LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by xcfan:
Any camp word on okoye? Look like a player?

here ya go

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/26/6584971/big-bang-okoye-delivers-biggest.html

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

here ya go

This guy could really turn into something in a few years
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
poor guy just has very little instincts. wish we could send him to the minor leagues for a couple years.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

here ya go

This guy could really turn into something in a few years

Raw talent but he's gonna get a ton of experience this training camp to work against the best in the game im Iupati and Staley while being mentored by Smith and Tomsula. He's going to continue to blow up the 2nd stringers though so that's a terrific sign of growth just from the small sample this time last year!
I guess the natural progression is against 2nd stringers to start, but would sure like to see how he does against first string guys.
Hopefully we get to see that soon.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I guess the natural progression is against 2nd stringers to start, but would sure like to see how he does against first string guys.

He's a smart dude...just keep giving him reps against 2nd stringers to build up his confidence and then slowly continue to work him in against Staley/Iupati like they are doing. It sounds like they are working him in just right to me
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

He's a smart dude...just keep giving him reps against 2nd stringers to build up his confidence and then slowly continue to work him in against Staley/Iupati like they are doing. It sounds like they are working him in just right to me

agree. The future is bright for our defensive line.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:

agree. The future is bright for our defensive line.

Big time!!!
It sounds like he is in a different space than last year. That's fantastic news. It sounds like there are two paths to progress -- 1v1 effectiveness, and 11v11 effectiveness. Making some strides to the former, and less progress on the latter. That's ok, right? I think for year two I'm pretty happy. I thought the biggest challenge would just be showing the motivation to play. We'll find out in 2nd or 3rd preseason game if he is ready for active roster or ps.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
If Margus Hunt (Bengals) can be competing for a starting spot as a 6'8", 291lbs defensive lineman with only 5 years of football experience (4 in college, 1 in pros). I think its pretty good progression that Okoye is already being considered for a spot as a special teams player.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
It sounds like he is in a different space than last year. That's fantastic news. It sounds like there are two paths to progress -- 1v1 effectiveness, and 11v11 effectiveness. Making some strides to the former, and less progress on the latter. That's ok, right? I think for year two I'm pretty happy. I thought the biggest challenge would just be showing the motivation to play. We'll find out in 2nd or 3rd preseason game if he is ready for active roster or ps.

That's about exactly where you want him at this stage. Destroying #2's and flashing some "serious" potential and getting schooled/educated against #1's. We have to remember that to date, b/c he hasn't been allowed to "play" it's all mental. But now, he's able to physically practice what he's learned mentally and will get closer and closer to just "playing" like any young player. When he learns to just play w/o thinking, like McDonald this year, he's going to look like a totally different player, no doubt. But this is all a great sign this early!
Not sure why Baalke is commenting on our practice pace?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

DL Lawrence Okoye had a good day of practice yesterday when pads went on. Jim Harbaugh complimented Okoye's pad level. #49ers
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

DL Lawrence Okoye had a good day of practice yesterday when pads went on. Jim Harbaugh complimented Okoye's pad level. #49ers

I don't think that Okoye will make the team, but good for him for having a good practice. Keep it up Okoye!
Originally posted by lazy:
Originally posted by Jcool:

I don't think that Okoye will make the team, but good for him for having a good practice. Keep it up Okoye!

I don't think there is any way in hell the Niners let him go to anyone else tbh. I know it's early but his progress from year 1 to 2 is impressive and as previously mentioned to this point is all mental progression for the most part. Once he's able to get the physical practice in we may be on to something.

Add in the fact that the NFL is pushing for more and more England games (3 this year) and with Okoye being a Brit he is a fantastic marketing tool for the team to spread their brand. IMO it would be a mistake for he Niners to give up on this guy this early. Why bring him in at all if you only planned on giving the guy 2 off-seasons of coaching and little opportunity to prove himself physically? At the least he could be used as a ST stud.

I think the team knew what kind of project he would be when they brought him on board and would not be wasting this young mans time knowing about the other opportunities he has declined or placed on hold to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL. I believe if they expected him to be able to make the 53 after a season and a half on almost purely mental reps when he came aboard that they wouldn't even have wasted his or their time.
Share 49ersWebzone