There are 185 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Garce
  • Veteran
where the hell is amplee, because i would like to say

I f**kING TOLD YOU SO
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They gave him a chance to try out for the NFL. There wasn't much to him football wise at this point. Maybe some team will take the time to develop him, if he has the love and dedication for the game to go through the wear on body of an NFL season. The Niners are in a SB run this season. Roster spot is at a premium. Even at practice squad. I don't think they are interested in a long term project like Okyoe.

I guarantee Okoye is with the team in some capacity through preseaon 2014 in the least. The Niners are absolutely interested in developing him and your opinion on the mater is opposite reality.
So we stashing him on the "injured" list? Smart move.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by SofaKing:
So we stashing him on the "injured" list? Smart move.

so we cut him?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
if you are on the IR you are still allowed to practice right?

no, but your "rehab" can involve all kinds of "football movements," to help you get back into playing shape. He can't practice on the same field with his teammates, so he would miss out on A LOT of important scout team experience, but he could spend a year refining technique, attending meetings, watching film and taking mental reps at practice.
It didn't seem to me that we put him on IR. Barrows was explicit about who was placed on IR.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by socalniner:
on a sprain?

no sprain. he banged his knee; like when you friend tripped you at school and you banged your knee and needed a band aid. he got an owie. mommy needs to kiss it and put him on ir.

Is that what they're saying?

When I look at the injury on TV, it looked like he hyper-extended his leg against the ground after he got blocked from the side. I'm glad its just a bruise.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM ]
Well played HarBaalke.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Well played HarBaalke.

Yessir!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
The team could have reached an injury settlement with Okoye, a newcomer to American football, and then later signed him to the practice squad. The 49ers still have one open space on the squad but probably don't need another defensive linemen. They have six on the active roster; another, Demarcus Dobbs, on the reserve/suspension list; and an eighth, rookie Mike Purcell, on the practice squad.

Okoye suffered a sprained knee in the 49ers' third preseason game. While he will not be able to practice with the 49ers this season, he can attend meetings, do classroom work, watch games from the sidelines and otherwise get an insider's education on how the NFL works -- exactly what a football neophyte requires. The 49ers are expected to sign Okoye to a contract at the end of the season, and the plan is that he'll start up again in the spring when the 49ers' offseason program begins.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/09/49ers-settle-with-divens-okoye-to-injured-reserve.html#storylink=cpy
I hope nobody signs Divens and we add him to the PS. He actually played well and has some upside and could be developed like Ian Williams was last year.
Smart. While practicing is probably the best way to get better. Mentally learning the game will help him tons for next season. Learning about NFL schemes, watching the games, learning from Fangio and Tomsula, watching film. It might frustrate him because he is not playing but it will help in the long run and if he is dedicated enough, he can be a good player in the NFL.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I hope nobody signs Divens and we add him to the PS. He actually played well and has some upside and could be developed like Ian Williams was last year.

Called it NCommand - at least with Okoye going to IR for a minor injury. I'm hopeful on bringing Divens back as well but could the fight with Brooks have really been that bad that they thought it best to give Divens a chance with a different team?
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Called it NCommand - at least with Okoye going to IR for a minor injury. I'm hopeful on bringing Divens back as well but could the fight with Brooks have really been that bad that they thought it best to give Divens a chance with a different team?

Totally...it's a brilliant strategy, no doubt. Obviously it also means Okoye is certainly committed and I love that! I'm still laughing at the Divens "injury." He's fine...I think there is a reason we have that #8 PS spot still open. Good call.
Share 49ersWebzone