LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Its all about explosion, conditioning, leverage, hand placement, and tackling technique now for Okoye. The playbook will come later. If he truly is gifted at football, then they will simplify his assignments to start.

1. Explosion - he appears to have it.
2. Conditioning - if he can train for the Olympics in 2 years, he knows how to train and has demonstrated commitment. So I don't doubt he can get into condition.
3. Leverage - If he had been in scrums in rugby, I'd say he might have learned a bit about leverage, but it says on Wikipedia he played winger - which means for his size he is crazy fast and athletic. I would have guessed he'd be a Prop in the scrum in rudgy at his size. If he played winger, geez, they might try him as a short yardage back!! LOL
4. Hand Placement - Related to leverage, this could be the hardest thing for him to master in a short period of time. If you don't use your hands well, even when trying to shoot the gap between Olinemen, the Oline will easily get into your body and render you ineffective quick.
5. Tackling - So he breaks through the line, disruptive enough! Which is a big bonus - but can he tackle. From rugby, he should be pretty good at waist tackling, but it is a whole different beast being a good tackler when a runner is coming low and hard. Too often, non-football players just have never learned the art of wrapping up while taking a blow.

So to me, he has three priorities - learn to play with leverage to get the opponent off balance - hands are a huge part of that -- and let's see if he can tackle. Tackling will be the true measure.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Its all about explosion, conditioning, leverage, hand placement, and tackling technique now for Okoye. The playbook will come later. If he truly is gifted at football, then they will simplify his assignments to start.

2. Conditioning - if he can train for the Olympics in 2 years, he knows how to train and has demonstrated commitment. So I don't doubt he can get into condition.
3. Leverage - If he had been in scrums in rugby, I'd say he might have learned a bit about leverage, but it says on Wikipedia he played winger - which means for his size he is crazy fast and athletic. I would have guessed he'd be a Prop in the scrum in rudgy at his size. If he played winger, geez, they might try him as a short yardage back!! LOL
4. Hand Placement - Related to leverage, this could be the hardest thing for him to master in a short period of time. If you don't use your hands well, even when trying to shoot the gap between Olinemen, the Oline will easily get into your body and render you ineffective quick.
5. Tackling - So he breaks through the line, disruptive enough! Which is a big bonus - but can he tackle. From rugby, he should be pretty good at waist tackling, but it is a whole different beast being a good tackler when a runner is coming low and hard. Too often, non-football players just have never learned the art of wrapping up while taking a blow.

So to me, he has three priorities - learn to play with leverage to get the opponent off balance - hands are a huge part of that -- and let's see if he can tackle. Tackling will be the true measure.

That's a really good assessment. It's helps having knowledge of rugby positions and responsibilities. I also thought proper tackling could be the toughest challenge because many people who play football their entire life don't wrap up properly.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:

That's a really good assessment. It's helps having knowledge of rugby positions and responsibilities. I also thought proper tackling could be the toughest challenge because many people who play football their entire life don't wrap up properly.

That's a good sign for Okoye. It implies wrapping up properly is less about experience and repetition and more about laziness and commitment.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

That's a good sign for Okoye. It implies wrapping up properly is less about experience and repetition and more about laziness and commitment.

• CRUD
If I were coach I'd be open t giving the guy a chance but wouldn't invest anything at all other than a chance. I think, chances are, the NFL will move on into the future without him.
Well he can tackle without pads I'm sure the transition won't be too hard. I really think this guy can be the real deal, especially if Tomsula keeps giving him all that attention. The thought of this guy on one end and Tank on the other can cause wet dreams for us and nightmares for everyone else
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Scrum leverage is much different than lining up across from an OT trying to beat him for a sack and not getting pancaked at the same time. Scrum, you're already locked up with your opponent and teammate at the same time fighting for the ball. Your not really battling one-on-one or even two-on-one for three or four downs with leverage ans pass-rush moves which will gas you out in no time. I agree that they will most likely simplify his assignments, but if he can't show basic fundamentals which takes most players a few years to learn then hos time will be short as an NFL player. But I would hope he wouldn't give up if cut, there's always the CFL or AFL, and since hes still young he could always come back to the NFL. One thing is for sure, with his size and speed he may be useful on Special Teams.
  • CRUD
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Well he can tackle without pads I'm sure the transition won't be too hard. I really think this guy can be the real deal, especially if Tomsula keeps giving him all that attention. The thought of this guy on one end and Tank on the other can cause wet dreams for us and nightmares for everyone else

I'm all for him succeeding but there are people his size that have been playing football for 6, 7, 8 and ten years. It would take freakish talent to just come in and dominate.
Originally posted by CRUD:
I'm all for him succeeding but there are people his size that have been playing football for 6, 7, 8 and ten years. It would take freakish talent to just come in and dominate.

Would being an olympian two years after learning it qualify as freakish talent? I'm not saying he gonna dominate right away, but I think he can in a year or two.

• CRUD
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Would being an olympian two years after learning it qualify as freakish talent? I'm not saying he gonna dominate right away, but I think he can in a year or two.

Maybe. The NFL isn't discuss throwing or whatever he did. I think Steve Tasker is the only rugby player who had a pro-bowl season in the NFL.
[ Edited by CRUD on May 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
From Ziggy Ansah's wikipedia:

Unfamiliar with American football, Ansah had to be instructed in the most basic rules and techniques, even needing help getting on his pads for the first time.[5] Mid-way through the 2010 season Ansah made his first collegiate appearance in the Cougars' game versus Wyoming where he recorded his first tackle. During the 2010 season he saw action in six games on special teams and the defensive line, recording three tackles and a pass breakup.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, but the suggestion of some in here that it takes YEARS AND YEARS to become a useful football player seems greatly exaggerated. Ansah became a situational backup under similar circumstances at a similar age.

Many variables here are changed. The 49ers have a much tougher rotation to crack than BYU. But I have a feeling Okoye is a quicker study and a harder worker. I really think the 49ers should suit him up this season and send him out on special teams and maybe a play or two per game on defense. Sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by CRUD:
Maybe. The NFL isn't discuss throwing or whatever he did. I think Steve Tasker is the only rugby player who had a pro-bowl season in the NFL.

You're missing the point, the fact that he mastered something he's never done in two years at an olympic level is impressive no matter what the sport is. I know it aint the NFL, but obviously the kid is something special to absolutely dominate the combine over guys that have been doing it for five, six, ten years. He got signed purely on freakish talent. All I know is we signed him, as long as he's with us I'll root for him, and if it doesn't work out who cares he was a UDFA
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

lol, you nailed it with that pic!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
From Ziggy Ansah's wikipedia:

Unfamiliar with American football, Ansah had to be instructed in the most basic rules and techniques, even needing help getting on his pads for the first time.[5] Mid-way through the 2010 season Ansah made his first collegiate appearance in the Cougars' game versus Wyoming where he recorded his first tackle. During the 2010 season he saw action in six games on special teams and the defensive line, recording three tackles and a pass breakup.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, but the suggestion of some in here that it takes YEARS AND YEARS to become a useful football player seems greatly exaggerated. Ansah became a situational backup under similar circumstances at a similar age.

Many variables here are changed. The 49ers have a much tougher rotation to crack than BYU. But I have a feeling Okoye is a quicker study and a harder worker. I really think the 49ers should suit him up this season and send him out on special teams and maybe a play or two per game on defense. Sooner rather than later.

He can be great for a few blocks on field goal attempts... and if used for coverage on punt returns/kick offs, it would be wise for the returner to go the opposite direction. Imagine a 190 pound punt returner full speed-running into this guy at full speed, lights out!

You can tell he's a hard worker and a quick study, but American Football isn't just learned in one off season. Although, it seems like the coaches are going to try and get this guy up to par (techniques/nuances/etc) as much as possible to see what he can do in the pre-season games. We can just hope that this isn't "all for not."
Share 49ersWebzone