There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eagles WR Riley Cooper at country concert: "I will fight every n****r here"

Originally posted by Furlow:
This X 1,000.

Listen up white people (and I'm half white, half Asian) - you don't get to say either version. If you say "n-er," you're a racist, plain and simple. If you say "n-a," you're ignorant and insensitive. IT'S NOT YOUR WORD! Yes, it is okay for blacks to refer to other blacks, or even to their white friends, as "n-a." It has an entirely different definition and meaning.

It is essentially a black person's way of trying to make white people think that they have accepted the use of the demeaning term "n-er." It is a black person's way of dealing with centuries slavery, lynching, segregation, racism and system of laws so skewed that it's damn near impossible to get out of.

So stop trying to debate whether or not there is a "double standard," or who can or can't say which version. It's simple - IT'S NOT YOUR WORD. Say either version at your own risk. Riley Cooper is a racist punk and deserves to get his head taken off in every game he plays.

I disagree. With n****a at least. Once you put that word out in lyrical form you can't get mad if some white dude says it.

If you have a problem with that don't profit off of it. Simple as that. If you make that word part of hip hop culture and some white kid says it because he likes the culture as well and wants to fit in. That's your own fault. If you think hip hop culture should only be for blacks well you're just as big of a racist as the country hick who doesn't want to see blacks in country.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I'm a black (if that matters) and I kinda feel bad for dude. It's not really all that fair to him. For one, there's plenty of white guys (players, owners, coaches) who have said n****r in a derogatory way, but they didn't have the misfortune of getting caught. Also, he picked the WRONG slur to say. if he had said chink, f*g, c**t, dyke, etc he woulda gotten off far easier.

He was drunk at a country concert. Half those people say n****r 10 times before they brush their teeth in the morning. I don't find the word itself that offensive, it's the actions behind it. Somebody can be 1000x more racist without ever uttering a word than he was by saying n****r. Like I said, sucks for him.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
This X 1,000.

Listen up white people (and I'm half white, half Asian) - you don't get to say either version. If you say "n-er," you're a racist, plain and simple. If you say "n-a," you're ignorant and insensitive. IT'S NOT YOUR WORD! Yes, it is okay for blacks to refer to other blacks, or even to their white friends, as "n-a." It has an entirely different definition and meaning.

It is essentially a black person's way of trying to make white people think that they have accepted the use of the demeaning term "n-er." It is a black person's way of dealing with centuries slavery, lynching, segregation, racism and system of laws so skewed that it's damn near impossible to get out of.

So stop trying to debate whether or not there is a "double standard," or who can or can't say which version. It's simple - IT'S NOT YOUR WORD. Say either version at your own risk. Riley Cooper is a racist punk and deserves to get his head taken off in every game he plays.

I disagree. With n****a at least. Once you put that word out in lyrical form you can't get mad if some white dude says it.

If you have a problem with that don't profit off of it. Simple as that. If you make that word part of hip hop culture and some white kid says it because he likes the culture as well and wants to fit in. That's your own fault.

I have no clue why using it in a rap song and profiting from it makes it "okay" for non-blacks to use. More understandable? Maybe. Perhaps that's why some black people give their white friends a "pass" as 99problems said. All of my black friends give me "the pass," and they call me "n-a" all the time. But it's not my word. It seems pretty simple to me, I don't understand all the confusion.
Originally posted by Antix:
I'm a black (if that matters) and I kinda feel bad for dude. It's not really all that fair to him. For one, there's plenty of white guys (players, owners, coaches) who have said n****r in a derogatory way, but they didn't have the misfortune of getting caught. Also, he picked the WRONG slur to say. if he had said chink, f*g, c**t, dyke, etc he woulda gotten off far easier.

He was drunk at a country concert. Half those people say n****r 10 times before they brush their teeth in the morning. I don't find the word itself that offensive, it's the actions behind it. Somebody can be 1000x more racist without ever uttering a word than he was by saying n****r. Like I said, sucks for him.

Well-said.
I have no clue why using it in a rap song and profiting from it makes it "okay" for non-blacks to use. More understandable? Maybe. Perhaps that's why some black people give their white friends a "pass" as 99problems said. All of my black friends give me "the pass," and they call me "n-a" all the time. But it's not my word. It seems pretty simple to me, I don't understand all the confusion.

You're selling the culture to that white kid as well. Should he feel guilty for reciting the phrase because it has the n word in it? Like I said earlier I've seen people threatened because they said "fo shizzle my nizzle". No white person knows the meaning of that. They know the word only because of Snoop.

You can't expect a kid to grasp centuries of slavery, lynchings, etc and how it effects the culture. If it's ignorant and insensitive it's only because you opened the door for it by making the word cool.

You're selling the culture to that white kid as well. Should he feel guilty for reciting the phrase because it has the n word in it? Like I said earlier I've seen people threatened because they said "fo shizzle my nizzle". No white person knows the meaning of that. They know the word only because of Snoop.

You can't expect a kid to grasp centuries of slavery, lynchings, etc and how it effects the culture. If it's ignorant and insensitive it's only because you opened the door for it by making the word cool.

Good point. You have me thinking about it. I suppose for kids of a certain age, they're too unaware to know that they are ignorant. But where are your parents??

Lol I know, I'm asking a lot.

Don't get me started on "fo shizzle my nizzle." All the white people saying that just sounding as ignorant as can be...
Good point. You have me thinking about it. I suppose for kids of a certain age, they're too unaware to know that they are ignorant. But where are your parents??

Lol I know, I'm asking a lot.

Don't get me started on "fo shizzle my nizzle." All the white people saying that just sounding as ignorant as can be...

Pretty much all kids talk differently around their friends then they do to their parents, and yes you are expecting way too much if you think everyone has responsible parents.

I agree with you it sounds dumb but to fight because a white person said it? Yeah equally dumb.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM ]
The best statement to come out of it was Kenny Chesney's, who said "I don't believe in discrimination of any kind".
Still going. Went end well. Carry on.....

This.

The n word is getting watered down , and people don't see how so.
after speed reading this contest of diatribes, I repeat what I said back on page 12. Man, am I ever glad I am a 9er fan, but not an Eagles fan...nor for that matter, for reasons already posted, a cowboys fan, an A-Rod fan, a Braun fan(Brewers), a SEA fan(CB PEDS infraction)...and so on. It seems this thread has been beaten to pulp and I don't really think I have learned anything new from it. With that I bid you all adieu.
This thread proves once again people can't have a discussion about race, don't want to and are incapable if they try.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This thread turned out about as well as I would have expected.

Actually IMO it has been much more civilized than i expected, i expected 5 bans by the end of page three.
Originally posted by Ballistic:
***Let's just pretend for a moment that the Eagles waive Riley Cooper, and the Niners' wideout depth remains thin... Collie + Hawkins don't pan out in training camp

would you welcome Cooper as a Niner?

Yes. Football is not a miss america pagent.

Heres the thing, Not even the black community can grasp centuries of slavery, lynchings, etc. Not a single one of them were alive then. Not a single one of them have grandparents that were alive then. It only effects black culture because they have allowed it to be a social crutch that is at this point in time and history become a huge burden to the growth of their race and culture.

Why is it acceptable for blacks to hold a century old grudge over something they did not experiance and over something that no one alive took part in? Its a social crutch, and those in power love manipulating that crutch because it keeps the black community exactly where those in power want it.

If its acceptable for blacks to hold onto historical grudges indefinately why not Jews? Why not the irish? Why not anyone for that matter. Go back far enough in history and every single race and culture has been enslaved at one point or another, and generally speaking for a lot longer time span than africans in the west.

Here is the thing about slavery that the black community has failed to grasp. Slavery has never and will never be about race through the history of hummanity. It has always been about those in power exploiting those without power. Blacks have enslaved other blacks, whites have enslaved other whites, arabs have enslaved other arabs, asians have enslaved other asians. Its about power.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Aug 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM ]