There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE WAS a 49er!

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Lattimore needs to take 50% of the RB carries. Gore can take 30% and Hunter 20%.

I love Gore so much, but he sure did look slow last year.

No. Gore should remain the feature back, unless someone takes it from him. Still was a top 10 back in the league last year.

I'm not saying the job should be handed to Lattimore. What I was saying was I would prefer to see Lattimore take it and add some more playmaking ability to the offense. Gore is a great hammer for 4-5 yards but he does not have the same ability he used to. His 4.1 avg last year was the 2nd worst of his career and I believe that number fell to around 3.5ish in the playoffs. We need another back to split carries. Whether its Lattimore, Hunter or a new guy. I feel that is what our running game needs.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice...so at the end of the day, we have a chance to upgrade maybe Patton and McDonald and Gore. Gore will not go down w/o a fight though so Lattimore/Hampton/Draft/Hunter/James will have to earn the trust of the coaches. And let's be honest, this coaching staff, aside from Reid (where he would have started either way), rookie's, no matter where they are drafted, just aren't going to get much, if any PT. And is a rookie WR (even first round) really going to warrant PT over Boldin & Crabtree? We also use VD/McDonald in the slot and out at WR as well. We have a 350 page playbook so unless a first round rookie comes in a blows Patton out of the water AND is an excellent return man, he isn't going to see the field until a year or two down the road when Crabtree/Boldin's leave/contract expires. That said, I do expect Boldin's numbers to drop WAY off now that Crabtree is back to health and the #1. So perhaps the FO can convince him to mentor and help develop a young #1 WR draft pick? The bottom line is, it's going to be hard to get anyone else on the field esp. given our current personnel and offensive philosophy (i.e. power running game + intermediate passing game).

I think every running back on the Niners, possibly with the exception of LMJ, understands that they just can't get in the game if they can't block pass rushers. So any optimism I might have about Lattimore is dependent on whether or not he does that well. Understand that one of my favorite players ever is Frank Gore, but it's just not hard to notice that he has lost more than a couple steps. If Lattimore can block well enough to play, he's going to outrun some linebackers and get more yards when he hits the hole. As far as receivers are concerned, I agree with you, but it kind of depends on the receiver. If they draft a guy who can run routes, block and has elite speed, my guess is that they'll try to work him in. And, my guess is that the offensive philosophy and system is not as static as we may think. It may be all part and parcel of the development of Kaepernick, that is, the more they think he's ready to be a pocket passer going through multiple reads, the more multiple reads they'll give him. We'll see.
i think Lattimore is more replacing Gore than he is James/Dixon.
(At least in the long run)
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Feb 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I wouldn't mind drafting Carlos Hyde and JC Copeland (500 lbs combined), especially if we lose Dixon and James.

Liked the Hyde pick too till i remembered we still have Jewell Hampton. I think they will give him a shot first in case Gore or Lattimore dont work out as he is also a power back with good vision.
I´m high on Copeland. He is a monster in both blocking and as runner in small yardage situations !
Originally posted by crake49:
I think every running back on the Niners, possibly with the exception of LMJ, understands that they just can't get in the game if they can't block pass rushers. So any optimism I might have about Lattimore is dependent on whether or not he does that well. Understand that one of my favorite players ever is Frank Gore, but it's just not hard to notice that he has lost more than a couple steps. If Lattimore can block well enough to play, he's going to outrun some linebackers and get more yards when he hits the hole. As far as receivers are concerned, I agree with you, but it kind of depends on the receiver. If they draft a guy who can run routes, block and has elite speed, my guess is that they'll try to work him in. And, my guess is that the offensive philosophy and system is not as static as we may think. It may be all part and parcel of the development of Kaepernick, that is, the more they think he's ready to be a pocket passer going through multiple reads, the more multiple reads they'll give him. We'll see.

Sooo true and Gore is the best in the game. Although Hunter is very very good as well. But no question, he's going to have to be a 4-threat: (1) Inside runner (2) Off-tackle runner (3) Pass catcher (maybe not in this offense) and (4) Pass protector.

As far as the rookie WR and offensive system, man, you KNOW I'm hoping your are dead on on this one! And I do certainly agree that CK may also play a big part in the "comfort" of HaRoMan calling more and more PS plays and getting more receivers involved (though I wonder of those receivers will still be more of guys such as Miller, McDonald, Patton, etc.).
Sooo true and Gore is the best in the game. Although Hunter is very very good as well. But no question, he's going to have to be a 4-threat: (1) Inside runner (2) Off-tackle runner (3) Pass catcher (maybe not in this offense) and (4) Pass protector.

As far as the rookie WR and offensive system, man, you KNOW I'm hoping your are dead on on this one! And I do certainly agree that CK may also play a big part in the "comfort" of HaRoMan calling more and more PS plays and getting more receivers involved (though I wonder of those receivers will still be more of guys such as Miller, McDonald, Patton, etc.).

We're going to know a lot more by the end of the first draft day. If one of those first three picks is a speed guy, that will say a lot. If they trade UP for a receiver that will say even more.

We're going to know a lot more by the end of the first draft day. If one of those first three picks is a speed guy, that will say a lot. If they trade UP for a receiver that will say even more.

You may very well be right on again on this one...and I haven't even considered the possibility of a quality veteran WR who is out there and willing to take less money to play for a Championship caliber team. The future's so bright, ya gotta wear
You may very well be right on again on this one...and I haven't even considered the possibility of a quality veteran WR who is out there and willing to take less money to play for a Championship caliber team. The future's so bright, ya gotta wear

A quality veteran willing to take less money? I suppose it's possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. But I'm with you 100%. I see great things ahead for this Niners team.
Can't wait to see what the hype about with his kid is, hope he stays healthy and has a great career as a Niner.
I also like Kadeem Carey, if we could draft that kid from the U of A, him and Lattimore can battle it out for franchise runningback of the next decade.
I guess my over-arching problem with this line of thinking is that having even the best players doesn't guarantee anything. Do you think this team is "stacked?" I think it's a real good team. But I keep reminding people that the Niners team in 1985, 86 and 87 had the greatest receiver of all time complimented by probably the best #2 the team has ever had, Joe Montana under center, Ronnie Lott in the secondary, two pro-bowl corners, Craig and Rathman at running back, a great offensive line and a great defense - they were one and done in the playoffs every one of those years. And then in 88, they went to 6-5 before they turned it around and went on an awesome run.

So, I just never get this expectation some fans have these days that they somehow SHOULD be winning a championship because it's a good team. But, to answer your question, this year Seattle had one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. They completely shut down the highest scoring offense in the history of the game.

1) The 49ers grotesque underperformance in those years is why Walsh quit. The 9ers easily could have won the super bowl every year from 81 -90 (except 82 and the 49-3 Giants shellacking). Why do you even bring this up? It's rude. For people who remember.

2) Don't hyperbolize the seahawks. Not one of the greatest of all time. Although denver sure made them look like the greatest d of all time. Denver has a habit of doing that in the super bowl -- losing by catastrophic proportions.

My point is if seattle can win with tate, baldwin, Kearse and two tight ends I can't even remember, why do we need more than Davis, Boldin, Crabs, McD, Patton, Gore, Hunter, James out of the back and manningham or whoever might fill in for manningham if he can't make it back?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
1) The 49ers grotesque underperformance in those years is why Walsh quit. The 9ers easily could have won the super bowl every year from 81 -90 (except 82 and the 49-3 Giants shellacking). Why do you even bring this up? It's rude. For people who remember.

2) Don't hyperbolize the seahawks. Not one of the greatest of all time. Although denver sure made them look like the greatest d of all time. Denver has a habit of doing that in the super bowl -- losing by catastrophic proportions.

My point is if seattle can win with tate, baldwin, Kearse and two tight ends I can't even remember, why do we need more than Davis, Boldin, Crabs, McD, Patton, Gore, Hunter, James out of the back and manningham or whoever might fill in for manningham if he can't make it back?
SEA didn't have to face the same defense that SF and DEN faced. We had weapons and DEN had weapons but SEA defense was just better. We can't stand pat because we have talent now. We have to improve both our talent and our performance. Coach better QB better get open better make plays better. We need to draft a couple WRs that can give us more of what we need in SEA!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM ]
We're in a tough position at the rb spot imo. Gore is getting old, lmj and hunter arent starting back material, and who knows how will Lattimore play.

Do we draft a rb high or....
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
We're in a tough position at the rb spot imo. Gore is getting old, lmj and hunter arent starting back material, and who knows how will Lattimore play.

if we dont get a great RB we will turn into a pass first team like the saints or pats. we'll use our RBs on screens and short routs and still have the dual threat of kaep running.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

if we dont get a great RB we will turn into a pass first team like the saints or pats. we'll use our RBs on screens and short routs and still have the dual threat of kaep running.

I won't mind this happening. But is Roman capable of doing that? I guess we will find out if it was Kaps limitations or Romans incompetence next season.