There are 184 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MARCUS LATTIMORE WAS a 49er!

Originally posted by Garcia:
Is it me, or does ML have a eerily similar running style to Frank Gore? Only bigger stronger and probably a tad faster too?

Its just you. Lattimore runs with really good balance and power two things Frank does as well but his vision is nowhere in the same vicinity as Franks nor is his cutting ability. Some of the holes his lineman were opening up were huge and yet he'd still plow into lineman and make runs a lot harder than they needed to be. He will get better in all these areas but vision is something you have or you don't have. Listen, I like Lattimore a lot and I'm not saying he has no vision, he just doesn't have what Frank has and he probably never will. Still a great pick and if he can get healthy he'll be a very good back for us and hopefully for quite a few years! GO NINERS!
chances are he'll coming back a bit slower but a bit bigger, we need a north-south back so it's all good.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I think Lattimore will be a good back, but I don't think he's a special back. He doesn't seem to really be elite at anything. He just seems solid all around. People keep saying he's the next Gore, but I think Gore is/was a much better back. Gore runs with much better pad level and I think hits the holes much quicker. Gore is so special because of his tremendous vision and ability to be patient, set up blocks, and hit the hole immediately. Not sure if Lattimore has that ability. I hope he does.

It doesn't look like Lattimore has much power for being over 220 pounds. His legs look kind of weak, kinda like Darren Mcfadden type of legs. He's not all that fast and not really a homerun threat. He runs high a lot and just overall doesn't look all that explosive.

Just an observation of mine. I think he'll be a good back, but I don't think he's really a game changer. Wish he was the next Adrian Peterson, Lesean Mccoy, or MJD, but I just don't really see amazing plays out of him.

Somebody tell me that I'm trippin and he's going to be a complete stud that scares the s**t out of defenses.

With what little I have seen from lattimore what impresses me is that he seems like he is just a very good all around everydown back. At 220 a 4.5 time is pretty quick, and his first cut is a commanding one . Seems like the kind of guy who can get you the short yard situations as well as average over five yards per carry. He doesn't dazzle per say but with hunter and James will form the best rb team in the nfl for years to come...
Yeah I agree with all that. How do you know he has 4.5 speed? Did he ever run?

Originally posted by RY4N:
I'm not sure where anyone heard about ML running with a high pad level. If you want to get an idea of what kind of running back Lattimore is molded to do in a game when he is 100%, maybe one of the best examples is his 2010 game against the Georgia Bulldogs. Only his second game in a college jersey, as a true freshman he had 37 carries, 182 yards, 2 TD (avg 4.9 ypc), 1 rec for 16 yards and broke 42 tackles! Yes, he broke more tackles than he had carries. To me anyways, I think he runs with great vision, patience, power, and realizes where he needs to make his first cut quicker than most any back. Which is probably the biggest concern about not rushing him back, so he can get his "first cut ability" back. Any highlight of Lattimore playing at South Carolina, you have to realize he was doing great things behind a poor to average, at best, offensive line. And SEC teams front seven aren't exactly forgiving. From what I know, the 49ers have one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in the NFL. So I can only imagine that as long as that's the case, ML will have a chance to do great things when he's at full health.

His running style isn't going allow him to break 80+ yard TDs or burn many sub 4.4 corners, but he sure as hell will run over one. This guy is tailor-made to physically punish and drain a defense. One thing everyone notices is that when the game gets into the 4th quarter, and everyones slowing down and getting weaker, Lattimore gets stronger. It's almost a super-human thing to watch. Here I will leave a video of every carry Lattimore had in the 2010 Georgia game I was talking about. Pardon the quality/music but this will really give you an idea of what this guy is meant to do for the 49ers for many years to come.

Based off your analysis, it sounds like hes kind of in the Jerry Rice mold. Not overly physically impressive, but very good all around and only gets better as the game goes on because of his tremendous work ethic.
wow, dude looks like he's running down hill on just about everyone of those carries. You'd think he'd lose his balance.
How is Lattimore in pass protection?
  • RY4N
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

He's very solid in pass protection. At times, he weighed in around 235 so he's a pretty big boy to try to shove around.

Also, he's never been and never will be a speed back. If you do want to categorize him, he is that north-south type of back, but has a lot of football quickness. He is not going to ever shy away from contact and the injuries he's suffered are not going to ever cause him to "play scared." Out of the 100-200 or so times over the past few seasons South Carolina's offense was in 3rd and 3 or shorter everyone knew Lattimore was getting the ball. I saw him not convert maybe a dozen times.

Here's a quick video of his highlights from one drive against LSU last season (whose entire defense seemed to get drafted last weekend). His TD run at 0:28 is what he was able to do for USC numerous times and I think the type of run that exemplifies how he intends on playing the position.

• RY4N
  • Veteran
Also, I know many of you are in Cali, and possible Southern Cal fans. So when I say USC just know I mean South Carolina! **cough** which was founded before California was even a state **ahemmm!**

Originally posted by NinerG94:
Its just you. Lattimore runs with really good balance and power two things Frank does as well but his vision is nowhere in the same vicinity as Franks nor is his cutting ability. Some of the holes his lineman were opening up were huge and yet he'd still plow into lineman and make runs a lot harder than they needed to be. He will get better in all these areas but vision is something you have or you don't have. Listen, I like Lattimore a lot and I'm not saying he has no vision, he just doesn't have what Frank has and he probably never will. Still a great pick and if he can get healthy he'll be a very good back for us and hopefully for quite a few years! GO NINERS!

As a gamecock fan I can vouch and say this is true. The only flaw I could find in Lattimore was his vision. Sometimes after a run we'd sit there like "Why the hell didn't he just cut it to the outside and run down the sideline instead of juking back towards the middle of the field to plow over the safety? It's rare to see Lattimore break it out to the sidelines and outrun a guy on the edge. He chooses to attack the middle a lot i've noticed. Not always but most of the time. He's a north and south back who runs between the tackles very well and dosent need a big hole to get yards. All he needs is a little crease and he'll find it and run through it with a vengeance.

One thing Lattimore said a few weeks ago before being drafted was "When I come back..Defenses are going to know the pain I went through. They're are going to feel my pain". THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO HEAR 49er FANS! Add that to a year of redshirting? Lattimore is going to come out like a stabled race horse to an open grass field. This is also a guy that's only going to get better as he goes. 5 years in the league with his work ethic, the way he watches film religiously, and the way he works out, there's no reason he won't excel in the NFL. You could say the only thing in his way now is an injury... but oh wait...? he's had 2 in 2 years. One to each knee (maybe the most devastating for a RB) and he's going harder now then he ever has. Many would have given up, but that's not Lattimore.
[ Edited by 49erGamecock on May 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM ]
One thing I noticed from those videos is that he needs to shorten his stride. He tries to get low but then takes monster steps and it stands him back up which allows defenders to hit him low while his foot is planted. Really the only concern I saw, vision comes with training and experience... I love that he runs like a bat out of hell everytime, but his stride makes me worry about him constantly being injured even after he comes back.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

He's very solid in pass protection. At times, he weighed in around 235 so he's a pretty big boy to try to shove around.

Also, he's never been and never will be a speed back. If you do want to categorize him, he is that north-south type of back, but has a lot of football quickness. He is not going to ever shy away from contact and the injuries he's suffered are not going to ever cause him to "play scared." Out of the 100-200 or so times over the past few seasons South Carolina's offense was in 3rd and 3 or shorter everyone knew Lattimore was getting the ball. I saw him not convert maybe a dozen times.

Here's a quick video of his highlights from one drive against LSU last season (whose entire defense seemed to get drafted last weekend). His TD run at 0:28 is what he was able to do for USC numerous times and I think the type of run that exemplifies how he intends on playing the position.

lol. He took our highly touted, hard hitting first round safety to school on that one.
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
I think Lattimore will be a good back, but I don't think he's a special back. He doesn't seem to really be elite at anything. He just seems solid all around. People keep saying he's the next Gore, but I think Gore is/was a much better back. Gore runs with much better pad level and I think hits the holes much quicker. Gore is so special because of his tremendous vision and ability to be patient, set up blocks, and hit the hole immediately. Not sure if Lattimore has that ability. I hope he does.

It doesn't look like Lattimore has much power for being over 220 pounds. His legs look kind of weak, kinda like Darren Mcfadden type of legs. He's not all that fast and not really a homerun threat. He runs high a lot and just overall doesn't look all that explosive.

Just an observation of mine. I think he'll be a good back, but I don't think he's really a game changer. Wish he was the next Adrian Peterson, Lesean Mccoy, or MJD, but I just don't really see amazing plays out of him.

Somebody tell me that I'm trippin and he's going to be a complete stud that scares the s**t out of defenses.

With what little I have seen from lattimore what impresses me is that he seems like he is just a very good all around everydown back. At 220 a 4.5 time is pretty quick, and his first cut is a commanding one . Seems like the kind of guy who can get you the short yard situations as well as average over five yards per carry. He doesn't dazzle per say but with hunter and James will form the best rb team in the nfl for years to come...
Yeah I agree with all that. How do you know he has 4.5 speed? Did he ever run?

I'm not sure where anyone heard about ML running with a high pad level. If you want to get an idea of what kind of running back Lattimore is molded to do in a game when he is 100%, maybe one of the best examples is his 2010 game against the Georgia Bulldogs. Only his second game in a college jersey, as a true freshman he had 37 carries, 182 yards, 2 TD (avg 4.9 ypc), 1 rec for 16 yards and broke 42 tackles! Yes, he broke more tackles than he had carries. To me anyways, I think he runs with great vision, patience, power, and realizes where he needs to make his first cut quicker than most any back. Which is probably the biggest concern about not rushing him back, so he can get his "first cut ability" back. Any highlight of Lattimore playing at South Carolina, you have to realize he was doing great things behind a poor to average, at best, offensive line. And SEC teams front seven aren't exactly forgiving. From what I know, the 49ers have one of the best, if not the best, offensive lines in the NFL. So I can only imagine that as long as that's the case, ML will have a chance to do great things when he's at full health.

His running style isn't going allow him to break 80+ yard TDs or burn many sub 4.4 corners, but he sure as hell will run over one. This guy is tailor-made to physically punish and drain a defense. One thing everyone notices is that when the game gets into the 4th quarter, and everyones slowing down and getting weaker, Lattimore gets stronger. It's almost a super-human thing to watch. Here I will leave a video of every carry Lattimore had in the 2010 Georgia game I was talking about. Pardon the quality/music but this will really give you an idea of what this guy is meant to do for the 49ers for many years to come.

Based off your analysis, it sounds like hes kind of in the Jerry Rice mold. Not overly physically impressive, but very good all around and only gets better as the game goes on because of his tremendous work ethic.

A few things stand out to me:
  • He is ALWAYS moving forward for a couple extra yards and finishing his runs off (did he have a single loss)? This is Gore-like
  • Elusive and shifty and gets going North-South as quickly as possible. That play at the 3:45 mark is absolutely amazing.
  • RZ - this dude has an uncanny ability to find the EZ the first time, The highlight Bill Polian (?) was talking about where he somehow scored a TD against our own Reid and several other LSU players, he said he watched numerous times and STILL couldn't figure out how he got in...they were coached to try and box him in. It didn't matter. This is an area Gore does not posses.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM ]

That's one of the most impressive things you can say about an RB...that he's gonna get it done even when everyone knows he's getting the ball.

Good to know about his pass protection abilities. I think that's an extremely important element in how much we can spread the field with Kaepernick.
He looks real good, but he doesn't look like Frank Gore to me. I don't see that jump-spin Barry Sanders-like move that Gore always did so well. But, what you do see with Lattimore is a lot of power and he really hits the hole quickly. There's no dancing around at all.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
He looks real good, but he doesn't look like Frank Gore to me. I don't see that jump-spin Barry Sanders-like move that Gore always did so well. But, what you do see with Lattimore is a lot of power and he really hits the hole quickly. There's no dancing around at all.

What back does? Gore has never been a speedy guy or a bulldozer. His vision, hole recognition, and cuts are what have made him an elite back. Honestly, I think Gore can play as long as he wants. He's not gonna rip off an 80 yard run, but he could probably play until he's 35 unless his body completely breaks down by then. He'll be reliable to pick up 5-10 yard runs all day long until he can't walk.
[ Edited by Disp on May 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
  • RY4N
  • Veteran
I believe there are too many people trying to compare Lattimore to Gore. They surely share similarities, such as having both suffered severe injuries and both are solid, powerful backs. But everyone will definitely have to let ML come into his own. Certainly under Gore's tutelage, Lattimore will grow as a running back but you will not see Frank Gore 2.0 out there when he starts to play, you'll see Marcus Lattimore. If that's what any particular person is looking for in him then you will probably be disappointed.

Although when the two share the rushing workload together, whenever that may be, I think "Frankus Lattigore" sounds kinda cool . . . maybe . . .