LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

Shop 49ers game tickets
I love what Patton is developing with Kaep, but lets not forget that last year Crabs was developing into a truly elite level NFL receiver. As for the first time he had a truly elite level QB throwing him the football. I don't know what QP will develop into but right now he's one hell of a complimentary receiver. Even if he emerges as a 1/1a I don't think that makes Crabtree expendable. We likely lose Boldin after this year, and unless Baldwin develops quickly we'll have little behind him. Manningham is a good 3rd reciever and so is Kyle Williams. I hope we get a deal done with Crabs. Though I'm much more confident with Quinton Patton playing like he has.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Crabtree is a legit #1 receiver, unless his contract demands are totally unreasonable I doubt he will be playing anywhere else anytime soon.

he is not legit,, he had one good season. people would be wide not to discount hearst fans theory. besides if the choice was keeping two out three in regards to crabs, aldon and ck,, i think we know who goes
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
meant to say wise,, sorry
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Yeah - In my opinion of a true number one is a player that dominates even when schemed against - Fitz, Megatron, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Moore. Not just a small speedster that makes a few big plays. Typically it's a big body receiver that can body out defenders and make tough catches, but also has the speed to be a deep threat. Boldin is a #1 but clearly on the downside of his career so doubt he will be with us next year, so not really a deep threat. Baldwin has all the physical attributes, but not the skill.

Who the f**k is Brandon Moore? I know a Brandon Marshall
Originally posted by cciowa:
he is not legit,, he had one good season. people would be wide not to discount hearst fans theory. besides if the choice was keeping two out three in regards to crabs, aldon and ck,, i think we know who goes

Our front office does wonders. I think we some how find a way to Keep Crabs. Restructure some1 like Rogers
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:

Our front office does wonders. I think we some how find a way to Keep Crabs. Restructure some1 like Rogers
meet you halfway. i can not see it but if they can figure it out i would be happy to have him back. However if he thinks he is worth more than what the team feels , coming off a injury and we have no clue how he will come back, if he comes back..... well its not tragic if he goes somewhere else
Originally posted by BMoore56:

meet you halfway. i can not see it but if they can figure it out i would be happy to have him back. However if he thinks he is worth more than what the team feels , coming off a injury and we have no clue how he will come back, if he comes back..... well its not tragic if he goes somewhere else

Try to resign him or draft a couple suitable receivers
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Patton chose #11. Going to be SO weird to see.

Here's an image to help the transition for you...

Still laughing.
Yeah - In my opinion of a true number one is a player that dominates even when schemed against - Fitz, Megatron, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Moore. Not just a small speedster that makes a few big plays. Typically it's a big body receiver that can body out defenders and make tough catches, but also has the speed to be a deep threat. Boldin is a #1 but clearly on the downside of his career so doubt he will be with us next year, so not really a deep threat. Baldwin has all the physical attributes, but not the skill.

Yet Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, these are also #1 WR's. I don't think anyone ever questioned that Marvin Harrison was a #1 WR , or that Isaac Bruce was a #1 and neither of those guys were monsters physically.

Basically what you're claiming is that a #1 WR has to be about 6'4" and physically dominant and that's just pure nonsense. There's plenty of top WR's who don't fit that model and still are tremendous players in their own right. The most important factor, beyond all is skill, you can have someone that's big, fast and utterly useless. A smaller guy with a ton of skill can be almost unstoppable.

I've believed since the beginning that Patton can be an NFL #1 WR, that he has that potential, and I still do.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yet Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, these are also #1 WR's. I don't think anyone ever questioned that Marvin Harrison was a #1 WR , or that Isaac Bruce was a #1 and neither of those guys were monsters physically.

Basically what you're claiming is that a #1 WR has to be about 6'4" and physically dominant and that's just pure nonsense. There's plenty of top WR's who don't fit that model and still are tremendous players in their own right. The most important factor, beyond all is skill, you can have someone that's big, fast and utterly useless. A smaller guy with a ton of skill can be almost unstoppable.

I've believed since the beginning that Patton can be an NFL #1 WR, that he has that potential, and I still do.

Skill trumps size. Heart trumps size. Work trumps size.

Size blinds. Calvin Johnson has skill, heart, and works like a dog. People tend to only look at his measurables.

You're more of a draft guru than I am and I respect your opinion almost more than any other poster, but really? I personally don't see anything elite about him, but again, i'm not a scout or a gm...
I remember back in the 80s and 90s we played the Saints every year and they had a really good number 1 receiver and his name was Eric Martin and he was not at all physically dominant but he was excellent. Another that comes to mind is the great Steve Largent in SEA. First receiver to catch 100 TDs. Skill and performance trumps measurables
Originally posted by pdizo916:
You're more of a draft guru than I am and I respect your opinion almost more than any other poster, but really? I personally don't see anything elite about him, but again, i'm not a scout or a gm...

This guy was a 3rd round pick of the Carolina Panthers, 5'9 and 185 pounds, his Combine numbers were decent, but not earth-shaking amazing.....thus far for his career he has over 11,000 yards and 60+ touchdowns. Really wasn't much elite about him, he's still been a damn good player for them for a long time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitSt01.htm

The bottom line is that nobody really knows, I feel that Patton has that potential, his excellent route running, outstanding hands, his ridiculous work ethic, I certainly can see him being incredibly successful, whether he lives up to his potential is another matter completely, but he's got all the tools to be a damn good NFL WR, more than just a complementary player.
Smooth route runner who tends to be where he's suppose to be so the QB doesn't have to find him...love this guy. So many good receivers were slow and small but size can certainly help. Biletnikoff is my favorite example of skill over measurables...aside from the stickem, he was just such a great route runner. Patton looks like a better version of Williams, who is the next smoothest receiver on the team. Manningham is also smooth. Crabtree and Boldin are more physical.

You are right. My bad. I didn't mean just physically imposing guys are #1s. Rice, Wayne, etc all were dominant without being big. They were still able to dominate in the red zone and tight coverage as a true 1 can. I do have to admit, with Kap throwing, crabs look much more like a 1.
Share 49ersWebzone