There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

BJ's Bang Bus of Ball Busting

• buck
  • Veteran
Coach Jim Harbaugh announced rookie QB B.J. Daniels' practice reps will be increased this week so he's on equal footing with Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien.

In other words, Daniels is being given a legitimate chance to win primary backup duties behind Colin Kaepernick. Although Daniels took two sacks in Friday's preseason game against the Chiefs, he completed 67 percent of his nine pass attempts and threw a 14-yard TD strike to Chuck Jacobs. Under QB mastermind Harbaugh, Daniels is now worth grabbing in all deep Dynasty leagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/266650/49ers-send-manningham-to-reservepup-list
Originally posted by buck:
Coach Jim Harbaugh announced rookie QB B.J. Daniels' practice reps will be increased this week so he's on equal footing with Colt McCoy and Scott Tolzien.

In other words, Daniels is being given a legitimate chance to win primary backup duties behind Colin Kaepernick. Although Daniels took two sacks in Friday's preseason game against the Chiefs, he completed 67 percent of his nine pass attempts and threw a 14-yard TD strike to Chuck Jacobs. Under QB mastermind Harbaugh, Daniels is now worth grabbing in all deep Dynasty leagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/266650/49ers-send-manningham-to-reservepup-list

Good. Give him an equal chance along with those guys, I still see him winding up as the #3, but with a crapload of talent, he should get every opportunity to put it on display.
I almost don't get it. I thought Daniels was already "even" with the other two. And then I kept getting pissed because he wasn't being put in the game.

It just seemed to me that Daniels has a dynamic abilty and should have been given a shot earlier instead of the favortism that I thought was on display. But maybe I'm wrong. I love the coaches and trust them.

But now with this news that his reps will increase, I feel like almost like "told you so" and how come you didn't see his strengths are more notable than what McCoy and Tolzien are showing in practice. The guy needs some coaching because he's primed, fresh and hungry. The other guys are already what they are and don't seem to be standing out at all. (Practice notes and definitely not games.)
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I almost don't get it. I thought Daniels was already "even" with the other two. And then I kept getting pissed because he wasn't being put in the game.

It just seemed to me that Daniels has a dynamic abilty and should have been given a shot earlier instead of the favortism that I thought was on display. But maybe I'm wrong. I love the coaches and trust them.

But now with this news that his reps will increase, I feel like almost like "told you so" and how come you didn't see his strengths are more notable than what McCoy and Tolzien are showing in practice. The guy needs some coaching because he's primed, fresh and hungry. The other guys are already what they are and don't seem to be standing out at all. (Practice notes and definitely not games.)

Once again, there's no way to know that, regardless of what reports the beat writers give about practices, there's no way to tell how the coaches feel about a particular player just based on that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Once again, there's no way to know that, regardless of what reports the beat writers give about practices, there's no way to tell how the coaches feel about a particular player just based on that.

Agreed, McCoy has starter experience, Tolz has 2 years in this offense, and BJ is a rookie. Its only logical they would allot playing time in that order.

Harbaugh said it. I cant remember when. It was recently. Maybe a day, two, or three before our first game. Its fine, but I can see that Daniels is a much better football 'player ' than Tolzien and can help this team on gameday so Im really hoping he is given a fair shot at the #2, because I think he'll take it if given the chance.

I know it was a small sample size but he handled his presnap reads with poise and knew where to go with his reads--even after the couple sacks he took. He boasts so much confidence. He needs to be developed and not at punt returner either
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

#49ers QB B.J. Daniels was not uniform, but in weight room at start of practice. Was running to locker room at end of media availability ..

... Daniels appears OK. S Darcel McBath, LB Nate Stupar and DT Lamar Divens not practicing. McBath had boot on left foot earlier today.

RT @jomolungma: Daniels is Ok as in practicing, or ok as in not significant injury? << Not serious injury. #49ers
[ Edited by Jcool on Aug 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

#49ers QB B.J. Daniels was not uniform, but in weight room at start of practice. Was running to locker room at end of media availability ..

... Daniels appears OK. S Darcel McBath, LB Nate Stupar and DT Lamar Divens not practicing. McBath had boot on left foot earlier today.

RT @jomolungma: Daniels is Ok as in practicing, or ok as in not significant injury? << Not serious injury. #49ers

Wait, hold up, let me get this straight, a guy who had the reputation of being injury-prone in college might still be injury-prone in the pro's?

Best to hold off on making him the starting QB I guess.
Tolzien survived Josh Johnson last year because Johnson was slated to make about 4x as much as Tolzien...certainly wasn't because of Tolzien's performance, because Johnson was clearly the better of the two. This year Tolzien doesn't have that luxury of battling a high-priced vet for the #3...and of course that's making the big assumption that McCoy is the #2.

I'd like to see Daniels get some snaps earlier in the game vs. more starters/2nd team, but from the little we got to see Friday there's a lot to like. If he does perform well the rest of preseason games/camp, I wonder if they'd actually pull the trigger on making him the #2...he does seem more suited to step in and run the read-option more effectively than the other two. Doubtful it would happen, but with as less-than-good that McCoy and Tolzien have looked, combined with the fact we know Harbaugh isn't afraid of making bold moves, I wouldn't fall over dead from shock.
Originally posted by 5280High:

Agreed, McCoy has starter experience, Tolz has 2 years in this offense, and BJ is a rookie. Its only logical they would allot playing time in that order.

Your probably right but I hope not. If that's the case, Daniels doesn't get to come in til 4th string maybe 3rd. Then if he has the same performance or better, it'll be blamed on the level of talent he played against. He played decent against the bottom of the roster already. We need to see Daniels against better talent to truly judge his skill. Tolzein had two games & McCoy had 1.5 game. They both showed basically the same thing. Inconsistency, lack of arm strength, can't keep drives going & no TDs'. The other rookies are taking advantage of their chance, let's see what Daniels can do with his.
[ Edited by calinig4life on Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM ]
The Order of the QB's should be. #1 Colin Kapernick #2 Colt McCoy #3 B.J. Daniels
Originally posted by 69MiNdFrEaK69:
The Order of the QB's should be. #1 Colin Kapernick #2 Colt McCoy #3 B.J. Daniels

Yup
Originally posted by buck:

Thank goodness. That's all I wanted. Take him out of the RB and WR drills and let him concentrate fully at quarterback.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
"Scott and Colt had been getting the same amount of reps (this summer), B.J. a little less than those two," Harbaugh said. "And this week, plan on evening it up across the board."

Daniels says he's not concerned with where his snaps come. Like most rookies, he's just trying to make the team. The 49ers will make their first roster cuts after Sunday's exhibition against Minnesota.

"I'm flying around the field and doing special teams and things like that, so it's not even something I'm really focused on," Daniels said. "I'm a competitor. As long as I can compete, whatever coaches ask me to do as a quarterback or any other position, I'm just going to try to master my techniques and fundamentals so I can be a good player and become a better quarterback."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9579737/bj-daniels-climbing-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback-depth-chart
Wait, hold up, let me get this straight, a guy who had the reputation of being injury-prone in college might still be injury-prone in the pro's?

Best to hold off on making him the starting QB I guess.

name one person who wants daniels to be the starting qb?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home