LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 150 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I have been rooting for Okoye because I like his moxie. He had other really excellent opportunities for things to do and he chose to try to make it on an American football team. I think that's really cool. He came to the right place - Tomsula. Even though not making the team - not even the practice squad - would probably bum him out A LOT, my guess is that he would respect Tomsula's opinion that there were other players that played better. On this (Okoye staying or leaving), I trust Tomsula's decision. (It's hard to imagine this isn't Tomsula's call.) If Okoye passes waivers and Tomsula puts him on the PS, then I trust that Okoye is worth at least another year of development. If Okoye passes waivers and Tomsula doesn't put him on the PS, then I trust Tomsula's assessment that it's time for a parting. If Okoye passes waivers and the 9ers don't offer him to be on the PS, then I hope another team picks him up - as a reward for his moxie.
Crap! We lose arguably the best 4th string practice squad player ever in NFL history. Boo Frikken Hoo! Hello Detroit Lions, we're going 0-16 just for that bogus move!!!
nvm.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Sep 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
What would help okoye the most now is to go play arena league ball; playing both ways.
Lots of reps and get some o-line work; see if thats something he can do.
Poof!
Bring back the Nigerian Nightmare, so that he may rule the weight room, flash skills, and keep this thread going for one more year!!!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/85032-transcript-tomsula-talks-offensive-line-starters-okoye-more

Is [Okoye] under consideration to come back here to the practice squad if things work out?

"Yeah, and [Comcast SportsNet Bay Area reporter] Matt [Maiocco], I will answer that vaguely, everybody that's been released is under that umbrella."
Originally posted by zonkers:
Bring back the Nigerian Nightmare, so that he may rule the weight room, flash skills, and keep this thread going for one more year!!!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/85032-transcript-tomsula-talks-offensive-line-starters-okoye-more

Is [Okoye] under consideration to come back here to the practice squad if things work out?

"Yeah, and [Comcast SportsNet Bay Area reporter] Matt [Maiocco], I will answer that vaguely, everybody that's been released is under that umbrella."

Yes!
no one wants this piece of crap
Originally posted by zonkers:

Wrong dude!

The Nigerian Nightmare was Christian Okoye.

Our Okoye was Lawrence Okoye. He was from South London.
175 pages for a guy who didn't make the final 75

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
175 pages for a guy who didn't make the final 75

I know I'd rather move on from Okoye, project didn't workout lets move on and save the spot for someone like Dres Anderson.
What changed? We put three years in this guy, hes making (noticable) progress, then cut him and publicly announce that we don't want him. (maximize the opportunity for him to be picked up by another team).

Why humiliate the guy like that?

I don't get it. Sounds like something changed that didn't have to do with football.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What changed? We put three years in this guy, hes making (noticable) progress, then cut him and publicly announce that we don't want him. (maximize the opportunity for him to be picked up by another team).

Why humiliate the guy like that?

I don't get it. Sounds like something changed that didn't have to do with football.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/tomsula-okoye-waived-early-give-him-chance-other-teams

49ers head coach Jim Tomsula said the decision to waive defensive lineman Lawrence Okoye during the first round of cuts to 75 players was made to give him the best opportunity to land with another team this season. "Just to be frank, Lawrence hasn't played a lot of football," Tomsula said. "So for somebody to give him an opportunity in fairness to him, they're going to want to (see him before the cut to 53 players).

"So, when you have a guy in that situation, was my thought, that it gives him a better opportunity ... What he's done in three years or two-and-a-half years is remarkable."

[And then later in the article Tomsula say this - which someone posted earlier:]

When asked if Okoye remains under consideration for one of the 10 spots on the practice squad, Tomsula said, "I will answer that vaguely, everybody that's been released is under that umbrella."
[ Edited by 49erphan on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM ]
Exactly. Read between. His achievements are so remarkable, we would rather keep TJE. Whatever happened to winning with class? I guess that's just for the players.
Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 3m3 minutes ago

Source: the Patriots worked out former 49ers DL (and track star) Lawrence Okoye.
Share 49ersWebzone