Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I wonder who is the guy (wearing #60) in the front at [1:25 of the video]... he looks a little short to be one of the o-linemen, but he got a belly popping out -- gots to work on that

I thought the SAME thing...looks WAY out of shape. LOL.

It's Sherman Carter. BTW: #54 Nick Moody looks freaking mean/huge. Perfect fit at ILB behind Willis/Bowman.

Full list: http://ninercaphell.com/roster/

He looks much smaller than the two guys beside him. He doesn't look 6'3/300 lbs like his BIO says... but he does have a pot belly
http://www.tsutigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19600&ATCLID=204794369

From the video, it looks like Okoye would be able to jump over him and dance all around his azz

BETTER QUESTION (BQ)

Who is the burn-out looking dude in the middle of Moody/Reid at [1:55] in the vid
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Jewel-Hampton-Gets-Back-to-Work/1683c61d-3697-4dce-b4f0-df3cc653c81f

Trust me, you're gonna want to view it at fullscreen!

You talking about the bro? Or is it the dude? He's an equipment guy.

Man, I'll drink up with that dude... bet he has a lot of Niner/camp stories that don't reach the news
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
39 pages dedicated to a guy that has never played football and likely won't make the team. Oh webzone...this ranks right up there with Nate Davis, Kory Sheets, PJ Fleck, and all the other players lauded on this site that never did anything. is it August yet?

I admit it's silly how this thread as grown, but unlike the other Niner Talk favs, Okoye is a unique story and even if it's a small chance, he could be a difference-maker if he can figure out this game.

believing football is complicated
Originally posted by xtm059:
39 pages dedicated to a guy that has never played football and likely won't make the team. Oh webzone...this ranks right up there with Nate Davis, Kory Sheets, PJ Fleck, and all the other players lauded on this site that never did anything. is it August yet?

I admit it's silly how this thread as grown, but unlike the other Niner Talk favs, Okoye is a unique story and even if it's a small chance, he could be a difference-maker if he can figure out this game.

Kory Sheets > Glen Coffee. Sometimes the zone is right.
Originally posted by Niner3030:
Originally posted by xtm059:

Kory Sheets > Glen Coffee. Sometimes the zone is right.

A broken clock is also right 2x a day.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I wonder who is the guy (wearing #60) in the front at [1:25 of the video]... he looks a little short to be one of the o-linemen, but he got a belly popping out -- gots to work on that

I thought the SAME thing...looks WAY out of shape. LOL.

It's Sherman Carter. BTW: #54 Nick Moody looks freaking mean/huge. Perfect fit at ILB behind Willis/Bowman.

Full list: http://ninercaphell.com/roster/
Moody looks like he's been working out with Willis and Bowman

No doubt!
Haven't heard anything for awhile about this guy. Found this article...

"Jim Tomsula, the 49ers' defensive line coach, jumped at the chance to work with Okoye after seeing the physical potential the former Great Britain discus champion possessed at a trial in Dallas earlier this year.San Francisco signed the 21-year-old as a free agent last month in what is believed to be a three-year deal and Tomsula instantly got to work, converting the 6ft 6in, 21st 10lb Okoye into a defensive end."

"I was really excited about the possibilities of Lawrence being here," said Tomsula . "Our owners, general manager and head coach, they are the people who make the final decisions on signings. But did I push for him? Absolutely. Did I want him to be here? Absolutely."He has speed, strength and athleticism – he has all the tools. I'm having a blast coaching him."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/404778/NFL-Lawrence-Okoye-has-all-the-tools-to-make-cut
  • buck
  • Veteran
A broken clock is also right 2x a day.

Not if it is a 24 hour clock.
I was about to bump this thread yesterday to see what's up. Sounds like things are going as expected. Dude is working hard to make the grade. No attitude problems.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Haven't heard anything for awhile about this guy. Found this article...

"Jim Tomsula, the 49ers' defensive line coach, jumped at the chance to work with Okoye after seeing the physical potential the former Great Britain discus champion possessed at a trial in Dallas earlier this year.San Francisco signed the 21-year-old as a free agent last month in what is believed to be a three-year deal and Tomsula instantly got to work, converting the 6ft 6in, 21st 10lb Okoye into a defensive end."

"I was really excited about the possibilities of Lawrence being here," said Tomsula . "Our owners, general manager and head coach, they are the people who make the final decisions on signings. But did I push for him? Absolutely. Did I want him to be here? Absolutely."He has speed, strength and athleticism – he has all the tools. I'm having a blast coaching him."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/404778/NFL-Lawrence-Okoye-has-all-the-tools-to-make-cut

Tomsula is such a badass. Hes essentially saying "im an artist. hand me a ball of clay and i will make you a masterpiece". I loved him at the combine. I think hes my fav. Okoye has such a high ceiling. I think hes so physically gifted that even if he doesn't become a dominating pass rusher I think he can easily be POA pushing monster.
he would be a great fit for our Practice Squad

He has great potential, but needs training, perhaps they are keeping it quiet so that they can sneak him onto the practice squad. After all, when you are a playoff/sb contender, people are going to take your scraps, even projects and after all the hard work, you don't want others to take him. If you are a wanna be, it is easier to ignore.
Originally posted by WildBill:
He has great potential, but needs training, perhaps they are keeping it quiet so that they can sneak him onto the practice squad. After all, when you are a playoff/sb contender, people are going to take your scraps, even projects and after all the hard work, you don't want others to take him. If you are a wanna be, it is easier to ignore.

What are the chances of him being picked off? He can decline like what other Niner practice squad members did. He chose the Niners mainly because he knew Jim Tomsula is experienced in teaching players football from scratch.
Originally posted by leon49:
Originally posted by WildBill:

What are the chances of him being picked off? He can decline like what other Niner practice squad members did. He chose the Niners mainly because he knew Jim Tomsula is experienced in teaching players football from scratch.

At first I also thought there was no chance of him making the roster or any team being interested in him. But the more the media covers this guy the less chance of sneaking him on the practice squad. My own opinion is that he takes over Tukus spot, doesnt dress for game days, and just learns for the first year. There doesnt seem to be a player with the same amount of potential to put on the 53.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
At first I also thought there was no chance of him making the roster or any team being interested in him. But the more the media covers this guy the less chance of sneaking him on the practice squad.

I doubt any coaching staff relies on the media to get player information. If a team wants a guy that's available to them, they're gonna get him whether Sportscenter's been talking yapping about him or not. Hoping he progresses enough this offseason to make the 53 though.
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by 5280High:
At first I also thought there was no chance of him making the roster or any team being interested in him. But the more the media covers this guy the less chance of sneaking him on the practice squad.

I doubt any coaching staff relies on the media to get player information. If a team wants a guy that's available to them, they're gonna get him whether Sportscenter's been talking yapping about him or not. Hoping he progresses enough this offseason to make the 53 though.

Generally I'd agree with you, but there may be one exception: The Jaguars. It seems like they are the frontrunners to be the London expansion team. And they happen to play in London this year (against us ). I can see that signing be a publicity stunt for them, as they have no shot to make the playoffs anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone