There are 255 users in the forums

Brandon Browner wants to wring Harbaugh's neck

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm not even sure that other teams do it. If everyone did it, the results would be more mixed evenly around the league. If it were true that everyone does it, then the Niners and a dozen other teams around the league that have had zero infractions are just tremendously lucky all the time. It's hard for me to believe in that kind of consistent good luck so I have to think there are probably organizations that just don't do it or at least do it a lot less then others.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Missing the point.

Harvin will be good, but they will come to regret that contract and the price in draft picks that they gave up.
FWIW, through the trade, Harvin became Seattle's 1st round draft pick last year... #25 overall. No way was there someone available to pick that is as talented as Harvin... a plus for the Hawks.

The draft picks that they truly "paid" for Harvin are a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2013 7th round pick (#214 overall). Had the Hawks not made the trade, they would have ended up with five (5) 7th round picks. How many of those 5 do you think will make the team this year? I'm guessing one.

So, the true cost of the Harvin trade in picks is a 2014 3rd rounder... and I get the cap hit point and the effect on who the Hawks can re-sign and who they may have to let go... I am just trying to set the record straight on the draft capital that the Hawks spent to get Harvin.
Yes! He's a #25th over all pick. Except instead of the rookie rate, he gets a $63 million contract. Instead of being a great deal for the team for the next few years, he gets $12-$13 million a year starting next year.

So, the point is that he must be great. He has to make a huge difference. That's why he's more of a gamble than a normal #25 pick would be.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes! He's a #25th over all pick. Except instead of the rookie rate, he gets a $63 million contract. Instead of being a great deal for the team for the next few years, he gets $12-$13 million a year starting next year.

So, the point is that he must be great. He has to make a huge difference. That's why he's more of a gamble than a normal #25 pick would be.
I totally get that... absolutely agree.

I believe that the Hawks wanted Tavon Austin, who went #8 overall. If the Hawks traded up from the 25th pick up to the 7th pick to grab Austin, what do you think would have been the price in picks? I'm guessing something close to what Atlanta paid to move up and grab Julio Jones at #6 overall in the 2011 draft.... they gave up 5 picks, including their 1st rounder in both 2011 and 2012.

My point is... if you're locked in on an impact player (or one you think will be), you have to pay the price one way or the other. The Hawks gave up moderate draft capital for Harvin (the 2014 3rd rounder) but have to accommodate the cap hits of $11M - $13M.

Aside from the cap hit difference between Austin and Harvin, the biggest difference is Harvin is only 25 y/o (just turned) and he already has four (4) NFL seasons under his belt.

At this point, Austin is an unknown commodity in the NFL. He may be great. He may be mediocre... or be could turn out to be a bust because his body can't take the punishment. Only time will tell.
I'm not even sure that other teams do it. If everyone did it, the results would be more mixed evenly around the league. If it were true that everyone does it, then the Niners and a dozen other teams around the league that have had zero infractions are just tremendously lucky all the time. It's hard for me to believe in that kind of consistent good luck so I have to think there are probably organizations that just don't do it or at least do it a lot less then others.

Well, it's pretty obvious this issue is biggest in Seattle's cheating locker room. Of course their coach probably promtes it judging from his douchebag character and their fans will always make excuses because their team has failed forever.
"Pete Carroll is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable."

I just read this on seahawks.net

This is the straw that broke the camel's back........im convinced after the Browner comments and seadderall fans defense of said comments......they are the most delusional fanabse i have ever had the misfortune of reading. Seriously??? calling Wilson a HOF QB already and then projecting him as a HOF coach?????

Originally posted by onanygivensunday49:
Aside from the cap hit difference between Austin and Harvin, the biggest difference is Harvin is only 25 y/o (just turned) and he already has four (4) NFL seasons under his belt.

At this point, Austin is an unknown commodity in the NFL. He may be great. He may be mediocre... or be could turn out to be a bust because his body can't take the punishment. Only time will tell.

Well, again, there is another difference that most Hawks fans would like to ignore. As far as I know Tavon Austin has never attacked and tried to strangle a coach. He's never been kicked off of a team. He's never been a disruptive presence in a locker room. With Harvin, there's a history and it's the main reason most organizations didn't want anything to do with him.

Am I raining on your parade or harshing your buzz? Yes. I admit to doing that. I'm a Niner fan. But, if the Niners had hired Harvin AT ANY COST, even at a discount, I would be worried about these issues.
"ineluctable"???!!!

Yes, it's inevitable that Wilson will be in the hall. It's inescapable; impossible for any other outcome!

Yikes. If someone said that about Kaepernick around here, he'd get laughed off the board. Seahawks fans are another breed.
Missing the point.

Harvin will be good, but they will come to regret that contract and the price in draft picks that they gave up.
FWIW, through the trade, Harvin became Seattle's 1st round draft pick last year... #25 overall. No way was there someone available to pick that is as talented as Harvin... a plus for the Hawks.

The draft picks that they truly "paid" for Harvin are a 2014 3rd round pick and a 2013 7th round pick (#214 overall). Had the Hawks not made the trade, they would have ended up with five (5) 7th round picks. How many of those 5 do you think will make the team this year? I'm guessing one.

So, the true cost of the Harvin trade in picks is a 2014 3rd rounder... and I get the cap hit point and the effect on who the Hawks can re-sign and who they may have to let go... I am just trying to set the record straight on the draft capital that the Hawks spent to get Harvin.

AGAIN....$$$$$ and picks together....not either one individually. Harvin got top of the market Free Agent $$$ AND cost the team 3 picks.

I totally get that... absolutely agree.

I believe that the Hawks wanted Tavon Austin, who went #8 overall. If the Hawks traded up from the 25th pick up to the 7th pick to grab Austin, what do you think would have been the price in picks? I'm guessing something close to what Atlanta paid to move up and grab Julio Jones at #6 overall in the 2011 draft.... they gave up 5 picks, including their 1st rounder in both 2011 and 2012.

My point is... if you're locked in on an impact player (or one you think will be), you have to pay the price one way or the other. The Hawks gave up moderate draft capital for Harvin (the 2014 3rd rounder) but have to accommodate the cap hits of $11M - $13M.

You can't just leave out the 1st round pick. I understand your point that he essentially IS the first round pick, but you still had to give it up to get him. Saying it was just a 3 is disingenuous. Anquan Boldin cost the Niners a 6th round pick. He didn't cost them nothing.

Those 1st round picks are preci9ous to teams that have drafted well and are only protected right now by the new CBA that prevents players from renegotiating contracts until their first 3 years are up. Very soon, huge paydays are coming and getting players with those 1st rounders to replace guys you can't keep is how you stay a competitor.

Example: The Niners were NEVER going to give Dashon Goldson what he wanted. Thats why they let him walk and took Reid in the first round.

Originally posted by NinerFan408:
"Pete Carroll is a great coach when it comes to preparing his players for battle, but he is not a master at time management or the endgame. Some great QBs have been allowed to call their own plays. Russell Wilson may well be a Hall of Fame coach after a HoF career at QB. It seems ineluctable."

This is the straw that broke the camel's back........im convinced after the Browner comments and seadderall fans defense of said comments......they are the most delusional fanabse i have ever had the misfortune of reading. Seriously??? calling Wilson a HOF QB already and then projecting him as a HOF coach?????

Seams reasonable to me. I mean, the guy can already walk on water. The HoF is nothing compared to that.
Missing the point.

You're a Shecock fan right?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

Seams reasonable to me. I mean, the guy can already walk on water. The HoF is nothing compared to that.

Plus according to Seahawk fans they got the next 3 superbowls already a lock and will run away with the division for the next 10 years. Delusional arrogant morons.
Missing the point.

AGAIN....$$$$$ and picks together....not either one .individually. Harvin got top of the market Free Agent $$$ AND cost the team 3 picks.

Hey Marv I got a question for you man. On the Seacocks forum you predicted a 49ers Seadderal NFC championship. I got to know where you just humoring them to avoid stirring up s**t on a Seahawks board or do you really think that is how it will shake out? I must be the only one who thinks the Seahawks are getting a little too much pre mature respect. Even last season people were saying our run to the NFC champ loss was a fluke how can Seattle be judged any differently?
Originally posted by BayArea:
Missing the point.

AGAIN....$$$$$ and picks together....not either one .individually. Harvin got top of the market Free Agent $$$ AND cost the team 3 picks.

Hey Marv I got a question for you man. On the Seacocks forum you predicted a 49ers Seadderal NFC championship. I got to know where you just humoring them to avoid stirring up s**t on a Seahawks board or do you really think that is how it will shake out? I must be the only one who thinks the Seahawks are getting a little too much pre mature respect. Even last season people were saying our run to the NFC champ loss was a fluke how can Seattle be judged any differently?

I actually believe it.

I don't think the 'Hawks are as good as advertised but I also don't think the 49ers are as good as advertised. I think the media just makes good teams out to be better than they are and bad teams worse than they really are.

I think the Hawks will be there mainly because they are balanced...IE they have a good offense and a good defense. Nobody else outside of SF can say that. Atlanta will choke. GB still has a horrible D. You just never know which Giants team will show up. The Saints will be better but that D is still horrible.

Someone we don't expect might jump up, but my guess is SF-Seattle III in late January.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone