LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Coach H mentioned Okoye's long arms and how he "locked up" with OL better. I am assuming that means his long arms allow him to lock up and then do a swim move, or some such...and then is able to get by the OL. Is that about correct? Or not?

I take it to mean, "his long arms allow him to hold his position, and not get put on his ass". That is the first thing they teach in football when dealing with a blocker.
You have to use your arms to avoid getting shoved to the ground. That's step one. Once you are not getting put on your ass, then you can develop moves to escape the blocker and make a play, etc. Okoye is a long way from any of that.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Cohn Jr has his favorites and reports its like that. Any decisions the 49ers make that he doesn't like (eg AJ Jenkins) he skews to make them look bad and to make himself feel better. He is a poor journalist.

^^ No Doubt!
I just hope he makes it through waivers if he goes to PS. One good thing about Okoye is he honestly has all the tools to make a go of it. He doesn't have any bad habits formed from past experience since it's all new to him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
They are both saying pretty much the same thing, just different levels of detail. It is agreed that Okoye is not very good right NOW. One is more positive than the other about it (and more detailed), but what Okoye is doing on the field is not in disagreement.

Cohn is actually a little bit like Okoye. He might not be good, but he isn't embarrassingly bad either.

I disagree. Cohn might not be off base in every article he writes, but overall he is embarrassingly bad.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The point I was trying to make was Okoye's a big longshot to make the team...possibly even the PS. Who's he going to beat out?

He'll make the PS without a doubt imo. The Niners knew he was going to be a project and I don't think they'd have gotten involved unless they intended to make that time investment.

Okoye is an undrafted FA. Almost all UFA are projects and they all require time investment.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
They are both saying pretty much the same thing, just different levels of detail. It is agreed that Okoye is not very good right NOW. One is more positive than the other about it (and more detailed), but what Okoye is doing on the field is not in disagreement.

Cohn is actually a little bit like Okoye. He might not be good, but he isn't embarrassingly bad either.

I disagree. Cohn might not be off base in every article he writes, but overall he is embarrassingly bad.

Both Cohn's are better writers than sports writers. It's almost as if they think writing sports columns is beneath them so they often take liberties...tweaking readers and players just for the heck of it. Senior has written some excellent articles...years ago...about sport and social philosophy, but they are rare these days. Not sure Junior has ever written anything truly worthwhile.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
any word on tuesday's practice for okoye?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@natrone06

Thanks. Yeah, I respect Barrows and Maicco analysis a LOT more than Cohen's. I'm not sure about Cohen. As long-time Chronicle readers will probably remember, Lowell Cohen is kind of old school in that he often writes pieces that tend to provoke responses because in the old days, that would increase readership of the paper. So Lowell sometimes verges on the absurd. You have to wonder if some of that rubs off on junior. And, let's face it - brazen nepotism is just annoying. Would Grant Cohen be where he is if his Dad wasn't Lowell Cohen? Please.

Cohn Jr has his favorites and reports its like that. Any decisions the 49ers make that he doesn't like (eg AJ Jenkins) he skews to make them look bad and to make himself feel better. He is a poor journalist.

• xcfan
  • Veteran
another guy doing what okoye's doing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130730/daniel-adongo-african-rugby-nfl.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

[ Edited by xcfan on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
he will be on the practice squad for sure because if any team picks him up he will have to take a spot on their 53 man roster.

plus okoye has been promised teaching so I doubt he would want to go anywhere but here.

• buck
  • Veteran
He has lasted longer than some predicted.

I am looking forward to seeing him play in a preseason game.

me too, me too... I'm rooting for him for sure, if he can figure it out, it would be great... There's just so much physical potential!
  • Garce
  • Veteran

i dont know why people dont like preseason, its awesome you get to see what the backups can do in a game, cant wait.
Originally posted by Garcia:

i dont know why people dont like preseason, its awesome you get to see what the backups can do in a game, cant wait.

Preseason is awesome because we've been looking soooo forward to the season that it's really the first legit football we get to see. And to the experienced eye, you can really see a lot. The score, however, is about the least important thing in preseason.
  • thl408
Yeah preseason is all about the one on one battles all over the field. The schemes are vanilla so there's absolutely no reason to put stock in team play, save for the 1st half of the final tune up for the starters. Can't believe it's only a week away.
Share 49ersWebzone