LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Yeah if only there was a place that he could just practice and not Count as a roster spot.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Do you know what the word facetious means? Sorry about the mix up in facts I don't always have time to spot check my posts with 5 kids hanging off me. Anyway your notion that Nehemiah lived up to his expectations is totally wrong. He was worse than jj stokes. He was a high profile million dollar sports illustrated bust. The fact that you are comparing him to Williams is confirmation of this.

He is the perfect cautionary tale for okoye, and the pie in the sky postings on this thread.

Maybe we found the next Jpp. Maybe not.

Where exactly did I even hint that Renaldo lived up to his expectations?

I compared him to Kyle Williams because the stats are similar.
I am not enthralled with Kyle Williams and I was disappointed with Renaldo when he played for the 49ers.

I just do not think their situations are comparable. I have no idea if Okoye will even make the practice squad.

You asked me: "Do you know what the word facetious means?"

I think I do, but right after you claimed you were only being facetious, you immediately stated, "But it's not a bad idea to prevent a lot of aimless speculation about a guy who just may simply decide he doesn't want to get beat up for a living." I took to mean that you did think locking the thread was a good idea.

I guess I did not understand what you meant.

Now, I understand that you really do agree that locking the thread would be both outrageous and preposterous.

Five kids hanging on you, boy that is a lot. Good luck
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Pretty easy to remember...they're not Irish!

Thanks that helps.

One more step to go. Do the English consider themselves European or are the English considered European by others?
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Yeah if only there was a place that he could just practice and not Count as a roster spot.

If we put him on the practice squad doesn't that mean another team and take him away?
Woah...hold on folks. Okoye's a nice story...and it's possible he could learn to be a football player. But Dial's the guy I'm a lot more intrigued by...he's a guy Tomsula can coach up and potentially become a beast on our DL.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
No one, no one, is calling him an all pro. Do you mean some of us that think there's a shot he makes the 53 man roster and has crazy athletic potential? Making up straw-man arguments to improve your position won't make you many friends around here.

Oh Come ON! Sure, not literally, but there's pages and pages of speculation about whether this guy will make a better tight end than DE, how he's going to start, who he'll kick off the roster, make an awesome impact....... puh-leeze. I can't stop laughing just thinking how premature this whole thing is.....No disrespect to Okoye because he is obviously a crazy physical specimen, but there's a long way to go. That's all I'm saying.

We're 9er nation. We're supposed to be smarter more analytical than that, aren't we? Is that really being Debbie Downer? Wha Wha Whaaaaah.

One thing I have distaste for are the self serving congratulations to the FO about every little draft move. Happens a lot on these pages. It's weird, IMO.

I hope that's not what it takes make friends around here.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Courtesy of AmpLee in the photoshop thread:

stupid.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
If we put him on the practice squad doesn't that mean another team and take him away?

No. Not really. Kind of. That is clear isn't it.

Another team can make a practice squad player an offer, but the player has the option of accepting or declining the offer.

So, in a sense a team could take him away, but only if the player agrees to go.

It has been reported that last year a couple of players on SF practice squad were given offers by other teams, and they rejected them.
I think Ricardo Lockette was one of those players.

A player can be on the practice squad for a maximum of three years, but there other factors that can reduce that time, such as time spent on the 53-man roster.

The article linked below explains the basics about the practice squad.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Low-key-life-of-a-practice-squad-player-4110169.php#page-2
[ Edited by buck on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM ]
No one, no one, is calling him an all pro. Do you mean some of us that think there's a shot he makes the 53 man roster and has crazy athletic potential? Making up straw-man arguments to improve your position won't make you many friends around here.

Oh Come ON! Sure, not literally, but there's pages and pages of speculation about whether this guy will make a better tight end than DE, how he's going to start, who he'll kick off the roster, make an awesome impact....... puh-leeze. I can't stop laughing just thinking how premature this whole thing is.....No disrespect to Okoye because he is obviously a crazy physical specimen, but there's a long way to go. That's all I'm saying.

We're 9er nation. We're supposed to be smarter more analytical than that, aren't we? Is that really being Debbie Downer? Wha Wha Whaaaaah.

One thing I have distaste for are the self serving congratulations to the FO about every little draft move. Happens a lot on these pages. It's weird, IMO.

I hope that's not what it takes make friends around here.

You're being abrasive when there really isn't a cause or reason.

Let me guess... Being facetious again?

People enjoyed the draft and the moves by the FO. You don't like that... Ok. No need to be so obnoxious.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for brodiebluebanaszak.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

People enjoyed the draft and the moves by the FO. You don't like that... Ok. No need to be so obnoxious.

Hey, there was a reason. I was accused of making up arguments when i was accurately characterizing the tenor of the comments on this thread. I happen to like some of the moves of the FO too. But I don't fawn on them. And I also have some issues. Ooops, there I go being obnoxious again. Pologies.

Hey, there was a reason. I was accused of making up arguments when i was accurately characterizing the tenor of the comments on this thread. I happen to like some of the moves of the FO too. But I don't fawn on them. And I also have some issues. Ooops, there I go being obnoxious again. Pologies.

If you have some issues, go discuss them.
Do you think the FO made a mistake signing this UDFA?

Exactly not. Thank you for bringing this up. All my comments are directed at this thread, not Okoye.

However, I would be a little uncomfortable if the FO is presuming him to be a significant part of the rotation this year.
You're being dramatic and misrepresenting peoples' arguments. Almost trollish.

Excuse me, but I am the one who has been called unfriendly, obnoxious, duplicitous, melodramatic, and a troll.

Don't sugar coat it guys, give it to me straight.
I wish him luck and it would fantastic if were able to contribute......but for some reason, Brock Lesnar comes to mind

Exactly not. Thank you for bringing this up. All my comments are directed at this thread, not Okoye.

However, I would be a little uncomfortable if the FO is presuming him to be a significant part of the rotation this year.

If you don't like the thread, post in another one.
Why waste your time hijacking a thread because you think the tone is too rosy?

Okoye is likely to go on PS this season. He stated as much himself in the posted interview.
That does not diminish the potential given his freakish athleticism, size, strength, etc.
Share 49ersWebzone