There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

28 NFL Players arrested since the SB - What's wrong with the NFL?

Originally posted by modninerfan:
1% of NFL players haven been arrested

national average is 0.6%

thats not that bad considering the history these dudes have or where they came from

DOUBLE the national arrest rate isn't bad for a group of individuals whose MINIMUM SALARY places them in the TOP 1% of ALL EARNERS?
Yeah, they have good reason to commit crimes at that rate. Not that bad.

national average is 0.6%

thats not that bad considering the history these dudes have or where they came from

Exactly! A thug is a thug no matter what opportunities or amount of money he gets.

And about Goodell needing to do more. Why? If your not scared of the law, I highly doubt you're scared of strike 3 by the NFL.
The Ravens won the Superbowl that's why.
Originally posted by captain_planet:

national average is 0.6%

DOUBLE the national arrest rate isn't bad for a group of individuals whose MINIMUM SALARY places them in the TOP 1% of ALL EARNERS?

What exactly do you think will happen when you give young and immature people a s**t ton of money? You think everyone wants to go to Disney World?
No culture change came of

Ray Lewis incident

Rae carruth

PAC-man jones

Tank Johnson

Pretty sure a lot worse happened before them, but there was no twitter or instant media that could make their disgraces public
young men with lots of money and a long offseason away from mandatory club activities.

The bad cases are just bad cases that would occur weather they had the money or not. The minor cases are IMO a case of being young, dumb, and bored, and having alot of money.

I think what needs to happen is there needs to be more required activity and camps that are mandatory for all players in the offseason. Keep them from getting bored and keep them closer to club activities. IMO offseasons should not be as free as they are. I understand its a tough long season, but thats what these guy get paid for. They should be required to do alot more in the offseason with their clubs and that way they stay busy earning their money, and less busy spending it. Careers are short in the NFL, there is plenty of time to spend money and get into trouble after your contract is up.
there are 90 players on each nfl team right now, 32 teams. That's around 2900 players.

28 out of 2900 isnt that bad..

and Titus Youngs dumbass got arrested like 4 times in one week lol

Not really.. around half of the 2900 wont even make a team. A lot of the 90 on each team are rookies that won't make a team. Like the dude on the browns

And it's not 1% of the players in the NFL, some are repeat offenders (one player can get arrested more than once).
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jun 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Here is what I said in the Hernandez thread:

Might be time for NFL to start cracking down. 3 Strikes and your banned from the league or something like that. Every offseason gets worse... loaded with dui's, spousal abuse, club incidents, performance enhancing drugs, etc. Paul Tagliabue pretty much just left the game alone and didn't suspend anybody. There are many things I don't like about Goodell but at least he's cracked down on players. Think he should take it up a notch. These guys don't realize the NFL will go on without them. They aren't as valuable as they think. If I was someone from the past who made little money and sacrificed my body to make the game what it is today I would be sick at how a lot of these players act and how much they make.

First, not all infractions of the law are the same.

Second, the 29 players arrested are not, at least in my estimation, the norm.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. If you take only 53-man roster that gives you 1696 players. 29 have been arrested. That means 1.71% of those players have been arrested. .

If you take the 53-man roster plus the 7-man practice squad, there are 1920 players. 29 have been arrested. That is 1.51%.

Right now, each team has 90 players on its roster; 2880 players. 29 have been arrested. That is 1.01%.

I do not have the numbers, but my guess is that a high percentage of players actively participate in projects that benefit the community.

I do not think that a three strike rule is required, but I do think that the both league and the player's association should come down harder on players that arrested for violent crimes, and particularly those of domestic violence.

I do think that the NFL needs to incorporate a system of penalties into the draft; penalties that limit the draft possibilities of players with major or numerous infractions of the law and NCAA rules governing behavior. For example, there could be a rule stating that no draft prospect with 3 major violations can be drafted in the first or second round.

The league also has to recognize and act against college coaches who systematically violate the rules. There needs to be rules that limit the ability of coaches such as Pete Carrol and Chip Kelley to use the NFL as a way of avoiding the consequences of their corrupt practices.

The problem of player misconduct starts way before the players make it to the NFL, and corrupt college coaches enable this misconduct.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
young men with lots of money and a long offseason away from mandatory club activities.

The bad cases are just bad cases that would occur weather they had the money or not. The minor cases are IMO a case of being young, dumb, and bored, and having alot of money.

I think what needs to happen is there needs to be more required activity and camps that are mandatory for all players in the offseason. Keep them from getting bored and keep them closer to club activities. IMO offseasons should not be as free as they are. I understand its a tough long season, but thats what these guy get paid for. They should be required to do alot more in the offseason with their clubs and that way they stay busy earning their money, and less busy spending it. Careers are short in the NFL, there is plenty of time to spend money and get into trouble after your contract is up.

Interesting ideas. I agree. Each player should get one month of vacation time.
They are making excellent money and requiring them to work 11 months a year is not unreasonable.

national average is 0.6%

What is the arrest rate for people 18-24 years old?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

national average is 0.6%

What is the arrest rate for people 18-24 years old?

ya captain's math is all messed up lol
Roger Goodell is making the game "safe" doe
I don't think there is anything wrong w/the NFL. Sure, it could be better but Goodell has definitely been focused on player misconduct.

IMO, it's what's wrong w/society in general. There isn't a simple solution.

It starts w/ the family and then the school systems. Any glorification of criminals and bad behavior adds fuel to the fire.
And how many punishments by the NFL? None...that's the bigger question.

Let's just chalk it up to Roid-rage covered up by Adderall.