There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE WAS a 49er!

#34 is retired by the 49ers correct? I see #'s 20-33 are also taken. 38 was the number of rushing touchdowns marcus had at SC in his career. Also the # that Heisman trophy winning runningback and former gamecock George Rogers wore, who won the award in 1980.

[ Edited by 49erGamecock on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM ]
hope he changes his number

38 is ugly on a RB
It won't be on Lattimore! Rookie numbers are often subject to change. With Bykowski and Dial both wearing no. 71, their numbers may not be determined until the final roster is set. Aldon Smith started his career in 48 before switching to 99 . Anthony Dixon initially wore 33 before changing to 24.Nnamdi Asomugha will be wearing 24, but that number is also only temporary. I do think Lattimore will keep #38 though based on what I mentioned in my previous post.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Rookies-Select-Numbers/8f7ecef2-c923-47f3-bde6-3c2fcf0c91f5
[ Edited by 49erGamecock on May 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM ]
Lattimore's style reminds me more of AP... an upright runner, who has no problem going East / West but prefers going downhill and dips his shoulder upon contact to gain the extra yard.

Gore runs lower to the ground IMO, like Ray Rice... Lattimore is a bigger, taller back.
Gore will show him how to torpedo for few more yards inside. I see Hunter is trying to do the same thing. I hope Lattimore doesn't lose too much speed to the injury. He makes that cut through the hole -- he's gone. Good vision.
Before Frank tore his Knee the first time he was a blazer, thats what was so special about him. He was Emitt Smith with speed. Man the whole state of florida knew of him. He changed his whole style after both knees. Geez I think he avg over 8 yrds a carry at one point in Miami. Lattimore is a beast but only a 4.9 avg in his time at SC. they did run the ball a ton though. I actually pray he gets some of his old self back, but its highly unlikely hell ever be quite the same. Same with Alex and his shoulder. He has adequate arm strength but its not quite what it was. I imagine if he had never had surgery and fully physically developed like he is now he could straight rip it. Man was he a skinny 20 year old when he was drafted. Good luck Marcus
Its true that numbers often change (Ronnie Lott wore #24), I don't think this ones gonna change.

1) What numbers in the 20s can become available? 20, 24, 26, 28. I think Cox makes the team, Nnamdi already has dibs on 24, and Reid has already said 35 is temporary...my guess is he's waiting for 26 or 28.

2) Even if he wants to change...a number of other players will have the chance to change before he does.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Before Frank tore his Knee the first time he was a blazer, thats what was so special about him. He was Emitt Smith with speed. Man the whole state of florida knew of him. He changed his whole style after both knees. Geez I think he avg over 8 yrds a carry at one point in Miami. Lattimore is a beast but only a 4.9 avg in his time at SC. they did run the ball a ton though. I actually pray he gets some of his old self back, but its highly unlikely hell ever be quite the same. Same with Alex and his shoulder. He has adequate arm strength but its not quite what it was. I imagine if he had never had surgery and fully physically developed like he is now he could straight rip it. Man was he a skinny 20 year old when he was drafted. Good luck Marcus

I see your point...but those Miami teams were insanely talented and were like a pro team playing against college teams. It was also an exteremely small sample size for Gore.

BTW...if you wanna see Frank at Miami, I did a vid quite awhile back with some Miami footage. He looks pretty much like the same Frank to me...just thinner. You can tell the after injury stuff because he's heavier and is wearing #3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCpNHzRasM&list=UUnkbBO1K0ldD-mYrAPeGp_g&index=8

Lattimore didn't have close to the same talent around him.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on May 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM ]
The endorsements just keep on coming for Lattimore. Not bad for a 4th round pick. Under Armour, EAS Sports Nutrition, Verizon Wireless, Garnet and Black Traditions, GTSM, and Select Health of South Carolina already.

[ Edited by 49erGamecock on May 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
He looks real good, but he doesn't look like Frank Gore to me. I don't see that jump-spin Barry Sanders-like move that Gore always did so well. But, what you do see with Lattimore is a lot of power and he really hits the hole quickly. There's no dancing around at all.

yea frank is going to be hard to replace imo, great natural instincts, hope this kid can step into that role when the time comes.
[ Edited by PRIMETIME21 on May 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
Your absolutely right about the talent part, but its been said many times and by Frank himself. He was running 4.3 , 4.4 before injury. He had talent around him but it was definitely not on the OL. Actually they were not that great on the OL at all and Brock Berlin struggled as well. Those RBs did alot on their own. Anyway I root for Marcus big time. But he is no Frank Gore. That dude was a Florida legend. Old M F's sit around on their decks in the Florida summer heat sippin on their drinks and talk about the time they saw Frank Gore play. That is no lie either. He is almost a myth down there. I follow alot of High school football and i dont want to put him in Marcus Dupree level but the stories you heard were a little similar.

"Before the knee injuries I ran a 4.4," Gore said in an interview with Miami-Hurricanes.com on Oct. 8, 2004. "I've got the same game speed as before, but can always improve. I'm not back 100 percent, but I'm real close. I'm just working hard in the weight room and at practice." --Quote by Frank Gore

Dude rushed for 3000yrds his senior year in Highschool. wow
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The thing that I notice about Lattimore is, he just makes some things look really easy. He breaks a ton of tackles, but it isn't flashy high impact collisions, it's just that he runs through tackles... defenders just seem to slide off of him. This is a good thing because it doesn't slow him down much. He also combines subtle shiftiness with the ability to take the correct angle of attack on defenders, either making them miss completely or putting him in superior position to break tackles.

These qualities should help him in the NFL because he isn't fast, but is extremely efficient in the way he runs. He doesn't wast time dancing, he just keeps his feet moving forward. Should be a perfect fit in the 49ers run scheme.

I'm so glad that we drafted him. I was going to root for the kid no matter where he landed, but now not only is he on my favorite team he is in the best situation for his career.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
It appears that Marcus Lattimore is good at football. I appreciate that he is a member of our football team. I also appreciate that he is not a member of another football team.
Lattimore is going to surprise some of you guys doubting him. I saw many of his games and he is faster than you'd think.
Congratulations San Francisco and Marcus! The best of all possible outcomes. I have always been a SC and 49er fan. This just makes it all the better. Ya'll got a very good running back and an outstanding young man. WIN WIN! Everyone loves Mr. Lattimore, especially the kids of SC!

http://www.app.com/VideoNetwork/2240898073001/After-major-knee-injury-Marcus-Lattimore-coaches-kids
[ Edited by whirledps on May 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM ]