There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you think Lynch will be convicted for DUI and receive suspension?

Do you think Lynch will be convicted for DUI and receive suspension?

Originally posted by baltien:
A whole week means much less once you factor in travel time, and little thing called practice. Not to mention trying to tweak the scheme on the fly because of injuries. You make it sound as if the 49ers hit the beach after leaving new New England.

Also (and no disrespect), losing our pest d-lineman hurts our defense way more than the 'Hawks losing theirs does. There's a reason why he makes the Pro Bowl every year at two different positions. And don't forget that our best pass rusher (Aldon Smith) who was on a roll with getting after the QB was playing gimped.

Don't get me wrong, a loss is a loss is a loss. Still, I feel like fate essentially dealt you guys spades that day. San Fran had a lot go wrong during the week, and I seriously doubt any other team would have fared much better given the circumstances.

Everything just went wrong in that game, the Hags played great, the Niners didn't and the other stuff like the blocked kick and the injuries compounded it. Offense couldn't do crap and they weren't on the field for 92 plays in the NE game. They flat out stunk. Gore almost loses a fumble, Kaep throws a late pick on top of having problems with the clock and changing the play.

It isn't like the Hags haven't run on our defense before. It seems to me that they have had some success on the ground in the last three games, the difference in the December game was Wilson and the passing game. Those WR's were catching everything, dragging feet and knees to stay inbounds, Baldwin recovering a dropped pass in the rain while falling down. Yikes... That Baldwin guy gives me total fits. I honestly believe the Hags would have won that game regardless if both teams were healthy and all that, but it would have been a lot closer.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
Everything just went wrong in that game, the Hags played great, the Niners didn't and the other stuff like the blocked kick and the injuries compounded it. Offense couldn't do crap and they weren't on the field for 92 plays in the NE game. They flat out stunk. Gore almost loses a fumble, Kaep throws a late pick on top of having problems with the clock and changing the play.

It isn't like the Hags haven't run on our defense before. It seems to me that they have had some success on the ground in the last three games, the difference in the December game was Wilson and the passing game. Those WR's were catching everything, dragging feet and knees to stay inbounds, Baldwin recovering a dropped pass in the rain while falling down. Yikes... That Baldwin guy gives me total fits. I honestly believe the Hags would have won that game regardless if both teams were healthy and all that, but it would have been a lot closer.

Hawks played lights out and Frisco was sleeping at the wheel. That field goal return really summarized the entire game in my eyes. I'm not a religious man and I don't believe in fate but I just don't think the Niners were meant to win that game. Everything went right for the Hawks and nothing for the Niners. Happens. I look at the Hawks a much differently after that game but I'm hoping we bring it Week 2.
Even the very first offensive play for the Niners was a debacle. Go back and look at it. The Niner receiver is just getting mugged. The Seahawk DB almost pulls him down as the pass is in the air. Seahawks DB plays that play fairly and that's a long TD pass to start the game for the Niners. But of course, refs didn't call anything. Nothing went right for the Niners that night. Those kinds of games just don't happen all that often to a good team. I would compare that game to the butt-kicking the Eagles laid on the Niners during the 94 season when Young was yanked out of the game. What was it? 40-3 or something like that.
Originally posted by hawker84:
Browner was a pro-bowler in 2011. you can't tell me losing an all pro CB isn't as tough as an allpro D lineman.. i beg to differ.. we were also without Jason Jones, our best interior D lineman.. our pass rush was pretty much non existent when he went down.. i'd say those losses were every bit as detrimental to our team as J Smith was to yours...

As far as Aldon, he loss productivity when J smith went down.. He may have been gimped up , as a lot of players are at the end of a tough season, but i don't think that contributed to his lack of production to the degree you're referring.

Aldon had a torn labrum. He was essentially playing with one arm. And for the record, Jason Jones isn't even in the same discussion as Justin Smith. The dropoff from him to Ricky Jean Francois was FAR steeper than going from Jones to whoever backs him up. It's not even close.

On that note, ask any defensive coordinator in the league which they'd rather lose, a credible pass rush, or a good corner?

It's very much possible to get by with average CB's if you can pressure on the opposing QB. But not even two Richard Sherman's will help you (well, maybe a little) if you can't get any push up front.

Just the way it works.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Hawks played lights out and Frisco was sleeping at the wheel. That field goal return really summarized the entire game in my eyes. I'm not a religious man and I don't believe in fate but I just don't think the Niners were meant to win that game. Everything went right for the Hawks and nothing for the Niners. Happens. I look at the Hawks a much differently after that game but I'm hoping we bring it Week 2.

Exactly how I feel. I really think that anyone would have beat us going into that game. We were just so out of it and it was evident from the first snap. But, it's a new day and new season.

Bring on week two.
I'm hoping that Seahawks players and fans think that's the way it's always going to go up there, but I'm guessing most of the players actually realize that's not how it works. The fans? I don't know. Most of the Seahawks fans seem to be naturally assuming a win and a good percentage seem to expect the same kind of butt-kicking. It will be sweet if the Niners can go up there and shock them out of their stupor.
Aldon had a torn labrum. He was essentially playing with one arm. And for the record, Jason Jones isn't even in the same discussion as Justin Smith. The dropoff from him to Ricky Jean Francois was FAR steeper than going from Jones to whoever backs him up. It's not even close.

On that note, ask any defensive coordinator in the league which they'd rather lose, a credible pass rush, or a good corner?

It's very much possible to get by with average CB's if you can pressure on the opposing QB. But not even two Richard Sherman's will help you (well, maybe a little) if you can't get any push up front.

Just the way it works.
i don't know why you always try to take my comments out of context..i think you just like to argue with me..

i didn't say Jason Jones was as good as JS... I said he's every bit as important to our pass rush as JS is to yours.. and that's evident by the dramatic reduction in sacks after he went down...

I don't know about your D coordinator, but i'd rather have a D lineman go down then my pro bowl corner.. that's just me.. i'd rather have Clemons go down than Sherman any day of the week.

But we lost both for that game, our best interior lineman and our starting corner.. among others.. Red Bryant was playing on on foot.. Miller was playing on one foot.. i could go on.

So i'm sorry but i'm not buying the we had key injury excuse, it's the end of the season, every team is dealing with injuries at that point, that's why you draft and go after FA's , for depth, and that was admittingly your guy's weak spot last season..
i don't know why you always try to take my comments out of context..i think you just like to argue with me..

i didn't say Jason Jones was as good as JS... I said he's every bit as important to our pass rush as JS is to yours.. and that's evident by the dramatic reduction in sacks after he went down...

I don't know about your D coordinator, but i'd rather have a D lineman go down then my pro bowl corner.. that's just me.. i'd rather have Clemons go down than Sherman any day of the week.

But we lost both for that game, our best interior lineman and our starting corner.. among others.. Red Bryant was playing on on foot.. Miller was playing on one foot.. i could go on.

So i'm sorry but i'm not buying the we had key injury excuse, it's the end of the season, every team is dealing with injuries at that point, that's why you draft and go after FA's , for depth, and that was admittingly your guy's weak spot last season..

Eh, I didn't say you said anything.

I was just trying to illustrate what I thought to be common sense. That is, losing two guys that are probably top three at their respective positions is going to have a major effect on the rest of the defense.

Conversely, losing a guy (or two) who's around the middle of the pack at his position may be an inconvenience, but it's not as big of a deal. So yea, I'd fully expect you to pick Sherman over losing one of your d-lineman because, well, none of them are exactly elite so their absence doesn't hurt as much.

I admit that depth was an issue last season but despite that we overcame and made it to the big dance. The depth issues have since been addressed so I don't expect we'll have those same kind of problems come next January.

Just the way it works.

Clemons was more important to your team then Sherman is. You can just attack a different part of the field. Or if you have an good enough WR, he can be beat.

Earl Thomas would be the biggest loss on your team. He makes your corners that much better, as does Clemons pass rush ability.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM ]

Just the way it works.

you didn't say that in so many words..? why would you bring that up then if it wasn't implied?

and i wouldn't call an pro bowl corner middle of the road, Jason Jones is one of the best interior d lineman in the league certainly not middle of the road either..

and we had no pass rush towards the end of the season when he went down, and certainly didn't have one after the redskin game when clemons went down, and our corners still shut recievers down..
[ Edited by hawker84 on May 28, 2013 at 3:10 PM ]
you didn't say that in so many words..? why would you bring that up then if it wasn't implied?

and i wouldn't call an pro bowl corner middle of the road, Jason Jones is one of the best interior d lineman in the league certainly not middle of the road either..

and we had no pass rush towards the end of the season when he went down, and certainly didn't have one after the redskin game when clemons went down, and our corners still shut recievers down..

Jason Jones is not one of the best interior defensive linemen in the league

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11288/jason-jones
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Clemons was more important to your team then Sherman is. You can just attack a different part of the field. Or if you have an good enough WR, he can be beat.

Earl Thomas would be the biggest loss on your team. He makes your corners that much better, as does Clemons pass rush ability.

incorrect we won without clemons, and almost beat ATL without him.. we don't do that without sherman... Thomas is a beast but sherman would be the biggest loss to our defense.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Jason Jones is not one of the best interior defensive linemen in the league

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11288/jason-jones

you're going by stats, and i understand that. he has played injured most of his career, missing several games throughout his career... A fully healthy J Jones is one of the best defensive tackles in the game... true his numbers don't show it... Carpenter could be one of the most dominent Guards in the league, but you'd never know it because he can't stay healthy and on the field. Same with Walter Thurmond III, probably our second best corner, but you'll never know that either, can't stay on the field.
[ Edited by hawker84 on May 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM ]

Just the way it works.

1) If that's what you took from my post, then you seriously did not read it.

2) Seattle's corners didn't do bad in the playoffs, but "shut down" is a stretch.

Sure, you guys Matt Ryan sweat but he and his receivers made more than enough plays to win (and that's why they did). This game alone should be all the proof you need that a good pass rush is more important than a top-flight corner.

A healthy (non-average) body on the d-line could have made all the difference for you guys.
[ Edited by baltien on May 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

incorrect we won without clemons, and almost beat ATL without him.. we don't do that without sherman... Thomas is a beast but sherman would be the biggest loss to our defense.

disagree.

Thomas is better and a pass rusher is more important then good CB.

And you beat Wash with Clemons and lost without him in ATL. Clemons was out in the third after the game was over when RGIII was hurt. You couldn't beat ATL cuz the pass rush sucked, especially on that last drive. lol
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]