There are 259 users in the forums

Matt Ryan Signs 5YR, 103.75 Mil Extension

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
These QB contracts are out of hand... smh. If Ryan wins a SB I think it would be justifiable but this man has only won what? Two playoff games in his life?!

Originally posted by YungAce:

Beat me to it.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Niners don't and won't pay the premium prices other teams pay. Kap is gonna get paid, but I think he signs for less than a lot of people expect and earns much less than what is reported. The Niners are run a bit differently, and it starts at the top with JH making far less than he could.

This may be the case with most positions, but not a franchise QB or a top pass rusher. You pay them what they want.
Kap - 20mil per.
Aldon - 15+mil per.

The sooner people accept it the sooner they will accept that we are going to lose a bunch of players in the next few years.
WE'RE STILL IN GREAT SHAPE. But please, don't go ripping into Baalke and York WHEN we have to part ways with some players.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The Niners don't and won't pay the premium prices other teams pay. Kap is gonna get paid, but I think he signs for less than a lot of people expect and earns much less than what is reported. The Niners are run a bit differently, and it starts at the top with JH making far less than he could.

Harbaugh will make a lot more when his contract comes up, he didn't sign a cheap deal. He had no NFL experience as a Head Coach was paid very well.

People need to stop thinking the Niners have some magic to get guys to take discounts. Kap's agent won't be letting him take some 49er discount just because they have 6 rings (assuming they get it this year). If he is as good as we all hope he will be, he will be paid top dollar somewhere. I just hope they have enough young guys on cheap deals to surround him with when they have to start letting some of the expensive guys go
Any chance we e nd up trading kaep for a robert griffin type trade? Only reason I ask is becase of harbaughs ability to turn any QB into a star. Look what he did with smith.
I know this sounds dumb cuz it is dumb but damn kaep is going to stop us from keeping some key players. 20-25 million a year is a lot to tie up to one guy. We do draft very well though so maybe we can keep bringing in young talent and not miss a step. I know I will be flamed for this , but you never know with harbaalke.
They're moving into a new stadium. Whoever must be paid will be paid. You will see more guys like Soap, Walker and Alex finding new teams. Keep the line moving with draft picks and overlooked free agents. Lock up Baalke and Coach pronto.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Kap - 20mil per.
Aldon - 15+mil per.

The sooner people accept it the sooner they will accept that we are going to lose a bunch of players in the next few years.
WE'RE STILL IN GREAT SHAPE. But please, don't go ripping into Baalke and York WHEN we have to part ways with some players.

As an aside, if we have to dismantle the line to pay for the qb, the qb is gonna regret his greed.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
IMO, CK still has a lot to prove. for all we know, he'll go on a 5 game losing streak to end the season and we can get him for cheeps. or just release his chicken legged ass and start BJ Daniels.
Good for Ryan.

I'm confident that our FO will do the very best for the players we need to keep and still field the best team possible.

A huge benefit is the rookies coming in have a structured pay grade unlike before. So, if a player like GB Rogers slips in performance we can move on to someone whom we've been grooming for the position at less $

Not a perfect world but we seem to have the right people at the helm to take us in the best direction possible.

I read this as Meg Ryan signs 5 YR 103.75 Mil Extension
Originally posted by tigolbitties:
Any chance we e nd up trading kaep for a robert griffin type trade? Only reason I ask is becase of harbaughs ability to turn any QB into a star. Look what he did with smith.
I know this sounds dumb cuz it is dumb but damn kaep is going to stop us from keeping some key players. 20-25 million a year is a lot to tie up to one guy. We do draft very well though so maybe we can keep bringing in young talent and not miss a step. I know I will be flamed for this , but you never know with harbaalke.

Look at any dynasty and you'll realize one thing: they all have franchise QBs. The reason I say to look at dynasties is because teams have won a single Super Bowl without a top QB, but never multiple Super Bowls. The Ravens won one with Dilfer, but never again until this year with Flacco. Being that Flacco simply isn't that good, I'm willing to bet they never win another one with him.

Historically, the key to sustained success and Super Bowl wins is the QB. If Kaep is what we think he is, you pay him whatever he wants because he will be the key to our success. If we have to lose other players because of it, so be it. No other player will play as big of a roll as the QB. The closest thing will be a pass rusher because they can make a defense good almost on their own. A decent run defense becomes a top defense if you have a pass rusher who can disrupt plays. Rushing the QB helps everyone, especially the secondary. This is why you also pay premiere pass rushers what they want. They are the defense's QB in terms of importance.

Bottom line, you pay these guys the most because they are the most important pieces of their respective units. We will have to invest heavily in Kaep and Aldon. And we should.
Originally posted by English:
As an aside, if we have to dismantle the line to pay for the qb, the qb is gonna regret his greed.

I call this the Tom Brady
They need to place caps on positions now. Its getting so bad with QBs taking up a so much of the cap space.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by tigolbitties:

Look at any dynasty and you'll realize one thing: they all have franchise QBs. The reason I say to look at dynasties is because teams have won a single Super Bowl without a top QB, but never multiple Super Bowls. The Ravens won one with Dilfer, but never again until this year with Flacco. Being that Flacco simply isn't that good, I'm willing to bet they never win another one with him.

Historically, the key to sustained success and Super Bowl wins is the QB. If Kaep is what we think he is, you pay him whatever he wants because he will be the key to our success. If we have to lose other players because of it, so be it. No other player will play as big of a roll as the QB. The closest thing will be a pass rusher because they can make a defense good almost on their own. A decent run defense becomes a top defense if you have a pass rusher who can disrupt plays. Rushing the QB helps everyone, especially the secondary. This is why you also pay premiere pass rushers what they want. They are the defense's QB in terms of importance.

Bottom line, you pay these guys the most because they are the most important pieces of their respective units. We will have to invest heavily in Kaep and Aldon. And we should.

Yup. Kaep and Aldon aren't going anywhere. The last time we made that choice Haley was traded him to the team that killed us. That trade was devastating. We not only lost one of the best, we gave him to our main competition.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 30, 2013 at 12:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone