LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by random49er:
You have to look at the 53rd guy on some of the worst teams. That spot's value is very different than our 53rd. Don't be so sure.

Agreed! And why give him all of this extra, added coaching...invest so much time in him when you then just risk handing him over to another team? He either makes the 53 (may or may not be "active") or he doesn't make the team at all IMHO.
Thats the risk they make every year when they cut down to the 53 and set their PS. The claiming team has to put a guy with a few months of NFL experience on their 53 man roster and he has to learn a new playbook, Unless Okoye absolutely dominates in preseason I dont think we are gonna have to worry about another team picking him up, also who says that Okoye would even accept the other teams request? We had guys last year on our PS decline other teams requests to be added to their 53 man.

If he's cut, he must be subject to waivers before he can be signed to the PS. He can not deny a waiver claim. Once he is signed to the PS, he can deny an offer to join any team's active roster to stay here.

(pretty much what the post 6 spots bove yours already said )

agree to disagree
You have to look at the 53rd guy on some of the worst teams. That spot's value is very different than our 53rd. Don't be so sure.

Agreed! And why give him all of this extra, added coaching...invest so much time in him when you then just risk handing him over to another team? He either makes the 53 (may or may not be "active") or he doesn't make the team at all IMHO.
Thats the risk they make every year when they cut down to the 53 and set their PS. The claiming team has to put a guy with a few months of NFL experience on their 53 man roster and he has to learn a new playbook, Unless Okoye absolutely dominates in preseason I dont think we are gonna have to worry about another team picking him up, also who says that Okoye would even accept the other teams request? We had guys last year on our PS decline other teams requests to be added to their 53 man.

If he's cut, he must be subject to waivers before he can be signed to the PS. He can not deny a waiver claim. Once he is signed to the PS, he can deny an offer to join any team's active roster to stay here.

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

on your interpretation of the rule

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

when in rome
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Fangio: Okoye making strides, relative to having never played. Will try to get him in Thursday
Originally posted by Jcool:
Niners Nation ‏@NinersNation

Fangio: Okoye making strides, relative to having never played. Will try to get him in Thursday

Ill be very interested to see him play...

agree to disagree

Disagree about what?

on your interpretation of the rule

Which rule?

That a player has to clear waivers before he can be signed to the practice squad?

Or something else?

I presume you know how waivers work? You couldn't mean that a player can refuse to go to the team that claims him off waivers? Although it does seem like you may be meaning that.
  • thl408
First play, I'd like to just see him power bull rush an OT as a barometer of where he measures up.
Which rule?

That a player has to clear waivers before he can be signed to the practice squad?

Or something else?

I presume you know how waivers work? You couldn't mean that a player can refuse to go to the team that claims him off waivers? Although it does seem like you may be meaning that.

I'm sorry, can you explain the point of rule that you are discussing? If we do not put Okoye on our roster when we go to 53 at end of preseason, do other teams have an opportunity to offer him a contract? Or is he exposed only if he goes from our 45 to practice squad? In other words we put him on the roster first.

If there is a link could you provide? Thx.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I'm sorry, can you explain the point of rule that you are discussing? If we do not put Okoye on our roster when we go to 53 at end of preseason, do other teams have an opportunity to offer him a contract? Or is he exposed only if he goes from our 45 to practice squad? In other words we put him on the roster first.

If we put Okoye on the PS, he has to clear waivers, the rule is whoever picks him up on waivers has to have him on the 53 man roster, like we did with Tolzien from San Diego.

I seriously doubt anyone would claim Okoye because he wont be ready for even a special teams role.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Which rule?

Or something else?

I'm not sure . . . but I think Valrod may know. I believe that he may be suggesting that because Okoye was signed as an undrafted free agent rather than as a drafted player, he may be treated differently when it comes to waiver rules. I don't think so in Okoye's case, he gets the same treatment that Tolzien (also an UDFA) received.

Waiver rules are n/a in the case of certain "vested" veterans.

Not sure. But I don't care enough to look it up.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Aug 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
get ready for all the penalties
Wouldn't FB/TE/H-Back be a better position for a rugby convert? I mean, blocking and catching check down passes is way easier than pass rushing. There are lots of very good NFL D-linemen that aren't effective pass rushers (see: Dorsey, Glenn).
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Wouldn't FB/TE/H-Back be a better position for a rugby convert? I mean, blocking and catching check down passes is way easier than pass rushing. There are lots of very good NFL D-linemen that aren't effective pass rushers (see: Dorsey, Glenn).

From a mental standpoint d-line is as easy as it gets... Which will allow him to develop his understanding of the game. Plus, D-end is the most suitable for his size.
Share 49ersWebzone