LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
If he can make it onto the practice squad in 2014 it shows he has a shot.

I honestly don't even expect that much. I don't have any expectations until 2015. But if he makes it to the practice squad this soon, this guy is going to be a monster.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for xcfan.
okoye should be developing at RT. his body and agility does not fit nfl d-line.
he runs a 4.8. id put him at full back.
Physically and experience wise Lawrence Okoye can be compared to Eric Swann.

If he turns to the dominant Eric Swann, the 49ers have hit paydirt.
One of the amazing things to me about the NFL is that you've got to be a physical freak to even have a chance, but being a physical freak doesn't guarantee anything. Okyoe is a great example of this. It's not just the metrics. Can he take being hit repeatedly? Does he have the mental discipline to remember what he has to do in the midst of chaos? I really hope he shocks everyone because he seems like a real smart and good guy, but I don't have my hopes up yet on this one because I still think it's a huge long-shot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It's all about his desire and thankfully that's Tomsula's specialty. I really hope he pans out, but still realize it's a long shot.

A LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot, but I'll be happy to see what he can do this offseason.

Can you explain and how do you know that? sounds like you have been observing his class work and practice!
Originally posted by ninerfan52:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's all about his desire and thankfully that's Tomsula's specialty. I really hope he pans out, but still realize it's a long shot.

A LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG shot, but I'll be happy to see what he can do this offseason.

Can you explain and how do you know that? sounds like you have been observing his class work and practice!

I can understand anyone's skepticism. You just don't see players step into football and be productive in the NFL. If you think back to Michael Carter, for example, yes he was coming off of shot putting in the Olympics, but at least there was some American football in his background. And there was Renaldo Nehemiah, who had less football experience than Carter. He wasn't as much of a bust as people seem to think he was. He wasn't what you'd call real productive, but he did provide a scary presence on the outside to defenses because of that speed and he did have a few TD catches. Plus, I think he averaged almost 20 yards a reception.
He has no pass rush moves, so the best we can hope for is that he's got the strength of a "cowboy" and can bull rush or at least hold point against a double team.
he wont even be on the PS next season. Dial will force him out
It's a long offseason, so let's rev up this thread. And for f**ks sake, can a the thread title be changed to correctly spell this man's name? He is of course a future HOFer.

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to seeing the progression and what magic, if any, Tomsula has worked.

Sorted.

Originally posted by xcfan:
okoye should be developing at RT. his body and agility does not fit nfl d-line.

Yea how could our coaching staff and GM miss this?
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am excited about this guy. I know most are meh at best, but I think he has a real chance to translate his athleticism to the NFL.

this. when you're that size and have that kind of freakish athleticism, it comes down to hard work and desire. on top of that, you don't need to be QB smart to play on the DLINE. he just needs to put in the effort (which is 90% of being an NFL player) and he could be something special.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
this. when you're that size and have that kind of freakish athleticism, it comes down to hard work and desire. on top of that, you don't need to be QB smart to play on the DLINE. he just needs to put in the effort (which is 90% of being an NFL player) and he could be something special.

Crazy thing is he can be QB smart as hr declined admission to Cambridge oxford to play football here. May be total package
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Crazy thing is he can be QB smart as hr declined admission to Cambridge oxford to play football here. May be total package

Well let's have him behind Colin w/ a clipboard and headset
he would beast as a guard. Imagine his athleticism when pulling...
Share 49ersWebzone