There are 204 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

It is rather fascinating. The odds are against him. Heck, he has not even played a meaningless game before.

I do not have any idea if he will make the team, but I find it fascinating and wish him the best of luck.

This

He may have 0 experience, but he has very unique physical gifts. Pair that with Tomsula's tutelage, and he may be a great UDFA signee. Obviously, the Niners know they he has a lot to learn, but this is a perfect example of a player who goes undrafted that could potentially be a contributor.

My only concern is he probably wont be one of the best 53 players to make the roster, so another team may swoop him off waivers before he gets to our PS.

If they take him off our practice squad, they'll have to reteach him their system and place him on their 53. I'm sure they'll leave him alone.

That's a good point
Don't really see the fascination with this guy, all hes got going for him is 6'6" 300, other than that he hasn't even played a meaningful game before.

It is rather fascinating. The odds are against him. Heck, he has not even played a meaningless game before.

I do not have any idea if he will make the team, but I find it fascinating and wish him the best of luck.

This

He may have 0 experience, but he has very unique physical gifts. Pair that with Tomsula's tutelage, and he may be a great UDFA signee. Obviously, the Niners know they he has a lot to learn, but this is a perfect example of a player who goes undrafted that could potentially be a contributor.

My only concern is he probably wont be one of the best 53 players to make the roster, so another team may swoop him off waivers before he gets to our PS.

If they take him off our practice squad, they'll have to reteach him their system and place him on their 53. I'm sure they'll leave him alone.

If another team tries to take him of our practice squad he doesnt have to go. Ricardo Lockette turned down multiple teams last year who tried to take him off our practice squad
  • thl408
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by thl408:
Isn't DE a very technical position to learn? Operating in small space with lots of hand fighting and leverage of the lower body.

How about as a monster short yardage back? Teach him to lower shoulders and BOOM! Flatten a LB for 2 yards running behind Iupati with Miller leading. He's already familiar with handling the rock. F=ma.

"As a defensive end, Okoye won't be asked to do too much. At its core, playing defense is still about making tackles and getting after the quarterback, and Okoye may not need much coaching to do those things. Okoye's size will allow him to play a position at which physically gifted athletes can thrive without Peyton Manning's football intellect."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621673-lawrence-okoyes-rookie-projections-with-san-francisco-49ers

I actually did see that article and the author basically said what LieutKaffee said in that bit that you posted. It just seems like it is oversimplifying the intricacies of being a DL. Comparing it to the cerebral aspects of being a QB is obviously going to make being a DL seem simple. Unless his physical tools are so dominant that it completely trumps what the OT can do, Okoye is going to have to soak up a lot of knowledge from the coaches. He certainly appears capable of learning based off his ability to pick up discuss in a short time, but we all know going one on one with an NFL OT is a different animal.

This is the tidbit I was most encouraged to read: "Okoye admits it will be a long road and it may take some time to earn any amount of playing time, but he's confident in his physical abilities and propensity for learning quickly."

Change the word "some" to "a lot" and I think he has the right mnidset. If the wedge formation was still legal, imagine Okoye as a wedge buster.
cant wait to bump this thread in 3 years when he is a nobody again.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Who cares if he doesnt pan out, It costs very little money to sign him and we didnt have to use a draft pick on him. Low cost high reward
Originally posted by valrod33:

This

If another team tries to take him of our practice squad he doesnt have to go. Ricardo Lockette turned down multiple teams last year who tried to take him off our practice squad

Even better. Lol.

You can't wait for a young man to fail? Awesome...
  • thl408
Originally posted by AmpLee:

This. Seriously. Don't we want 49ers to be successful?

There are fans that want certain aspects of the team to fail just so they can say "see I told you so". I don't get that stance, but whatevs.
Maybe he pans out, maybe he doesn't. People need to stop acting like rugby isn't a viable sport to gain valuable skills to play American Football. It teaches you how to run, catch and tackle. He wouldn't be playing day 1 but be a project.

He had been playing for the academy (minors) team for the London Irish. The London Irish are in the top English Rugby competition.

My opinion is this. If Jesse Williams ( an absolute nobody in the world of rugby) can come to America and play four years of college football and be selected in the 5th round then I think an up and coming rugby player and Olympian has an even better shot. Oh I realise Williams had been playing American Football in Australia since he was 14, but American Football in Australia is beyond pathetic and I doubt he got the best coaching there either.
Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.

As someone else said, it is the other way around. Which is confusing for none Brits I agree as for most sports, what you have typed is correct.

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.

It's the other way round....England, Wales, Scotland, ans N. Ireland play separately in soccer and other sports, but as the "Great Britain" team for the Olympics

Thank you for the correction. I really do get confused with differences between the English and British.

Ok, internationally, we are known as the United Kingdom, or UK for short. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Please do not confuse Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland, which is a separate sovereign nation entirely.

Then we have Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland & Wales.

In the Olympic Games, our nations official title is "Great Britain & Northern Ireland".

In most sports, with Football (soccer to you guys) being the most popular, we compete as our own individual identities. The Olympics Football Tournament were an exception because we were the home nation and we will not enter a GB&NI team in Rio for their football tournament.

Just to confuse you, the second most popular sport in the UK, cricket, we are known as England. However, this consists of English & Welsh players.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Pretty easy to remember...they're not Irish!

Thanks that helps.

One more step to go. Do the English consider themselves European or are the English considered European by others?

Very definitely English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish or British. Absolutely no way European. The EU, which we are part of, are generally unelected and a corrupt body. The majority of the UK are anti-EU.

Hope this helped!

Back on topic, as an English NFL Fan, I will watch Okoye's progress with interest. With him, Tom Wort & Menelik Watson being picked up this year (Watson getting drafted in the second round!), it was a good draft for the English.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by EnglishNFLFan:
As someone else said, it is the other way around. Which is confusing for none Brits I agree as for most sports, what you have typed is correct.

Ok, internationally, we are known as the United Kingdom, or UK for short. The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Please do not confuse Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland, which is a separate sovereign nation entirely.

Then we have Great Britain, which consists of England, Scotland & Wales.

In the Olympic Games, our nations official title is "Great Britain & Northern Ireland".

In most sports, with Football (soccer to you guys) being the most popular, we compete as our own individual identities. The Olympics Football Tournament were an exception because we were the home nation and we will not enter a GB&NI team in Rio for their football tournament.

Just to confuse you, the second most popular sport in the UK, cricket, we are known as England. However, this consists of English & Welsh players.

Very definitely English/Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish or British. Absolutely no way European. The EU, which we are part of, are generally unelected and a corrupt body. The majority of the UK are anti-EU.

Hope this helped!

Very much so. Now, if I can remember it. Thanks.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Really man
Originally posted by AmpLee:

This. Seriously. Don't we want 49ers to be successful?

crabman is just living up to his screen name. He must go to Costco to buy his Haterade in bulk.

I didn't post that. That's not what I'm saying at all.
Share 49ersWebzone