LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
They're probably easing in him. He might get shell shocked if all of a sudden he plays 60 snaps and gets destroyed. Slowly give him what he can handle and build his confidence.

Agree to a degree. Yeah, 60 snaps may kill him b/c football in-game conditioning is different than just pure cardio/weights, etc. That said, he's been training pretty hard and 4 real snaps is nothing and I'd love to see if he has more than Will T. (God I hope so)! Especially with Dial/Tank on the shelf for who-knows-how-long. But we'll see how the next few games go...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ers @49ers

#49ers rookie Lawrence Okoye: "Hopefully, by this time next year, I'll be in a good spot." http://49rs.me/nPi9h
[ Edited by Jcool on Aug 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
San Francisco 49ers @49ers

#49ers rookie Lawrence Okoye: "Hopefully, by this time next year, I'll be in a good spot." http://49rs.me/nPi9h

He seems to be realistic and more importantly, committed to the 49ers.

"Next week, I'll get some more snaps and hopefully I'll get some chances to rush the passer and show everyone what I can do," said Okoye, who will also be seeking his first tackle, another milestone for a 6-foot-6, 304-pound beginner. "These small steps are appropriate for where I'm at, and I'm enjoying the whole process."
"He's 6 foot 6. I'm tall in London. He walks down the street and he's the guy. He's been accepted to Oxford Law. He puts that on hold and he comes to do this? And he's at the bottom of the totem pole? He's the very last guy (on the roster). He went from the absolute pinnacle. To me, that takes a whole lot of guts. Or there's something real wrong with him."
--49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula on British Olympian-turned-football player Lawrence Okoye
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
"He's 6 foot 6. I'm tall in London. He walks down the street and he's the guy. He's been accepted to Oxford Law. He puts that on hold and he comes to do this? And he's at the bottom of the totem pole? He's the very last guy (on the roster). He went from the absolute pinnacle. To me, that takes a whole lot of guts. Or there's something real wrong with him."
--49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula on British Olympian-turned-football player Lawrence Okoye

I love Jim!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

I love Jim!

Pretty solid quote, I liked reading it. If this guy learns football in a year i'll be pretty stoked. Guy is a monster.
This guy is taking up a roster spot for potentially a FA or one of our youngsters who can use the reps. He'll never pan out in the NFL, I seen him get blown off the ball time after time vs DENVER. forget him, release him and give some of the younger guys reps or sign a proven mid tier FA. Enough Ametuer hour
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This guy is taking up a roster spot for potentially a FA or one of our youngsters who can use the reps. He'll never pan out in the NFL, I seen him get blown off the ball time after time vs DENVER. forget him, release him and give some of the younger guys reps or sign a proven mid tier FA. Enough Ametuer hour

Time after time???? The kid played 4 snaps. shut up. smh
Originally posted by BMoore56:

You SU!! Kid?? He's never played Football before and this is the NFL, why start now? There's no way he'll make this team or any other NFL team. He got handled by 3rd string Bronco tackles and Guards, I mean pushed back 5 yards lol that's not good. release him and sign a capable FA
You SU!! Kid?? He's never played Football before and this is the NFL, why start now? There's no way he'll make this team or any other NFL team. He got handled by 3rd string Bronco tackles and Guards, I mean pushed back 5 yards lol that's not good. release him and sign a capable FA

Originally posted by BMoore56:

Everyone needs to settle down here...we're talking about a practice squad guy with potential to make the team down the road in hopefully a year. Just because he hasn't played football doesn't mean he can't do it but it'll take time and may not pan out. I'm fine with that. The guy has the body and apparently the interest to play so give him a shot and let the chips fall where they may which is likely the practice squad for now.

A capable FA is going to take up alot more cap space then this guy, and I dont see why this guy shouldnt be allowed to try. Hes not taking a final roster spot, its still the pre season, theres no reason to go and make drastic assumptions. When he got pushed back 5 yards he was also doubled and hadnt dealt with that in real game time. If you watch the play a few plays later when Skuta got the sack, he made a convincing move to the inside the ot followed to stop him and Skuta had an open lane to get the QB, he may not be great or experienced but hes learning pretty well.

What capable fa is out there who is capable of cracking the final 53?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
this dude is not going to make the team.

he knows it.

he will be on the practice squad. no team is going to claim a dude that has never learned how to tackle. this seems like the plan all along.

He will learn and hopefully next year he is light years along and ready to make the team. He has all the physical tools.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:

he knows it.

he will be on the practice squad. no team is going to claim a dude that has never learned how to tackle. this seems like the plan all along.

He will learn and hopefully next year he is light years along and ready to make the team. He has all the physical tools.

i had my hopes up, but i think you're right.
Originally posted by Garcia:

he knows it.

Share 49ersWebzone