LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by MILFS:
this guy will be a MONSTER

He already is a monster. His football playing ability is another question entirely.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Are people upset we signed this guy?? I don't get it lol
3 guys this draft got drafted with little football experience, Margus Hunt, Menilik Watson and Ansah
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
what position does he play?

He is going to throw Russell Wilson for a world's record.

Courtesy of AmpLee in the photoshop thread:

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
He isn't just some 6'6 300lb guy. The guy is an Olympian. He became an Olympian in an event he only practiced for 2 years. Before that, he had never thrown a discuss before. So no, I don't know what you mean.

I would argue that it takes less skill to learn to throw a discuss, than it does to learn to play D-line. You're only doing one single repetitive motion throwing a discuss. On the D-line, you have a hundred different athletic movements to master to avoid being put on your 300lb ass.
Originally posted by buck:
I thought the idea of locking the thread was both outrageous and preposterous--and still do.

You still think locking the thread is a good idea--I still disagree.

You brought Renaldo into the discussion.
Nehemiah eventually gave up the game, but that was a long eventually; he did play for three years/

You might consider checking your facts.

Renaldo was not the world's best 440 hurdler.
He dominated the 110 meter high hurdles; set the world record and was the first man to run 110 highs under 13 seconds.
All his records were in the high hurdles. He set world records in 50 meter, 55m, 50 yard, and 60 yard high hurdles. .

Do you know what the word facetious means? Sorry about the mix up in facts I don't always have time to spot check my posts with 5 kids hanging off me. Anyway your notion that Nehemiah lived up to his expectations is totally wrong. He was worse than jj stokes. He was a high profile million dollar sports illustrated bust. The fact that you are comparing him to Williams is confirmation of this.

He is the perfect cautionary tale for okoye, and the pie in the sky postings on this thread.

Maybe we found the next Jpp. Maybe not.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Funny man-- yes, he is a black European.

Well, I think he is an European.

He was born in England; he is English. But, I am never sure if the English consider themselves Europeans.

It gets even more complicated. He is also British and holds the British discus record.

But, he was on the English Olympic team; there is no British Olympic team.

It's the other way round....England, Wales, Scotland, ans N. Ireland play separately in soccer and other sports, but as the "Great Britain" team for the Olympics

Thank you for the correction. I really do get confused with differences between the English and British.

Pretty easy to remember...they're not Irish!
Originally posted by WINiner:
Your last 2 sentences are comical since you were indeed asking mods to prevent others from doing just that.

Again I wasn't serious about locking the thread.
Originally posted by jimrat:
3 guys this draft got drafted with little football experience, Margus Hunt, Menilik Watson and Ansah

No not about the signing but some of the rose colored postings here so to speak.

And there are probably 30 other "circus strong men" who have tried to play football but flamed out, of course no one talks about people who weren't successful at football. We only hear about the success stories.

Hunt and others have proven that a raw athlete CAN be successful picking up the game, it's just not very likely to happen. Like anything else, you only hear about the success stories. I can roughly recall a bunch of stories of olympians and other super athletes trying out for football teams in college and the NFL, and then never hearing about them again.

All I'm saying is that this guy has just as much a chance to make the team as any other UFA.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

No not about the signing but some of the rose colored postings here so to speak.

Hey Debbie downer it's the offseason, A lot of people are still floating on the draft buzz. Also I don't see any posts predicting him to be all pro or something. People are just stoked about his potential and there's nothing wrong with that.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Serious question because I'm ignorant when it comes to the mechanics and timing of 90-man rosters, 53-man rosters. practice squad eligibility, blah blah blah:

Is there anything that can jeopardize our long-term hold on this guy? Any way teams can steal him? My thinking: Even if it takes him 2-3 years to "learn" football, he would still be a 24 year old freak of nature. We should do literally whatever is necessary to coach this kid up. Hell, send him to an SEC school for two years while maintaining his rights. Is he NCAA-eligible??

I seriously doubt he is NCAA-eligible after signing the contract with the 49ers. I had a student who was a good swimmer.

He swam in the Pan American games and the Worlds.

He tried to get an scholarship at an US school, but could meet the eligibility requirements after receiving much less from Speedo than Okoye got form the 49ers.
No idea why the negative thoughts about him, when this place gives BJ's to guys like Kory Sheets and Chris Owusu ...

Yes, this guy has no football experience. But at LEAST he has rugby.

And his work ethic is much higher than other UDFA. Training for the olympics is unreal. . going from a nobody to ranked 5th in just 2 years. WOW
Originally posted by Zachary:
No idea why the negative thoughts about him, when this place gives BJ's to guys like Kory Sheets and Chris Owusu ...

Yes, this guy has no football experience. But at LEAST he has rugby.

And his work ethic is much higher than other UDFA. Training for the olympics is unreal. . going from a nobody to ranked 5th in just 2 years. WOW

No negative thoughts about okoye. Just casting aspersions on those who have him penciled in for all pro before he's taken a single hit from staley.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Okoye is a rare athlete. Plenty of 305 pound circus-strong guys out there. Not many (if any) running 4.5 - 4.7 40s. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see if he picks up the game fast enough to stick.

Sure. I'm not saying he isn't a legit UFA. He's legit. He might make the team, just like any other UFA.
He is the only human I can remember who has been given a chance on an NFL D-line simply because of his size/strength. Even the Olympic athletes (James Jett, etc) had played football in high school at least.

It's says a lot about him that we are giving him a chance, despite the fact that he has never played a snap of football in his life. It's amazing and unprecedented for a man his size.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
oh ok so he's an olympian and never played football before? Rugby do'nt count. He's 6'6 306 then he's gonna need to learn leverage 1st and foremost but who has time for ametuer hour when the 49ers will be competing for a Super Bowl?

Yeah if only there was a place that he could just practice and not Count as a roster spot.
Share 49ersWebzone