There are 221 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
What strikes me about Okoye is his commitment. Here's someone that's been accepted to Cambridge or Oxford (forgot which one) and he he forgoes those plans to be an American Football Player starting from square one. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he becomes a Star.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Okoye has superior athleticism. When/if his football knowledge, technique and experience catches up to that freak-of-nature body he will be scary.

I think - from a potential ceiling point of view- in my opinion, if he ever goes as far as his full potential, he can be a Tony cassillas or a Randy white. Randy and too tall Jones (Okoye and aldon) maybe they could be like mark gastineu and Joe klecko. Man I am totally stoked that he's made the progress he has made.

From DeUh:
3. Lawrence Okoye - @grantcohn Lawrence Okoye. Pushed Al Netter into McLeod Bethel-Thompson, who was standing about five or six yards behind the line of scrimmage in the pocket. Netter could not hold his ground against Okoye. Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178667-2014-training-camp-thread/page53/#cmsr6T1qVY36wtmA.99

So right now he's throwing back (bull rushing) T and G's 7 yards INTO the QB. How huge is this skill for a DE in the 3-4? When Justin was at his best, he was doing that on a regular basis and Aldon was cleaning up. We haven't heard of this ability with TJE or Dobbs yet. Like Harbaugh said, Okoye will also learn counter moves to bull rushing as well but right now, that's his bread-and-butter. Next we'll have to see how he handles stuffing the run. If he can continue to push the OL back and help seal that edge (force things back inside) while also collapsing the pocket like he's doing, we have a keeper. He can learn pass rush moves with his long arms from Justin/RayMac/Aldon/Brooks.

He's going to be a fun one to watch esp. re: play recognition. It seems like he's getting better and better...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:00 AM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
will be cut, zone will cry.

troof be told.....
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
From DeUh:
3. Lawrence Okoye - @grantcohn Lawrence Okoye. Pushed Al Netter into McLeod Bethel-Thompson, who was standing about five or six yards behind the line of scrimmage in the pocket. Netter could not hold his ground against Okoye. Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/178667-2014-training-camp-thread/page53/#cmsr6T1qVY36wtmA.99

So right now he's throwing back (bull rushing) T and G's 7 yards INTO the QB. How huge is this skill for a DE in the 3-4? When Justin was at his best, he was doing that on a regular basis and Aldon was cleaning up. We haven't heard of this ability with TJE or Dobbs yet. Like Harbaugh said, Okoye will also learn counter moves to bull rushing as well but right now, that's his bread-and-butter. Next we'll have to see how he handles stuffing the run. If he can continue to push the OL back and help seal that edge (force things back inside) while also collapsing the pocket like he's doing, we have a keeper. He can learn pass rush moves with his long arms from Justin/RayMac/Aldon/Brooks.

He's going to be a fun one to watch esp. re: play recognition. It seems like he's getting better and better...

He doesn't want to be denied...
Originally posted by LVJay:
From DeUh:

He doesn't want to be denied...

That's the thing I like the most...this dude clearly wants this and has put in the hours and details. Now it's starting to show. Let's hope he becomes a beast for us in the near future and continues to grow and develop...make this coaching staff gringe at the thought of losing you!
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Lawrence Okoye: 'It's Been a Long, Long Journey'

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Lawrence-Okoye-Its-Been-a-Long-Long-Journey/682c5280-8742-4c52-b1d6-1ff50bec3485
Our situation with our RBs proves that even positions of perceived great depth can be tested by sudden injuries. If Okoye performs well enough this TC and pre-season though, he may not even need an injury to occur to someone else on the depth chart.
I'll give Okoye the progress he's made...I get he's a physical specimen and all. He's a nice story, but unless there's a rash of serious DL injuries, he's not making the 53-man roster. Too many much more skilled/experienced players ahead of him: my guess at the final 6 will be: J. Smith, Dorsey, Ray Mac, Carradine, TJE & Dial. Not likely they'll keep more than 6...and if the do, Dobbs is the likely keeper.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'll give Okoye the progress he's made...I get he's a physical specimen and all. He's a nice story, but unless there's a rash of serious DL injuries, he's not making the 53-man roster. Too many much more skilled/experienced players ahead of him: my guess at the final 6 will be: J. Smith, Dorsey, Ray Mac, Carradine, TJE & Dial. Not likely they'll keep more than 6...and if the do, Dobbs is the likely keeper.
we had more then 6 last year
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
That's the thing I like the most...this dude clearly wants this and has put in the hours and details. Now it's starting to show. Let's hope he becomes a beast for us in the near future and continues to grow and develop...make this coaching staff gringe at the thought of losing you!

Not to mention, but it could end up being a mistake we'd regret (might even bite us in the ass) if a rival team somehow picks him up....

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
we had more then 6 last year

And even in that scenario, neither Dobbs nor TJE have the bull rushing ability that Okoye has and Justin used to posses on every down a couple years ago. You are right in that he still has a ways to go AND TJE/Dobbs played well last year and they should be improved as well...uphill battle but how high is Okoye's ceiling compared to TJE/Dobbs? Lots of things to consider. Let the games begin!
Id easily pick Okoye over Dobbs or TJE. Both of those guys are serviceable back ups, but that's all they'll ever be. Okoye on the other hand has huuuuge upside.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Id easily pick Okoye over Dobbs or TJE. Both of those guys are serviceable back ups, but that's all they'll ever be. Okoye on the other hand has huuuuge upside.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:

Not to mention, but it could end up being a mistake we'd regret (might even bite us in the ass) if a rival team somehow picks him up....

if he does not earn it, he does not earn it. you do not give a roster spot to someone just because you are scared a rival will pick them up. besides, someone picking him up and having him hurt us is pretty far down my lists of worries. lets see what he does when the bullets start to fly against other people before we give him a roster spot ok?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

TJE had a very good year last year.

He is not going anywhere.
Share 49ersWebzone