LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by 5280High:
At first I also thought there was no chance of him making the roster or any team being interested in him. But the more the media covers this guy the less chance of sneaking him on the practice squad.

I doubt any coaching staff relies on the media to get player information. If a team wants a guy that's available to them, they're gonna get him whether Sportscenter's been talking yapping about him or not. Hoping he progresses enough this offseason to make the 53 though.

Generally I'd agree with you, but there may be one exception: The Jaguars. It seems like they are the frontrunners to be the London expansion team. And they happen to play in London this year (against us ). I can see that signing be a publicity stunt for them, as they have no shot to make the playoffs anyway.

Okyoe chose the Niners. He believes his best opportunity to make in this league is as a Niner, he has been advised the same by both folks in the UK and in the states involved with NFL Europe. He will be on our practice squad and he is going to be happy to be there and the Niners are going to develop this guy into an absolute monster.

I absolutely believe he would decline a claim by another team.
Originally posted by leon49:
Originally posted by WildBill:
He has great potential, but needs training, perhaps they are keeping it quiet so that they can sneak him onto the practice squad. After all, when you are a playoff/sb contender, people are going to take your scraps, even projects and after all the hard work, you don't want others to take him. If you are a wanna be, it is easier to ignore.

What are the chances of him being picked off? He can decline like what other Niner practice squad members did. He chose the Niners mainly because he knew Jim Tomsula is experienced in teaching players football from scratch.
Before you can place a person on the practice squad, he must first clear waivers, if a team picks you up from waivers, you can't refuse if I am not mistaken and assumes the contract, I think you are talking about if another team wants to sign him off the niner's practice squad after he clears waivers and is placed there. However, if you sign a player from another team's practice squad, you can only do so to put him on your 53 man roster. Also, when you waive a person, the team with the worst record has first dibs then the next etc. and they must pick up the contract he signed. Unless I missed a rule change this was the rule last I heard.
[ Edited by WildBill on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Okyoe chose the Niners. He believes his best opportunity to make in this league is as a Niner, he has been advised the same by both folks in the UK and in the states involved with NFL Europe. He will be on our practice squad and he is going to be happy to be there and the Niners are going to develop this guy into an absolute monster.

I absolutely believe he would decline a claim by another team.

See my answer above unless they changed the rules.
cant see him making an impact this year at all, needs coaching and will be on the PS squad hopefully.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

damn, he makes tukafu and ray mac look small
What's his weight now? Is he still over 300?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What's his weight now? Is he still over 300?

Last I heard he was. Either way, he's definitely the most athletic 300-pounder that I've ever seen.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Before you can place a person on the practice squad, he must first clear waivers, if a team picks you up from waivers, you can't refuse if I am not mistaken and assumes the contract, I think you are talking about if another team wants to sign him off the niner's practice squad after he clears waivers and is placed there. However, if you sign a player from another team's practice squad, you can only do so to put him on your 53 man roster. Also, when you waive a person, the team with the worst record has first dibs then the next etc. and they must pick up the contract he signed. Unless I missed a rule change this was the rule last I heard.

This is correct, and in my opinion Law will not make it through waivers.
I think he will absolutely make the roster just off of his high ceiling. He might not be active game day, but he will make the final roster.

I do not have the link, but apparently their is some explosion drill that the DL coach does, they wear them out to a point of exhaustion and then have them do broad jumps, where you stay stationary and jump forward. Okoye jumped 7 feet or it could be 6 feet, one of the two. Either way he matched or did better than the workout warrior Justin Smith.

If the best DL coach in the NFL, and the best player coach in Justin Smith can mold anyone it will be OKOYE. I am predicting that Okoye will be the next Antonio Gates, whereas college teams will start looking at discus and shot putter (margus hunt) trying to find a diamond in the rough.

Originally posted by 9erred:
I think he will absolutely make the roster just off of his high ceiling. He might not be active game day, but he will make the final roster.

I do not have the link, but apparently their is some explosion drill that the DL coach does, they wear them out to a point of exhaustion and then have them do broad jumps, where you stay stationary and jump forward. Okoye jumped 7 feet or it could be 6 feet, one of the two. Either way he matched or did better than the workout warrior Justin Smith.

If the best DL coach in the NFL, and the best player coach in Justin Smith can mold anyone it will be OKOYE. I am predicting that Okoye will be the next Antonio Gates, whereas college teams will start looking at discus and shot putter (margus hunt) trying to find a diamond in the rough.

yeah but most teams don't have the luxury of taking guys they can gamble with for the hell of it.

We drafted Lattimore just to redshirt him this year then we signed this physical freak just to see if our coaching staff can use the force on him and make him into a monster.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
yeah but most teams don't have the luxury of taking guys they can gamble with for the hell of it.

We drafted Lattimore just to redshirt him this year then we signed this physical freak just to see if our coaching staff can use the force on him and make him into a monster.

While waiting for his chance, he will be a FB or Blocking TE on jumbo packages, no technique needed, just mug and steam roll the LB or DB.
[ Edited by WildBill on Jun 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
bust
By mid-season he'll make us all forget about Justin Smith. Hopefully it's before the trade deadline so we can get something back for Cowboy when we don't need him anymore.
Originally posted by kush:
By mid-season he'll make us all forget about Justin Smith. Hopefully it's before the trade deadline so we can get something back for Cowboy when we don't need him anymore.

Share 49ersWebzone