There are 148 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Yep, Dorsey was definitely a lifesaver last year. I just can't see the team spending much resigning him when Dial and Williams are on the roster on the cheap. It's probably the least important position of any of the starters since we're in base defense so infrequently.

understand. i do not know a base defense from a triangle and one or diamond and four .. but if justin retires would that have an impact on whether or not they keep dorsey?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
.....if justin retires would that have an impact on whether or not they keep dorsey?

If he retires in 2015 that would free up $4,250,000 in Cap Space and leave us with $2,186,668 in Dead Money. It is anybody´s guess how that money would be used. Dorsey is a possibility.
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM ]
  • thl408
Yep, Dorsey was definitely a lifesaver last year. I just can't see the team spending much resigning him when Dial and Williams are on the roster on the cheap. It's probably the least important position of any of the starters since we're in base defense so infrequently.

Is Dial being groomed to play NT? He seems too tall (6' 6"). Although if he's strong enough to hold his position despite being so tall, I guess it doesn't matter. I don't remember him playing NT last season.

I feel Dorsey, although he is mainly the NT in the base 3-4, and only plays about 40% of the defensive snaps, plays an extremely important role. In order to get to 3rd and 'pass it', the base 3-4 needs to do its job on 1st and 2nd down in order to force 3rd and 'pass it', where the nickel package comes in (and Dorsey leaves the field). If the opposing offense gets into 3rd and short, then he would probably have more snaps since the opposing offense may stay in their base package to threaten run or pass. So it's as if the less he plays, the better of a job the 3-4 personnel is doing.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I thought NT was all Dial has been playing? Didn't even realize they were trying him out DT or DE.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
My take is that Dials primary role will be as 3-4 DE though he could play NT in a pinch if Dorsey goes down. Similar to Tony Jerod-Eddie.
[ Edited by DeUh on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM ]
  • thl408
I thought NT was all Dial has been playing? Didn't even realize they were trying him out DT or DE.

The bulk of his snaps from last season came in the TEN and JAC games. I'll try to post some clips/pics of Dial tonight. He was lining up at DE from what I remember. You got me doubting my memory now.
His limited snaps were at DE. He only played DE at Bama. I think he's going to be a run stuffer. His length and strength make him really stout at the point and at 6'5 it will be easier for him to get leverage on the G/T. He's not going to bring much on the rush but he could easily take 1/3 of the DE snaps to preserve Tank/linemen X. That is once Cowboy retires.
Originally posted by DeUh:
My take is that Dials primary role will be as 3-4 DE though he could play NT in a pinch if Dorsey goes down. Similar to Tony Jerod-Eddie.

This. But pretty much 3rd string NT behind Dorsey and TJE... and Williams when he returns.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Don't know why I thought he was a NT. Guess it's cause he looked slow to me last year when he played and the reports were calling him more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher. But yeah, he's listed as a DE on ESPN.
[ Edited by Disp on Aug 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
if he's worth it, this year will make a world of difference. he had a year to train, to study and to be around the team. let's hope these guys who didn't get to play last year are hungrier and eager to prove they can contribute and be stars too. i kind of like that dynamic with our team, rookies aren't handed ANYTHING so people make the most of their reps.. see tje and dobbs.

Man, has this come true or what? It seems like our "red shirt" guys are coming out firing and ready to go! It makes perfect sense in the NFL too b/c rookies have SO much to digest and if they can just have a year to digest the playbook, learn from the pro's, be in meetings, work out, diet right, rehab properly (including all the surrounding areas making them even stronger), etc. when they hit the field "officially" for the first time, they are miles ahead of where they were when they first entered the NFL. Pretty awesome...

and the 49ers get an extra year if they don't practice or play in their first year. I'm really looking forward to that first preseason game.

Dial was on the 53 man for a while last year. He has one year accrued on his contract.

Darn!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
This is probably Dorsey's last year with the team, and we don't know if Ian Williams will ever be the same. I think it's pretty safe to say that he'll make the team if he keeps up like he has in preseason.

I unfortunately agree. I hope he fully recovers but I've seen good players who had their career ended by that kind of injury.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Don't know why I thought he was a NT. Guess it's cause he looked slow to me last year when he played and the reports were calling him more of a run stuffer than a pass rusher. But yeah, he's listed as a DE on ESPN.

Dial didn't impress me when he played last year. But there are a lot of stories which say he's loads better than last year. He's another player I'm looking forward to seeing improve his game in pre-season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by eonblue:
His limited snaps were at DE. He only played DE at Bama. I think he's going to be a run stuffer. His length and strength make him really stout at the point and at 6'5 it will be easier for him to get leverage on the G/T. He's not going to bring much on the rush but he could easily take 1/3 of the DE snaps to preserve Tank/linemen X. That is once Cowboy retires.

If he can play a role similar to Red Bryant, that would be excellent. Just occupy space and hold ground on 1st and 2nd downs.
This pick is scouting 101 and if he turns out to be a better than average player it's just another example of what a strong staff we have when it comes to the defensive side of the rock. Dial was a late round pick that didn't play a whole lot at Alabama (a role player). Analysts predicted he was just D line depth to help against the run. Now the reports are showing that he's been a beast to guard even showing some quickness and pass rush ability. I don't know if his toe injury was bothering him in college or not and he just sucked it up. The real test will come week 1 but for now arrow up and important especially if Ian Williams isn't at full strength to start the year. We fell off a bit against the run last year partially to Justin's bad shoulder and some of it to a light line. Dial gives us that bigger body in the middle and if he can add any rush with the guys on the outside good luck to opposing offenses who try to throw in running situations. With a year of experience and being healthy now while being coached and being on an NFL training program it shows you how important the scouts and coaches are to be able to look at a guy's tape and project his ability and what you can get out of them combined with the things I just mentioned. If it works out credit to the scouting and coaching staff working together.
I understand he plays DE but I think at his size he can easily become a starting NT especially if he works out. You have The Tank at DE and if Dorsey needs a break and Williams can't go I like Eddie at DE and Dial on the inside. Either way the Niners aren't just deep they may actually have 6 starters that's what you call quality depth.
Share 49ersWebzone