LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

Seattle's Bruce Irvin suspended

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Not really. Their cheating has many people thinking they're a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

I'm sorry, but this is too many instances of PED use from one team in such a short span. Imagine how many Seahawk players are using and just haven't been caught yet.

Don't be surprised when they take a nose-dive and become an 8-8 team again when they have to stop using PEDs because the league is monitoring them.

Doesn't the League monitor every team?

out of all the ped's bust on this team, only one starter was suspended, coulda/shoulda been two.

Brandon Browner - missed 4 games, we still managed win all four games he missed
Richard Sherman - overturned ( that would've hurt)
John Moffit - back up - probably doesn't make the team this year anyways
Winston guy - 3rd string safety
Brian Maxwell - 3rd string corner
Bruce Irvin - back up, situational DE

So it's not like our starters are the ones getting busted for this stupidity, So to say we're going to become an 8-8 team again because the league is going to crack down on us is crazy.. the situation is not good make no bones about that.. but it's not quite the disaster as some seem to think it is...
Some thoughts from Holmgren on the matter. . .

Mike Holmgren had something to say about Bruce Irvin and Adderall on his weekly visit with Mitch Monday morning.

He said the players know what they are getting themselves into when they take PEDs banned by the NFL, but they are willing to "roll the dice." Holmgren said his daughter, who is a doctor, told him signs of Adderall leave the body in a week. Players are therefore able to take the stimulant with only some risk of being suspended.

Holmgren said he dealt with a similar situation in Cleveland with a player he didn't identify. The player said he had taken Adderall, but told Holmgren he didn't know it was a banned substance. Holmgren said that's what all players have told him after being found to have taken a banned substance.

"It doesn't matter if you don't know. Ignorance is not an excuse," Holmgren said. "They do it because they think they're not going to get caught and they like the feeling."
Mitch then asked Holmgren how a coach is to deal with a suspended player like Irvin. Holmgren said he couldn't fine the player any money, but he could "Scare the heck out of him," by giving him a kind of ultimatum.

"If he does it again … If he doesn't care about me, if he doesn't care about his teammates, I don't want [him] here," Holmgren said.

Mitch pointed out Carroll is a player's coach, and questioned if such a mentality can be detrimental to a team. But Holmgren said trust is important in a player-coach relationship.

"When they get farther from arm's length from you, all you can do is educate them the best way you can, and then pray for them," he said. "Because they're going to be out there and they're eventually going to have to make choices themselves."

Read more: http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/Mitch_in_the_Morning.html?article=11303596#ixzz2TwaHA9PF
Most of us here are of the opinion:

Dumb-*sses, with such a lucrative and fun way to make a living, they go and make stupid decisions like these.

But I would be lying if I said that when I was 20-22 years old, I didn't make bad decisions, and looked for ways to cover them up as opposed to stop the behavior. Now, I in no way excuse this behavior, but I at least can understand the mistakes.

That being said, if my teammates had been caught doing it, and I still continued to play with fire, then there is no excuse. You either don't have confidence in your own ability to do it without PEDs or you don't care about the consequences it places on yourself and your teammates. And you are just a selfish *sshole.
Originally posted by hawker84:
Doesn't the League monitor every team?

out of all the ped's bust on this team, only one starter was suspended, coulda/shoulda been two.

Brandon Browner - missed 4 games, we still managed win all four games he missed
Richard Sherman - overturned ( that would've hurt)
John Moffit - back up - probably doesn't make the team this year anyways
Winston guy - 3rd string safety
Brian Maxwell - 3rd string corner
Bruce Irvin - back up, situational DE

So it's not like our starters are the ones getting busted for this stupidity, So to say we're going to become an 8-8 team again because the league is going to crack down on us is crazy.. the situation is not good make no bones about that.. but it's not quite the disaster as some seem to think it is...

Agreed hawker84. And thanks to Lisa12 for the Holmgren article as well...you two aren't sugar-coating anything (or justifying it b/c it's your team). I'm sure, more than anything, you are embarrassed as it reflects your fan base. While I don't envision any of these suspensions truly hurting your teams performance on the field, my issue remains mostly with the NFL in these matters...for this very reason!

We all know the history of Pete and his "father figure" approach to this and deluding the issue beyond his own locker room. Beyond that, when you have a clear culture of PED use (if it's even this "minor") and a drug that dissipates after just a week, why is the NFL not regularly targeting an entire team on a weekly basis? Why are the SeaHawks themselves not instituting an internal drug screening process when there is a clear culture of drug use. Why? B/c the punishment does not fit the crime. For a team leading the NFL in PED offenses, not a single incident has "hurt the team."

Both Sherman and Browner were busted at the same time late in the season (when it mattered) but Sherman appealed his allowing them only to lose one CB and then he won the appeal on a technicality just in time for the playoffs. If your top two defenders are caught, why weren't all players tested at this time? Instead, Irvin is tested in the off season but given the Hawks acquired Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett in FA, perhaps it's fair to conclude they knew about this a while ago...maybe even later last season?

So again, there was no harm to the team in any fashion for 3 of their top defensive players. And is there really a risk for players save for a blip on the NFL Network ticker and a 4 game suspension at most? It's worth it if you're roided up and gained 20 pounds of muscle and have already acquired the accolades to go along with it.

Now we'll see what the NFL does...will they fine the team as they should (does that REALLY hurt the team)? Test all players on a weekly basis for a full season? My guess is they'll do nothing and we'll forget about this all after the 4th game of the season.

I'll concede I do not know if the collective bargaining agreement prohibits the NFL from regular testing upon suspicion (even if a culture exists with one team and there are other reasons of suspicion e.g. Pete's history) so I will plead ignorance in this case b/c this is a topic nobody is talking about...I haven't seen any details. We know this is a huge ordeal outside of the NFL (Armstrong, Congress, Olympics, etc.) but with the NFL it still seems more "hush, hush."
[ Edited by NCommand on May 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM ]
So I take it everyone here is still believing it's actually "Adderall" and not a more damning PED?
[ Edited by mattster03 on May 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
So I take it everyone here is still believing it's actually "Adderall" and not a more damning PED?

It could be. Adderall boosts concentration and slows mental fatigue so it's easy to see the advantage it'd provide a player (especially on defense). I guess it's become more popular now because it ridiculously easy to get and doesn't linger in the body long (compared to other drugs/PED's).
Originally posted by mattster03:

Oh hell no! Dick Sherman is as big as a a LB and has more roid-rage on the field than a strongest-man contest!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
where can i get some of these peds? k,thx,bye
"It's a very important opportunity, in a sense, for us to try and figure it out and to help these guys so they can get what they deserve," Carroll said

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/100357/clarity-on-potential-ped-fine-for-seahawks

Bruce Irvin's four-game suspension from the Seahawks brings to five the number of Seattle players suspended since 2010 for using substances banned by the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances. However, Irvin is the only Seattle player facing a suspension for the 2013 season. None of the suspensions served in previous seasons counts toward the total moving forward.

That means the Seahawks are not facing a fine at present.

Did they incur any fines in the past?

"We do not disclose that information," Aiello said via email Tuesday.

If I were unlucky enough to be a hawks fan, I would be upset and angry that the coach of my team is doing this to the franchise. The owner should hold the coach responsible for allowing (maybe even promoting) an atmosphere of cheating. It casts a miasma over the team that would make me seriously consider not following them any longer. If I were a shehawk fan, I would demand accountability from the owners. No matter how long your team has been completely irrelevant, cheating is not the answer.
I ammm not a crook!

The kickboxer from Tekken?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh hell no! Dick Sherman is as big as a a LB and has more roid-rage on the field than a strongest-man contest!

He's 6'3" 195lbs, how is that as big as a linebacker, he's skinny as hell, and is the least physical of the four

Thomas - 5'11" 205lbs
Chancellor - 6'3" 230lbs
Browner - 6'4" 225lbs

So you think out of these four Shermans the one roiding?
[ Edited by hawker84 on May 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM ]
I personally think it was something besides Adderall... Why would he be taking that in the off season.. It promotes concentration and focus, why would he need that in the off season..

He either got busted last season and it's just now coming out, or he took something else, and with the privacy act the league has it's just assumed to be adderall.
Share 49ersWebzone