LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't expect it, but man I am really hoping for a big game out of Dial today. It would be amazing if a star was born this afternoon....we are so damn banged up on the D-line.
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
University of Alabama is a pro team so he's had professional training for a while at the position

The emocon at the end is throwing me off. Are you being serious or are you mocking people that believe that?

An elite nose tackle would go a long way in our division. We haven't had someone who can collapse the pocket in a very long time. Soap was a very good run stuffer and held the point of attack, but he wouldn't collapse a pocket. If the Niners are smart, we'd get someone that can collapse the pocket. Could you imagine a Aldon, Brooks on the edges with no pocket to step up into? Devastating.

being serious
I don't watch college ball, but doesn't Saban run a legit 3-4 defense?
Yeah Bama runs pro style ...both sides of the ball. No gimmicks, no frills
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
University of Alabama is a pro team so he's had professional training for a while at the position

The emocon at the end is throwing me off. Are you being serious or are you mocking people that believe that?

An elite nose tackle would go a long way in our division. We haven't had someone who can collapse the pocket in a very long time. Soap was a very good run stuffer and held the point of attack, but he wouldn't collapse a pocket. If the Niners are smart, we'd get someone that can collapse the pocket. Could you imagine a Aldon, Brooks on the edges with no pocket to step up into? Devastating.

being serious
I don't watch college ball, but doesn't Saban run a legit 3-4 defense?
Yeah Bama runs pro style ...both sides of the ball. No gimmicks, no frills

I don't watch as much college ball as I used to but it's just sad what Saban and Alabama do to mortal teams. Just sad.
Most Bama defensive and offensive linemen have been at least decent in the NFL. They have seven defensive tackles/nose tackles (including Dial) on active NFL rosters. Not to mention seven offensive linemen on active NFL rosters. Once you drill deeper into the numbers and look at the amount of SEC offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL on active rosters, it just gets ridiculous. I have no doubt Dial was playing against, and with the best defensive linemen at this collegiate level while he was at Bama. Keep in mind he is going up against a former teammate in Chance Warrmack.
Originally posted by LESLEE415:
I THINK U GUYS ARE FORGETTIN THAT TJE AND DIAL ARE GOIN UP AGAINST A ROOKIE CENTER, THEY WILL PROBABLY BOTH EXCEL. GOT A GOOD FEELIN ABOUT DIAL, PURE RAW TALENT.. LEGOOOOOOO 9ERS

I am sure that this will be tested. Good luck in fixing that CAPS key issue
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I am sure that this will be tested. Good luck in fixing that CAPS key issue

IM AT WORK, I HAVE TO USE CAPS FOR MY DOCS

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 9ERSSSSSSS
Originally posted by NCommand:

This! The pressure is almost always there on the outside...we have to use MLB blitzes with Bowman to garner any inside pressure (step-up lanes) and that is very very effective b/c of the outside pressure.

I just wish those who use the we don't play the NT that much argument could see this. If we had a NT that was a force in the passing game, you would truly see a defense for the ages. I bet Carlos Rogers and Tarrell Brown would make All-Pro as well .
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:

This! The pressure is almost always there on the outside...we have to use MLB blitzes with Bowman to garner any inside pressure (step-up lanes) and that is very very effective b/c of the outside pressure.

I just wish those who use the we don't play the NT that much argument could see this. If we had a NT that was a force in the passing game, you would truly see a defense for the ages. I bet Carlos Rogers and Tarrell Brown would make All-Pro as well .

If only we had a Wilfork...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am just glad we got a healthy body on the d line. what ever he does today that is remotely positive is gravy. i really hope we do not see alot of negative threads calling the kid a bust tonight, if he messes up a couple times today
Isn't Wilfork injured and out?

Originally posted by GNielsen:

Yes, but I said "a Wilfork" as in a Wilfork type player.
Originally posted by trellblaze:

Right. I'm sure we all agree. But, let's keep a good thought. Dial may end up being that kind of player and a real steal. He's got the size. He's taller than a Wilfork, but that doesn't mean he can't hold his ground against two blockers. The scouting report says he's good at getting low despite his height.

Right. I'm sure we all agree. But, let's keep a good thought. Dial may end up being that kind of player and a real steal. He's got the size. He's taller than a Wilfork, but that doesn't mean he can't hold his ground against two blockers. The scouting report says he's good at getting low despite his height.

No doubt we hope he's a surprise steal but I don't see him getting too many opportunities right away unless J-E struggles against the run today. He will definitely be closely watched every snap he plays though.

No doubt we hope he's a surprise steal but I don't see him getting too many opportunities right away unless J-E struggles against the run today. He will definitely be closely watched every snap he plays though.

He's supposed to be a great run stuffer, which is what we need. Lets remember that "Wilfork-type" players are extremely rare. Guys that can be both NT's but rush like DE's are Wilfork, Ngata, and this year Poe has broken out... but there are not many to even come out of the past few drafts. Guys like Atkins are more of a 4-3 DT, not that NT beast everyone is salavating for and their is an extremely high bust rate for those kinds of guys drafted early as well.
He probly won't play with Dorsey starting today.
Share 49ersWebzone