There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CB Marcus Cooper was a Niner

I'm rooting for Cooper to make the squad , a 6-2 CB that runs a 4.4 will always find some work , and I hope he develops into a solid corner and is able to contribute this year ...I'm sure Fangio and the rest of our defensive coaching staff will get the most out of him
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm rooting for Cooper to make the squad , a 6-2 CB that runs a 4.4 will always find some work , and I hope he develops into a solid corner and is able to contribute this year ...I'm sure Fangio and the rest of our defensive coaching staff will get the most out of him

Same here. Hoping the kid makes it. Big CB, hoping he is a gem. If he could turn out well, we could wait to draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd rd in 2014.
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
He's got the size and speed. We'll give him a look because of his measureables. 6-2 190 and a 4.4 40 time is enough to warrant a look in the 7th round. If he couldn't get consistent time at Rutgers tho? Maybe we try him at receiver or as a return guy or special teamer.

The kid is just learning to play CB he started out as a WR and has played DB for less than 2 years...Rutgers has great coaching but also had a lot of depth in the secondary. He appeared to really make an impact when Rutgers started playing him, which is a lot less than if he would have played anywhere else. The kid not onlt has the physical tools but he has a certain competitive that he refuses to be beat
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
He's got the size and speed. We'll give him a look because of his measureables. 6-2 190 and a 4.4 40 time is enough to warrant a look in the 7th round. If he couldn't get consistent time at Rutgers tho? Maybe we try him at receiver or as a return guy or special teamer.

The kid is just learning to play CB he started out as a WR and has played DB for less than 2 years...Rutgers has great coaching but also had a lot of depth in the secondary. He appeared to really make an impact when Rutgers started playing him, which is a lot less than if he would have played anywhere else. The kid not onlt has the physical tools but he has a certain competitive that he refuses to be beat

That's great info! Thanks for the insight...bummer he comes here where we have just as much, if not MORE competition for him. The good news is that we have the time to develop him and next year could end up being ideal for him when many of the vets will leave/are cut.
Good thing they waived him with all the tremendous depth they have at cornerback. Those extra special team players like Osgood are going to be well worth it. This guy basically locked down Victor Cruz, played physical, fast, looked damn good in limited playing time.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good thing they waived him with all the tremendous depth they have at cornerback. Those extra special team players like Osgood are going to be well worth it. This guy basically locked down Victor Cruz, played physical, fast, looked damn good in limited playing time.
Can't win them all. We thought our vets were better. Vic Fangio perhaps ...
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good thing they waived him with all the tremendous depth they have at cornerback. Those extra special team players like Osgood are going to be well worth it. This guy basically locked down Victor Cruz, played physical, fast, looked damn good in limited playing time.
Can't win them all. We thought our vets were better. Vic Fangio perhaps ...


Cooper probably refused to play 20 yards off the ball on third and five.
Yeah, he was beastin today in KC. Can't believe they waived this guy. Especially since our CB core is average at best and could use some youth and speed. Unreal .
I'll be mad as hell if he turns out to be a pretty dominant CB, its only 1 game, who knows how the rest of the season will go but he looked damn good, size, speed and coverage skills.
We will see but would hate to see another Richard Sherman situation. I wanted Sherman coming out and was surprised that we didn't draft any Stanford guys in 2011. Mentioned this before but wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a good physical corner. We should have kept and he would have had a chance at the #2-4 position with us next year with all our FAs and Rogers possibly getting cut if he doesn't restructure. He won't be able to get into a starting roll with Flowers and all the money Sean Smith got. I like Cooper better than Mooris but I guess that's our consolation price. I would have kept one of them over Stupar or Ventrone but that's me. Guess it evens out... hopefully Baldwin works out in our favor since they owe us for Smith and possibly Cooper now. Man Smith I would have thought 2 2nds would have been a steal but so far it's been worth it for them. Also, we got Tenn 3rd next year from moving down from 34 to 40 with KCs 2nd so it's like 2 2nds and a 3rd.


Anyways, unfortunately time to move this into NFL Talk.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
Yup, was pissed we let him walk. I liked both him and Morris. We got played on this one IMHO. But then again, time will tell but I was a huge advocate for keeping him on the 53 after watching him this pre season. Maybe we should just "trust the coaches b/c they know way more than us." LOL
Good to see him playing well, but wish we could have kept him on the squad.
It seems lime those big receivers that turn to play the other side of the ball have a good knact for success in covering receivers. Makes a lot of sense. Maybe we can keep an eye out for those players in the future
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
It seems lime those big receivers that turn to play the other side of the ball have a good knact for success in covering receivers. Makes a lot of sense. Maybe we can keep an eye out for those players in the future

This
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup, was pissed we let him walk. I liked both him and Morris. We got played on this one IMHO. But then again, time will tell but I was a huge advocate for keeping him on the 53 after watching him this pre season. Maybe we should just "trust the coaches b/c they know way more than us." LOL

Even though they do by a long shot doesn't mean they are always right. Many times us fans have been wrong and they have been right but at times we are right and they are wrong. Still I think they are in a better spot to judge. We don't know these guys off the field and we don't get to see all the practices unfortunately.

Anyways, I think the big reason we didn't keep 6 is because we put extra emphasis on ST this year after what happened last year. A lot of spots took hits because we went with a ST guy. Right now we have like twice as many ST's guys as last year. Also, didn't seem likely we would keep 6 CB and only 4 S although I would have been fine with Spillman and Dahl since they can back up both spots. Don't think we had room for 11 either. Ventrone seems to be Seely's guy and Lee's favorite personal punt protector so I guess he stayed. I don't know if he's worth 880k though. I guess we can't have it both ways... not enough ST emphasis, too much ST emphasis.....