Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WR Austin Collie

Originally posted by susweel:
soft head

• FL9er
  • Veteran
VANILLA, NOT CHOCOLATE!
Who's job would this guy take? Honestly, who on our team is he better then today? I think it's just us doing our homework, in case we need a WR later this season.
I remember playing against him all throughout HS. That kid was truly something special, although I hated him back then. Rooted for him at BYU and Indy, and I hope he can get back to being productive (be it with us or another team)
I really like this kid, he had amazing potential in his first two/ three years and then three straight years ended by concussion. A real tragedy, that he lost his career before it ever got started. He is only 27, so if he is finally symptom free and wears a protective helmet...maybe he would be good fit? He is a quintessential slot receiver. Great hands, shifyt..no real top end speed, but he plays scrappy ball and knows how to move the chains. I had him for two years in fantasy after a decent rookie showing and he was a nice piece in reception leagues averaging around 6-8 catches a game. He doesn't really take the job of anybody we have now because we do not have a true slot guy. Sure many of the guys we have can play it, but Collie is really from the Welker mold...not something anybody on our roster compares too.
He's one sneeze away from another concussion.
Could be a great low risk signing.

He would be our 2nd most experienced WR at the start of the season (while Manningham is out), and is a smart, dependable target.

Worst case:

He plays a few games, then gets hurt. But by then Manningham will be back and Collie has acted as veteran fill in during his absence.

Best case:

He's only 27. If he picks up where he left off before his injuries he could be a productive contributor for several years. And if Patton and AJ don't turn out to be good players, Collie could end up being our #2 WR playing opposite Crabtree.

Now, I think something more in the middle is the most likely. But we DO have room for another vet WR. I could easily our WR group starting the season as:

Boldin
Collie
Williams
Jenkins
Patton
Osgood (also KR/PR)

And then having Manningham bump the least productive of that group when he comes back (most likely Osgood), leaving us with something like:

Boldin
Manningham
Williams
Collie
Jenkins
Patton

Really not sure what's not to like about that....
[ Edited by sspiker on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM ]
he is young, was a good reliable target for manning in Indie, and has been cleared to play. I don't see why not. I would say give him a incentive laden contract for how many games he plays
one hit away from being a vegetable

dat Collieflower + velveeta

#nom
Major injury risk but could be worth the risk. Solid player but I've never been sure how good he really is. Was it mostly peyton & the system? Gonzalez was looking just as good as collie before all his injuries
Dont know if we pick him up, but I hope the kid catches on somewhere. Had a promising career going until the head injuries started piling up. Tough luck
Originally posted by FL9er:
I can imagine him getting t-boned by Kam Chancellor or one of the Rams/Cards safeties on a crossing route.

Isn't he a vegetable by now?

smh
Originally posted by daragon:
Who's job would this guy take? Honestly, who on our team is he better then today? I think it's just us doing our homework, in case we need a WR later this season.

Probably mostly this.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by daragon:

Probably mostly this.
Well, nobody in the zone knows how good he is now.

But the last time he played football, he was better than every healthy WR we have not named Boldin.

I understand wanting to give Jenkins and Patton a shot. But we don't need to pass on a vet to insure that Lockette, Moore and Hall get opportunities.

If the med staff think he's okay, and the coaches think his ability hasn't suffered as a result of the injuries, then I think he's well worth a signing for a team that's looking at starting a 2nd year player (Jenkins) who did nothing in his first year to warrant playing time.