LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just reviewed the tape. He had a very good day (better than I first reallized) and probably the most consistent of all the DL today.

98 Lawrence Okoye – First play he fired up field at RDE and pinched outside/in forcing the RB inside (good) for a Moody tackle of 1 yard. Next play faked outside, in chasing the QB 12 yards back on a pressure (very well done; great hand work). Next play, got low initially (good), but raised up (bad) and as a result, got pushed backwards badly by #77 through the entire play. He quickly learns on the next play and pushes upfield, disengages the same blocker and makes a � tackle for a � a yard gain on 2nd and goal from the 5. Good push and handwork on the next play. Monster push up the field on the next series and a blitz off his edge lead to a quick throw and an INT by Cook (had great leverage). Next series, nice push again, played off two blockers and nearly knocked down a pass (good awareness). Another good push on the next but quick pass. Next play he played high and pinched inside, got spun around and pushed back as the RB hit his hole for a first down for 8. It was actually a double team…G pushed his arms up high and at the same time the T fired down into his rib cage and got him spinning and going backwards. That's a hell of a technique…do we do that? Next play he needed to continue to slide down the line like he was doing but play off the block just a tad quicker to make the tackle; The NT Purcell had already been pushed back FIVE yards by this point for a gaping hole. Great job firing through and past the LG, standing the FB up and forcing the RB into a TFL by Borland on that edge (great burst). Double-teamed by the LG/LT on the next but quick pass incomplete. Good hand work all game, playing off the double while keeping his eye on the QB and pushing up field. Lined up wide right of the LT and bull rushed his ass #77 all the way back to the heels of the QB for an official sack by Lemonier. Another great job inside pushing up field forcing the RB inside for a 2 yard gain; this is where he got undercut by Dial; couldn't push off and went down the next play with a legit ankle sprain.

Bottom line? This dude is a keeper!

Did you notice the 4th-quarter drive? Dude was getting pushed around in the running game like he was a little kid. He may be a kid, but he's downright bad against the run right now. He needs to get at least 2 times better than last night really fast IMO.

Pushed around? Aside from the double-team epic tag-team block and the first #77 push back, he didn't get pushed around at all. In fact, just the opposite. But if you have some film review, please feel free to add to this so that we can be as objective as possible.
still needs more time on the PS, but he looked better
He has elite power/bull rush moves at this point (his 2nd actual game of preseason football mind you).

He is an ideal situational pass rusher for the DL.

He WILL collapse the pocket or occupy double teams.

I say he takes Ventrone's ST roster spot at the very least
This injury is worrisome... If it is indeed a high ankle sprain (the worst), he could be out several weeks. Those ankles have to support a lot of weight.

It's definitely a bummer too, as he was flashing 53-man roster skills before it happened.

Anyone have anything other than prognostication as to how long he'll be out?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This injury is worrisome... If it is indeed a high ankle sprain (the worst), he could be out several weeks. Those ankles have to support a lot of weight.

It's definitely a bummer too, as he was flashing 53-man roster skills before it happened.

Anyone have anything other than prognostication as to how long he'll be out?

Depends. I've had one before.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Just reviewed the tape. He had a very good day (better than I first reallized) and probably the most consistent of all the DL today.

98 Lawrence Okoye – First play he fired up field at RDE and pinched outside/in forcing the RB inside (good) for a Moody tackle of 1 yard. Next play faked outside, in chasing the QB 12 yards back on a pressure (very well done; great hand work). Next play, got low initially (good), but raised up (bad) and as a result, got pushed backwards badly by #77 through the entire play. He quickly learns on the next play and pushes upfield, disengages the same blocker and makes a � tackle for a � a yard gain on 2nd and goal from the 5. Good push and handwork on the next play. Monster push up the field on the next series and a blitz off his edge lead to a quick throw and an INT by Cook (had great leverage). Next series, nice push again, played off two blockers and nearly knocked down a pass (good awareness). Another good push on the next but quick pass. Next play he played high and pinched inside, got spun around and pushed back as the RB hit his hole for a first down for 8. It was actually a double team…G pushed his arms up high and at the same time the T fired down into his rib cage and got him spinning and going backwards. That's a hell of a technique…do we do that? Next play he needed to continue to slide down the line like he was doing but play off the block just a tad quicker to make the tackle; The NT Purcell had already been pushed back FIVE yards by this point for a gaping hole. Great job firing through and past the LG, standing the FB up and forcing the RB into a TFL by Borland on that edge (great burst). Double-teamed by the LG/LT on the next but quick pass incomplete. Good hand work all game, playing off the double while keeping his eye on the QB and pushing up field. Lined up wide right of the LT and bull rushed his ass #77 all the way back to the heels of the QB for an official sack by Lemonier. Another great job inside pushing up field forcing the RB inside for a 2 yard gain; this is where he got undercut by Dial; couldn't push off and went down the next play with a legit ankle sprain.

Did you notice the 4th-quarter drive? Dude was getting pushed around in the running game like he was a little kid. He may be a kid, but he's downright bad against the run right now. He needs to get at least 2 times better than last night really fast IMO.

Pushed around? Aside from the double-team epic tag-team block and the first #77 push back, he didn't get pushed around at all. In fact, just the opposite. But if you have some film review, please feel free to add to this so that we can be as objective as possible.

Lolol This.... Please come foward with the evidence. Wow
No word on the injury?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SJniner7:
No word on the injury?

Yeah I'm wondering too. No broken bones is all i know, but might be ligament damage a la Ian williams. I hope we find out soon. Same with dorsey, is he out a couple of months or all season?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i always thought that icon was just a way to show affection for a fellow poster! awwwwh

bro, u in here stirring it up again? lol

fear not, my friend... soon u will be screaming for the Nigerian Nightmare Pt ll

i am actually pretty proud of my self,, i have only made wisenhammer cracks about lawrence two times today and I feel i am actually asking good questions about him. sure he is raw and was thought of as just a novelty in mcdoogles house of horrors but if he continues to do well then you have to seriously think of him making the roster. that is when i request and value input from fellow posters as to his chances, what has to happen for him to make the team and are we talking about the actual roster or practice team. i still think he could fall victim to the numbers game esp when justin and ray come back but again that is whey i defer to fellow posters

then again, this year we got a lot of good depth (draft / free agents). there's gonna be cuts that are gonna make some fans boo hoo. i can't imagine front office sticking okoye on the practice squad after all the time spent on him and his (potentially) high ceiling... injured reserve or he gets on 53 because of injuries/cuts.

98 Lawrence Okoye – First play he fired up field at RDE and pinched outside/in forcing the RB inside (good) for a Moody tackle of 1 yard. Next play faked outside, in chasing the QB 12 yards back on a pressure (very well done; great hand work). Next play, got low initially (good), but raised up (bad) and as a result, got pushed backwards badly by #77 through the entire play. He quickly learns on the next play and pushes upfield, disengages the same blocker and makes a ½ tackle for a ½ a yard gain on 2nd and goal from the 5. Good push and handwork on the next play. Monster push up the field on the next series and a blitz off his edge lead to a quick throw and an INT by Cook (had great leverage). Next series, nice push again, played off two blockers and nearly knocked down a pass (good awareness). Another good push on the next but quick pass. Next play he played high and pinched inside, got spun around and pushed back as the RB hit his hole for a first down for 8. It was actually a double team…G pushed his arms up high and at the same time the T fired down into his rib cage and got him spinning and going backwards. That's a hell of a technique…do we do that? Next play he needed to continue to slide down the line like he was doing but play off the block just a tad quicker to make the tackle; The NT Purcell had already been pushed back FIVE yards by this point for a gaping hole. Great job firing through and past the LG, standing the FB up and forcing the RB into a TFL by Borland on that edge (great burst). Double-teamed by the LG/LT on the next but quick pass incomplete. Good hand work all game, playing off the double while keeping his eye on the QB and pushing up field. Lined up wide right of the LT and bull rushed his ass #77 all the way back to the heels of the QB for an official sack by Lemonier. Another great job inside pushing up field forcing the RB inside for a 2 yard gain; this is where he got undercut by Dial; couldn't push off and went down the next play with a legit ankle sprain.

I am just so impressed by this guy. I really hope he makes it. It will be an incredible story if he does.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Okoye = more fans from England... NFL trying to get Europe in the mix... more likes for 49ers in London... good for NFL... still Goodell hatin on Niners.......
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am just so impressed by this guy. I really hope he makes it. It will be an incredible story if he does.

He just might make it. We will keep 6 or 7 d-lineman. Here is how I see the d-line situation:

Locks

1 - J. Smith
2 - McDonald
3 - Dial
4 - Carradine

Likely
5 - TJE
6 - Dobbs

Bubble
7 - Okoye

Slim Chance
8 - Purcell

IR/PUP
9 - Williams
10 - Dorsey

Okoye could make the team as the 7th lineman, possibly even 6th, but I think Dobbs still has the edge. Purcell has a shot if no one else is capable of playing NT, but if Dial and TJE show they can handle it, Purcell is an easy cut. Some interesting decisions will have to be made when/if Williams and Dorsey get back.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by WINiner:

He just might make it. We will keep 6 or 7 d-lineman. Here is how I see the d-line situation:

Locks

1 - J. Smith
2 - McDonald
3 - Dial
4 - Carradine

Likely
5 - TJE
6 - Dobbs

Bubble
7 - Okoye

Slim Chance
8 - Purcell

IR/PUP
9 - Williams
10 - Dorsey

Okoye could make the team as the 7th lineman, possibly even 6th, but I think Dobbs still has the edge. Purcell has a shot if no one else is capable of playing NT, but if Dial and TJE show they can handle it, Purcell is an easy cut. Some interesting decisions will have to be made when/if Williams and Dorsey get back.

I think dobbs gets cut. He always makes the team.but.neverstays healthy during the season...he needed a X-ray after this past game..but I haven't heard why or what they were checking
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I think dobbs gets cut. He always makes the team.but.neverstays healthy during the season...he needed a X-ray after this past game..but I haven't heard why or what they were checking

from what i saw, i'd say he has a decently-bad high ankle sprain. dial really gave his ankle a bad jolt; his foot was planted and his ankle got pushed clockwise to the right. that's quite a torquing of those ligaments in the lower ankle and between the tibia and fibula right above the joint. the clincher for me was the way he reacted when he pushed off on the next play--that's how you react with an high-ankle sprain.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

from what i saw, i'd say he has a decently-bad high ankle sprain. dial really gave his ankle a bad jolt; his foot was planted and his ankle got pushed clockwise to the right. that's quite a torquing of those ligaments in the lower ankle and between the tibia and fibula right above the joint. the clincher for me was the way he reacted when he pushed off on the next play--that's how you react with an high-ankle sprain.

I was talking about dobbs
Share 49ersWebzone