There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WR Austin Collie

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And yet its amazing, the people who do this for a living, actual experts, worked out both players and decided that Collie was the better option. Maybe because apart from one very good year with Dallas, Robinson has never been anything to write home about and Collie has always been a solid, clutch performer when healthy.

I agree. I think Collie is a much better player than Robinson. We even signed Lavelle Hawkins over Robinson. That says a lot. Robinson had one good year, but inconsistency and injuries have always plagued him.
its a good signing this Collie guy. If he can avoid concussions, he'll do a solid job of getting open and catching the ball. He's not a bad player. I like this.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by wailers15:
I'd rather trade for Cooper hell he might get cut which would be fine. He's a big body type. might fit our offense.

I will fight every cracka in here if that happens.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good job by the coaches and front office in moving quickly on this front. we had three guys we were looking at and we signed two of them. i really did not care who they signed as all are about cut from the same cloth in regards to some injury historys and a average or below average nfl resume, But at least they were better than a guy off a taxi squad and lord knows we needed the help. if nothing else it will give boldin a break and give some more competition to hall and moore. I know many are in the grassy knoll on what these signings actually "mean", whether or not the coaches have confidence in the current crop or whether they are worried about jenkins really does not mean much to me. we all have our opinions on the current group of niner wide outs. I do assume jenkins and kyle at least can start to practice this week and jenkins esp really needs to play thursday in my opinion. and again for the millionth time,,THANK GOD we did not back up the truck and pay some free agent like revis a s**t load of money,, man you really gotta save your surplus for emergencies like this
Originally posted by northbaypete:
Hopefully they'll just forget about who was drafted where, and keep the best ones. I am ecstatic about Collie. I was worried he'd sign somewhere before Baalke got around to it. Sure, he's an injury risk, but who among our WRs is not? I don't know what to think about Hawkins, but they all get purtier when they put on a 49er jersey

Collie is a good pick up but is another guy to worry about...if they have enough of these guys perhaps they can take turns being injured and still suit up really good WRs every week. The young guys may take a while to develop and that presents a problem given the roster limitations. I hope they can add something on STs so the spot isn't just a place holder for the future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
It has nothing to do with Jenkins, except that he's hurt, along with every other receiver on the team not named Boldin, Hall, & Moore.

and boldin needs a break as he is on the wrong side of 30. this however should serve as a kick in the pants to jenkins and the two rookies to get healed up and on the field, kyle is not in that mix as we know his hard working ethic track record. this will also give hall and moore some much needed competition since they are not getting it from the guys who are hurt
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Don't like the signing. But he's on our team now and I'm rooting for him to do good. Plus, in HarBaalk I trust.

Anyone you would have preferred instead?

Waiting on Riley Cooper to get released.

not sure if we could wait much longer when you are down to three healthy guys and we have not even played a game yet. it is also a glowing testimony to how the niners feel about miss lloyd we needed some guys, they got two guys who do have nfl experience , good job in my opinion
I like this signing. He should wear that Kazoo type helmet like OT Steve Wallace used to wear back in the day to handle his concussions. If he stays healthy, he will be a huge pickup for this team Im telling you!
Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
lame. i want robinson

And yet its amazing, the people who do this for a living, actual experts, worked out both players and decided that Collie was the better option. Maybe because apart from one very good year with Dallas, Robinson has never been anything to write home about and Collie has always been a solid, clutch performer when healthy.

This, though I find it funny you used the word "clutch" to describe a white wide receiver.

White wideouts are always "clutch," "gritty," "blue-collar," etc.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I like this signing. He should wear that Kazoo type helmet like OT Steve Wallace used to wear back in the day to handle his concussions. If he stays healthy, he will be a huge pickup for this team Im telling you!
at the very very least it give boldin a break and buys us some time as our guys get healed up. i have a feeling if even one of these new guys we signed has some really really good practices or plays well in the first game,,, the guys who are hurt will get better in a hurry! or at least they should
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we had to cut a punter to make room,, shoot, hope lee does not get hurt in pre season or maybe they can go for it on fourth down all the time
Originally posted by cciowa:
good job by the coaches and front office in moving quickly on this front. we had three guys we were looking at and we signed two of them. i really did not care who they signed as all are about cut from the same cloth in regards to some injury historys and a average or below average nfl resume, But at least they were better than a guy off a taxi squad and lord knows we needed the help. if nothing else it will give boldin a break and give some more competition to hall and moore. I know many are in the grassy knoll on what these signings actually "mean", whether or not the coaches have confidence in the current crop or whether they are worried about jenkins really does not mean much to me. we all have our opinions on the current group of niner wide outs. I do assume jenkins and kyle at least can start to practice this week and jenkins esp really needs to play thursday in my opinion. and again for the millionth time,,THANK GOD we did not back up the truck and pay some free agent like revis a s**t load of money,, man you really gotta save your surplus for emergencies like this

If he's healthy, and that's a relatively big if, I think 49ers fans are going to absolutely love Collie. One of my old Army buddies is huge Colts fan, going well back to the pre-Manning era and he sent me a long text, saying how excited he was that Collie would get a chance to show off his skills, that he's got glue-like hands that will catch every pass thrown his way and he knows very well how to improvise and get open, no matter what the defense does.
Baalke is in full panic mode at WR after he failed to properly address the position in free agency. The next panic move will be at FS if Reid doesnt look good pre-season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

If he's healthy, and that's a relatively big if, I think 49ers fans are going to absolutely love Collie. One of my old Army buddies is huge Colts fan, going well back to the pre-Manning era and he sent me a long text, saying how excited he was that Collie would get a chance to show off his skills, that he's got glue-like hands that will catch every pass thrown his way and he knows very well how to improvise and get open, no matter what the defense does.
good! it is just nice to have five healthy guys at wide out suiting up for pre season. now i think i heard the second guy we signed today, robinson, is actually a very good kick returner?? i know we are ok there with james and hunter but if the guy can multi task like that, you know he is a JH man.. Now if i was wrong about robinson being a good kick returning I am sorry
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Baalke is in full panic mode at WR after he failed to properly address the position in free agency. The next panic move will be at FS if Reid doesnt look good pre-season.

i love ya susweet but people think I jump the gun!! you could also say he could be in full panic mode at wr because he knows jenkins will be cut in a week I am just glad they acted quick and as you know we needed some guys at wide out whose names were not miss lloyd or your boy moss .. sus tried to tell me about moss but i did not listen