There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best receiving tandems of ALL time!!!

• SaksV
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for SaksV.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by Milkman:

When did we wear these uni's? 1995? I've never seen (don't remember seeing) the combo of the '94 "throw back" pants with the modernized "cardinal" jerseys and modern helmet???

These Jersey's blew. Okay concept. I liked the all whites better.

This was 1997 I believe.... December 7th 1997 if I'm not mistaken. T.O.'s birthday (mine as well)... The night Jerry came back from his big knee injury, only to re-injure it on a TD catch....Retired Joe Montana's jersey at halftime...clinched home field advantage with a win that Monday Night against the eventual SB champ Broncos. The only game in which Kevin Greene played well for us. Bill Romanowski spit in J.J.'s face......
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Not sure where you are going with this, but for the record the Rice/Taylor tandem needs to be ranked higher than the Rice/TO tandem simply because there was a better synergy with Taylor at his prime at the same time as Rice as opposed to the older not as lethal Rice that played with an up and coming TO. This is not a cut & paste of early '90s Rice with early '00s TO, haha.

So beyond defending my favorite all time son of SF, it's just the right choice. Yes, Taylor played on more complete teams with a better QB....but does anyone ever stop and talk about just how underrated Taylor was?

The two 90+ TDs in one game and 286 yards receiving in one game (#3 all time, was #2 until Rice broke it with 289). Scored the only touchdowns against the Giants all of 1990. Has a 97 yard TD against Falcons. Caught a TD pass on Deion from Steve Bono. And constantly a thorn against the Rams, even in '94/'95 down years. All of this with a huge underachieving reputation. Dude was incredible!

As a side note, props to Henry Ellard/Flipper Anderson......always a respected tandem rival that did their thing.

And not sure if Irvin/Harper made the list....very good, and HOF every time they played us.

Yeah, I get annoyed when people argue for tandems where one receiver (or both) was past his prime, but based on career numbers they're two of the best of all-time.

Rice/Owens, Rice/Tim Brown...Rice was a shell of himself those years.
Originally posted by Milkman:

When did we wear these uni's? 1995? I've never seen (don't remember seeing) the combo of the '94 "throw back" pants with the modernized "cardinal" jerseys and modern helmet???

The 1996 and 1997 seasons.
I'm surprised nfl.com didn't say that Rice and Taylor were "overrated."
f**kers didn't include Lloyd & Battle
Rice and Taylor. Rice even said if Taylor had put his all into it he would be better then Rice.
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Not sure where you are going with this, but for the record the Rice/Taylor tandem needs to be ranked higher than the Rice/TO tandem simply because there was a better synergy with Taylor at his prime at the same time as Rice as opposed to the older not as lethal Rice that played with an up and coming TO. This is not a cut & paste of early '90s Rice with early '00s TO, haha.

So beyond defending my favorite all time son of SF, it's just the right choice. Yes, Taylor played on more complete teams with a better QB....but does anyone ever stop and talk about just how underrated Taylor was?

The two 90+ TDs in one game and 286 yards receiving in one game (#3 all time, was #2 until Rice broke it with 289). Scored the only touchdowns against the Giants all of 1990. Has a 97 yard TD against Falcons. Caught a TD pass on Deion from Steve Bono. And constantly a thorn against the Rams, even in '94/'95 down years. All of this with a huge underachieving reputation. Dude was incredible!

As a side note, props to Henry Ellard/Flipper Anderson......always a respected tandem rival that did their thing.

And not sure if Irvin/Harper made the list....very good, and HOF every time they played us.

Yeah, I get annoyed when people argue for tandems where one receiver (or both) was past his prime, but based on career numbers they're two of the best of all-time.

Rice/Owens, Rice/Tim Brown...Rice was a shell of himself those years.

This and double this. As far as players at the top of their game, I don't know how you could do any better than Rice and Taylor. It's been said before, but had Taylor been on any other team, he'd have been the number one. Just two phenomenal receivers, thrown to by a phenomenal QB. Those were the days!!!
i wish taylor and craig were in the HOF.
Sorry I hate to break the homer streak of post but I believe of the modern era of WR's it is Holt and Bruce. They both went over 1000 yards 8 times in their careers. They had quite a few racking up in the high 800's and 900's. I dreaded playing their WR core with Ahmad Plummer, Jason Webster, and Mike Rumph as our corners. I am a huge Taylor fan but his production was basically from 89-93 and only had two 1000 yard seasons. If I am not mistaken he had like 10 catches for 325 yards and 2 TD's in 88 as he was becoming a WR. Rice and Taylor were great Tandems and as much as I want to name them #1 I give it to Holt and Bruce. They shredded DB's continuously. If someone wants to look up and verify those stats to make sure I am right be my guest. I do not have time to make corrections if not.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Sorry I hate to break the homer streak of post but I believe of the modern era of WR's it is Holt and Bruce. They both went over 1000 yards 8 times in their careers. They had quite a few racking up in the high 800's and 900's. I dreaded playing their WR core with Ahmad Plummer, Jason Webster, and Mike Rumph as our corners. I am a huge Taylor fan but his production was basically from 89-93 and only had two 1000 yard seasons. If I am not mistaken he had like 10 catches for 325 yards and 2 TD's in 88 as he was becoming a WR. Rice and Taylor were great Tandems and as much as I want to name them #1 I give it to Holt and Bruce. They shredded DB's continuously. If someone wants to look up and verify those stats to make sure I am right be my guest. I do not have time to make corrections if not.

plummer was a bum who somehow someway finagled a huge contract out of donahue,, jason webster spent his career with sprained ankles,, and well the less said about rumph the better
80 and 82
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWay:
80 and 82
followed i think by freddy s and dwight c. brian gilmore and taylor jacobs are probably somewhere in the mix as well
Tough choice really....

Prime Rice and healthy JT is is on par with Chris Carter and Randy Moss as far as over and under threat in the passing game.

Healthy JT was dangerous and could have( probably WOULD HAVE) been a pro-bowl WR on another team out of Rice's Shadow.

We know TO and Rice were two Pro-bowl best in the NFL WRs and both are or will be hall of fame WRs.

But as a pair... I think Rice and a healthy JT have a better Fit the post injury Rice and TO.
What no hawks tandem oh wait there were never good at all let alone had any good receivers. As for the niners twice they could've put him there three four times with Tim brown and JJ stokes f**k suckattle
besides Rice/Taylor, the WR duos I admired are ....Duper/Clayton ....Stallworth/Swann ...Carter/Moss/Reed ....even though they are the enemy , Irvin/Harper were very dangerous