span than africans in the west.

Here is the thing about slavery that the black community has failed to grasp. Slavery has never and will never be about race through the history of hummanity. It has always been about those in power exploiting those without power. Blacks have enslaved other blacks, whites have enslaved other whites, arabs have enslaved other arabs, asians have enslaved other asians. Its about power.

I don't have the time or energy to respond. All I will say is your twisted view of history makes me sad. . For my personal health I think it may be nice to lock the thread or at least move it to the parking lt.

Im sorry the truth hurts. We live in a country where a black man can become president where something like 72% of voters are white. That president has had tons of opportunities to unite the country outside of ethnic and racial devides and instead he has used his power to further divide the country. He has manipulated both sides. Another perfect example of those in power using that power to manipulate those that fail to see.
do you any of you feel that Cooper didn't do anything wrong? like all this negative attn is just an 'overreaction'?

So this thread was fun while it lasted. Lock it up.

A large population of black Americans are still enslaved mentally by inheritance of their ancestry. This is a crutch passed on to them by the environment and behaviors to which they (WE) are exposed to. The only way out is to acknowledge this fact and do something about it. By blacks studying what actually happened during slavery and Jim Crow times an answer to adjusting to today can be found. The solution won't be perfect but it will be of great benefit. I am living proof of this and I am learning more day by day of how to cope as a black American. Also communication with other races can help because you can gain valuable insight on how others perceive you and how you might change some perceptions. Some stuff I see can bum me out momentarily but in general I accept that not all things will be perfect so I do the best that I can. Riley should not be fired because you have to basically fire everyone but he will take hits on the field and that comes along with playing the game

Im sorry the truth hurts. We live in a country where a black man can become president where something like 72% of voters are white. That president has had tons of opportunities to unite the country outside of ethnic and racial devides and instead he has used his power to further divide the country. He has manipulated both sides. Another perfect example of those in power using that power to manipulate those that fail to see.

Cool your one of those tin foil hat guys. That actually does make me feel better and less sad for you. There are probably better threads even better forums for you to spread the word of Glenn Beck and the likes, yeah?

There are people from every race that hold historical grudges. There are people from every race that do not hold historical grudges. I'm not sure what you mean by "acceptable". The world is a very complicated place. I hope you don't think black people are the only people who hold historical grudges. Historical grudges are what half the wars in the world are fought over.
In the USA, black history is more publicized as a history of race, because they make up a larger portion of the population than, for example, Native Americans etc.
For example, if Native Americans had just as large a population as blacks, the "Redskins" football team would have changed their name a long time ago. They are still fighting against that name, but there aren't enough of them to make it happen. Like you said, its all about power.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
do you any of you feel that Cooper didn't do anything wrong? like all this negative attn is just an 'overreaction'?

Of course it was "wrong".

If I am with my black friend, and we call each other racial slurs, is that wrong? Yes it is, but only slightly.
If I am enraged at someone, and I call him a racial slur, is that wrong? Absolutely it's wrong. Does that 100% prove I am racist, I don't think it does, IMO.
If I am at a restaurant, and refuse to take an order from someone because I don't like their race, is that wrong? Obviously, and this action proves that you are racist, despite any kind or unkind words coming out of your mouth.

If someone is racist, should they be shot or flayed alive? I don't think so, but it is sad that they feel the way they do.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

There are people from every race that hold historical grudges. There are people from every race that do not hold historical grudges. I'm not sure what you mean by "acceptable". The world is a very complicated place. I hope you don't think black people are the only people who hold historical grudges. Historical grudges are what half the wars in the world are fought over.
In the USA, black history is more publicized as a history of race, because they make up a larger portion of the population than, for example, Native Americans etc.
For example, if Native Americans had just as large a population as blacks, the "Redskins" football team would have changed their name a long time ago. They are still fighting against that name, but there aren't enough of them to make it happen. Like you said, its all about power.

Your correct. It was an overly broad and generalized statement, i appologise for that, but the point i was trying to make is still the same i think.

Cool your one of those tin foil hat guys. That actually does make me feel better and less sad for you. There are probably better threads even better forums for you to spread the word of Glenn Beck and the likes, yeah?

No im not, but i would actually enjoy having a civilized conversation with you about this, if you are capable of doing so without allowing emotion to dictate your posts.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
A large population of black Americans are still enslaved mentally by inheritance of their ancestry. This is a crutch passed on to them by the environment and behaviors to which they (WE) are exposed to. The only way out is to acknowledge this fact and do something about it. By blacks studying what actually happened during slavery and Jim Crow times an answer to adjusting to today can be found. The solution won't be perfect but it will be of great benefit. I am living proof of this and I am learning more day by day of how to cope as a black American. Also communication with other races can help because you can gain valuable insight on how others perceive you and how you might change some perceptions. Some stuff I see can bum me out momentarily but in general I accept that not all things will be perfect so I do the best that I can. Riley should not be fired because you have to basically fire everyone but he will take hits on the field and that comes along with playing the game

Thank you.

Talking about and studying issues is much better than avoiding them or changing the subject out of fear.
Pretending things don't exist make them worse.

No im not, but i would actually enjoy having a civilized conversation with you about this, if you are capable of doing so without allowing emotion to dictate your posts.

He's not. History has shown us this.